Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 12:07 PM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times

Advertisements

Rocky Point seems affordable, good schools, and a great value for a north shore town. I know nothing about it, but when looking at MLS I've noticed 3 sections, Tides, Pickwick, and North Shore Beach. Any input on these 3? Which is the best? Also, homes that are in the Tides/Pickwick section have high taxes, what are the chances I'd be successful in grieving them?

If I'm searching with the map, what streets do these sections fall between?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 02:00 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Rocky Point seems affordable, good schools, and a great value for a north shore town. I know nothing about it, but when looking at MLS I've noticed 3 sections, Tides, Pickwick, and North Shore Beach. Any input on these 3? Which is the best? Also, homes that are in the Tides/Pickwick section have high taxes, what are the chances I'd be successful in grieving them?

If I'm searching with the map, what streets do these sections fall between?

Excellent choice.

Great schools, reasonable taxes, miles of beachfront and a 5000 acre Nature preserve just 60 mi from NYC are tough to beat.

Above alll the main reason I love it here is the tight sense of community and the humble pride of the people.

It's really a matter of preference.Tides/Pickwick are nice North Shore Suburban fare but Old Rocky Point aka North Shore Beach is really ecclectic. Houses range greatly block by block from bungalow roads to Million dollar Soundfront Contemporaries. I love it over here,the taxes are much lower too.
As for the Tides, some peope want wider streets, curbs and streetlights.
I like NSB. Its like living in the country on LI... a real working mans paradise.

NSB is East of Hallock Landing Rd to Shoreham border.

Tides/Pickwick/The Terraces/Oak Hiils and the Historic District(my favorite) are to the west.

Feel free to PM me about anything.

crooks

PS Tides taxes are low in relation to other homes/towns on the North Shore.
NSB is just lower due to the density smaller plots.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Rocky Point

For those who may not be familiar with Rocky Point:

Rocky Point is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the north central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Rocky Point in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Sound Beach and Long Island Sound; on the east by the Village of Shoreham and the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Ridge; on the south by the Hamlet of Middle Island; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Miller Place and the Hamlet of Sound Beach.

The Hamlet of Rocky Point has a different border than does the "Rocky Point, NY 11778" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Rocky Point and a place can have other than a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Rocky Point): places that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Rocky Point are in the Hamlet of Sound Beach; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Rocky Point that have a "Shoreham, NY 11786" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 01-17-2009, 06:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Sound Beach

The Tides may have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address but it's not in the Hamlet of Rocky Point; it's in the part of the Hamlet of Sound Beach that's in the "Rocky Point, NY 11778" ZIP Code postal zone.

For those who may not be familiar with Sound Beach:

Sound Beach is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north-center part of
the Town of Brookhaven, in the north-central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of
Sound Beach in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Long Island
Sound; on the east by the Hamlet of Rocky Point; on the south by the Hamlet
of Rocky Point and the Hamlet of Miller Place; and, on the west by the Hamlet
of Miller Place.

The Hamlet of Sound Beach has a different border than does the "Sound Beach, NY 11789" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have other than a "Sound Beach, NY 11789" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Sound Beach): there are places in the Hamlet of Sound Beach that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 PM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Excellent choice.

Great schools, reasonable taxes, miles of beachfront and a 5000 acre Nature preserve just 60 mi from NYC are tough to beat.

Above alll the main reason I love it here is the tight sense of community and the humble pride of the people.

It's really a matter of preference.Tides/Pickwick are nice North Shore Suburban fare but Old Rocky Point aka North Shore Beach is really ecclectic. Houses range greatly block by block from bungalow roads to Million dollar Soundfront Contemporaries. I love it over here,the taxes are much lower too.
As for the Tides, some peope want wider streets, curbs and streetlights.
I like NSB. Its like living in the country on LI... a real working mans paradise.

NSB is East of Hallock Landing Rd to Shoreham border.

Tides/Pickwick/The Terraces/Oak Hiils and the Historic District(my favorite) are to the west.

Feel free to PM me about anything.

crooks

PS Tides taxes are low in relation to other homes/towns on the North Shore.
NSB is just lower due to the density smaller plots.

Thanks for the input.

The only thing that concerns me is the number of rentals. Are a lot of the small bungalows rental properties?

We're going to a couple open houses this weekend. So many reasonably priced houses! Too bad they're on small lots.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Thanks for the input.

The only thing that concerns me is the number of rentals. Are a lot of the small bungalows rental properties?

We're going to a couple open houses this weekend. So many reasonably priced houses! Too bad they're on small lots.
We dont have any rentals on our block.(not to say that there arent any)
The NSB community really shifted to owner occupied over the last 10 years.Before that there were plenty of summer rentals.

Alot of the bungalows were bought up and expanded back when you could keep 1 wall up and beat the taxes.

As for the plots...not sure what youre looking for but were on 1/4 acre which is fairly standard for this side of town.

Tides is about 1/3-1/2.

Oak Hills is 1 Acre.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island