Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

How are these communities viewed on Long Island? I know they are predominately black communities with a big middle to upper middle class population for their size, but how are they viewed by the people on Long Island in general? Are there any other similar communities on Long Island as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Both communities I think get stereotyped a little due to the demographic makeup. Overall I think both are viewed fairly positively though not as good as they probably should be.

Nothing against Lakeview, because its a fine area, but I do think Wheatley Heights is the better of those two. A bit higher income levels in Wheatley Heights (which I believe is the highest income predominately African American community in the entire country), and Wheatley Heights is also in the Half Hollow Hills school district, which is one of the top districts on all of Long Island. Overall both very nice and underrated communities.

As far as similar communities, while not having the minority population Wheatley Heights or Lakeview has, Valley Stream and Baldwin have both seen large increases in their minority population over the past decade or so, and despite the posts here and there from some people that might try to paint a different picture, both areas have remained nice communities and mostly middle class as well.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:29 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Thanks for your response. I was just wondering and what said seems to be sincere.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 AM

213 posts, read 702,919 times
Default Lakeview

I live in the community nieghboring Lakeview and know many families from there. There are many very nice parts and some run down parts as well although you will find that in most communities. Lakeview has a great park, a beautiful library and a nature preserve. The downside is there are not many commercial businesses there. Many families shop in Malverne and West Hempstead. All the people I've met through the schools are wonderful. They are caring parents and civic minded residents. There is a group of elder men and school coaches that do a wonderful job at keeping the children engaged in sports and a watchful eye on kids at risk. The schools have improved dramatically in the last 10 years. I've been to several homes in Lakeview some with properties 300 feet deep, tennis and basketball courts as well as inground pools. I don't know anything about Wheatley so can't help you there.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:29 PM

222 posts, read 892,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Both communities I think get stereotyped a little due to the demographic makeup. Overall I think both are viewed fairly positively though not as good as they probably should be.

Nothing against Lakeview, because its a fine area, but I do think Wheatley Heights is the better of those two. A bit higher income levels in Wheatley Heights (which I believe is the highest income predominately African American community in the entire country), and Wheatley Heights is also in the Half Hollow Hills school district, which is one of the top districts on all of Long Island. Overall both very nice and underrated communities.

As far as similar communities, while not having the minority population Wheatley Heights or Lakeview has, Valley Stream and Baldwin have both seen large increases in their minority population over the past decade or so, and despite the posts here and there from some people that might try to paint a different picture, both areas have remained nice communities and mostly middle class as well.
Though well intentioned, this post is not completely accurate. Places like Bowie and Mitchellville in PG county,MD, have a much higher concentration of A.A. with median incomes well into the six-figure range. I've been all through Wheatley Heights and the benefit of living there as an A.A. is that you can buy a home for about 1/2 of what it would cost on the Dix Hills side, while getting the Half-hollow hills s.d.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,452 times
isnt some of wheatly heights also in wyandanch schools?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
Though well intentioned, this post is not completely accurate. Places like Bowie and Mitchellville in PG county,MD, have a much higher concentration of A.A. with median incomes well into the six-figure range. I've been all through Wheatley Heights and the benefit of living there as an A.A. is that you can buy a home for about 1/2 of what it would cost on the Dix Hills side, while getting the Half-hollow hills s.d.
Just looked up those two. Bowie (at least of the 2000 census) was 61% white, which has declined quite a Wheatley heights likely has a klrger African American popilation. Bowie's current median income as of 2007 was a hair lower than Wheatley Heights, though the difference is minute ($95,000 to $96,000). You are correct in regards to Mitchellville.

Last edited by Smash255; 01-09-2009 at 09:48 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
isnt some of wheatly heights also in wyandanch schools?
Looking at a few maps it seems there might be a very small section with a handful of houses that are Wheatley Heights that are zoned for Wyandanch. Doesn't look like anything more than 10 houses or so that could possibly be in the Wyandanch district, and depending exactly on how the borders of the district are it might just be a house or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island