Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You pour it in the tank, it's like the same thing as a fuel additive for your car or truck. Plumbing supply place should carry it. Maybe Home Depot or Lowes too, but I prefer to get it from the same place the pro's go.

What, exactly, is it called...do you have a brand name too ?

Thanks very much ! The puff back was 8 months of HORROR ! Between the insurance company and the vendors, it was a NIGHTMARE ! I don't want to repeat it !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,445 times
my son bought a house "as is". filled oil tank and burner will not kick in. Repair peple claim tank is full of sludge. what can we do?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Repair people must be idiots then...
If tank is full of sludge, it will have to be cleaned, however, most likely the filter is completely clogged or the feed tube has an obstruction or blockage. It'sa very simple maintenance procedure to get the burner to kick on. If it is a serious sludge build up problem then you will have intermittant problems with the burner not firing as the feed tube picks up sludge chunks.

If the repair company already serviced the burner(new filter, blow out line, new nozzle, etc)and it is still not firing, then you probabally have another issue going on.
If there is just a blockage or clogged filter, the burner should at least try to start and then kick off(trips the reset button). If nothing at all is happening then it is most likely an electrical or mechanical issue and not a sludge problem.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 AM

6 posts, read 24,043 times
We have a 550 gal tank, too, old and underground. We had it vacuumed several times without success, and still need to turn off the burner and free-standing hot water oil heater for AT LEAST 6 hours! Otherwise, as we had happen in the past when we did not follow this practice, we would lose both domestic hot water and radiant heat because of sludge clogging in the valves and filter. This has been a ongoing challenge--we tried to change the tanks but Village ordinances said "no"--none in the basement and none facing an adjacent house or street. Maybe time for gas heating? It seems to be my only solution, as I am also terrified of developing a leak-then what!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:07 PM

111 posts, read 412,857 times
i had my tank cleaned out and did the maintenance. I have not done the maintenance this year and the tank went close to empty. I got it filled to 194 gallons and still no clogs or problems. They also put zinc balls inside the tank for the rust. There is no problems... yet!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 PM

880 posts, read 2,024,375 times
Don't turn off your burner lower your thermostat 10 degrees you will still get hot water

Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
makes sense... my Meenan guy would question whether I just got a delivery whenever my burner stopped working (usually filter)... wasn't always the case that I got a delivery but the point is that they infer it can happen.

I don't turn it off but perhaps I should - problem is the delivery trucker comes and goes in stealth mode.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,212 times
Would it help if you have a bottom feeder from the oil tank to the burner ? Gravity feeds it now, and there is no return line, there was one before as it was an underground tank. I put a new above ground tank and the install guys said that it (bottom feed / gravity feed) was much better because it will never build any sludge (he called it bacteria poop !!)
The little water that trickles down to the bottom of the tank will be burnt by the burner without an issue.
He said take the water due to condensation out of the picture and there is nothing to worry about. No stopping burner during refills etc....

Was he smoking crack ??

Old 02-18-2010, 03:37 PM

6 posts, read 24,043 times
I forgot one addtl item to my post above!....

My oil company calls me the day before we get a delivery, reminding us to turn off the burner as they will be coming to do a "big drop! I stay with them because of that courtesy!

Old 11-15-2018, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 780 times
Like all misinformed dumb dumbs I have 30 years of trial and many errors. I try to always shut down my boiler before fill! When I traveled we would run out of oil 6 kids and often one kid would get 50 gallons diesel in a barrel I set up for emergency. Over the years because it’s a grade level fill I bet my kids put 10lbs rock and dirt. You most definitely will suck up whatever is in your tank if your boiler kicks on or you turn it on before an hour at least depending on how bad you think your tank is. Your oil follows through a literal pin hole a piece of hair would disrupt the nozzle. I may not be an expert on boilers but I promise I’m a black seal engineer on mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island