Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 PM

138 posts, read 270,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's the only way many people from LI reach mortgage and rent-free "utopia" when they move ... on the backs of the young starting out trying to buy a home that previously took 1 income to sustain and today takes 2 incomes to sustain. The housing bubble has definitely polarized the winners and losers when it comes to standard of living. Some people live housing payment free in brand new homes while others are killing themselves just to put a 50-year old roof over their heads. Not much middle ground available. As for those who move south and have no overpriced LI home to sell, I wonder how well they fare ...
great point as usual!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,321,336 times
I lived just about my whole life on LI. It is not the utopia I thought it was. That is was all I knew.After a job relocation there are other utopias. There are other places with quality of life albeit lower taxes and more affordable housing-LI is not the end all.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
I lived just about my whole life on LI. It is not the utopia I thought it was. That is was all I knew.After a job relocation there are other utopias. There are other places with quality of life albeit lower taxes and more affordable housing-LI is not the end all.

But it is the Be-All.

Having traveled extensively with my work.
Ive yet to find anywhere near as complete.
Including NoVA.

crooks

Old 02-25-2009, 08:21 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Good lord, NOVA is the opposite of the Be-All, except that it be all the things I left Long Island about and doesn't even have a beach.
We looked at moving to the area 20 years ago and after spending time up there figured we'd might as well just move back to the Island. What kept us from doing that was the tax shock of '89 and a bunch of fellow ex-pat Islanders. Thank God for the tax shock as we've done well in CVA.!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 AM

Same as ClarkStreet-CVA-not NOVA. (We were probably neighbors)

Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Nuckols/Shady Grove area.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM

294 posts, read 743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Crime pretty much actually continued to go down here on Long Island, in 07 (the 08 data isn't out yet) crime reached 43 year lows in Nassau County, a crime rate which was already far lower than the national average.
I'm one of those who's been yearning to leave Long Island because of the high cost of living, but you've touched on one thing that's very easy to overlook - considering the high population we have here, the crime rate is ASTOUNDINGLY low!!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Nuckols/Shady Grove area.
Nuckols/Pouncey Tract N

Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
OK, the only school district that matters is the one that you or your kids go to. To say that Long Island has better schools than X is a little misleading if your kids don't go there or stand a chance of going there.

rocafeller05,
Hard for me to answer as my wife went to Cold Spring Harbor and I went to North Babylon, and our neighborhood is a bit different than the ones both of us grew up in. I'd have to say that the schools would be what you would find in an upper middle class Long Island neighborhood but newer and less expensive. All in all we are very happy with the schools, principles and teachers.

Here's a link to the high school.
Deep Run High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the elementary schools my kids went to...
http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/es/riversedge/l (broken link)
These debates still make me chuckle...there are good schools throughout the US, usually of higher density in larger metropolitan areas. Glen Allen, VA appears to have fine schools, Long Island has some great/good/bad schools, Texas, Jersey, blah blah blah... I happen to live in Long Island because I have a good career, make a good living and like the schools and area I live in. I can not move to Glen Allen, because my job and success is presently here. That might change, and guess what, I might move...it is all pretty simple. But I also live in a SPECIFIC town. In choosing to live in Smithtown, I am not by geographic relationship also choosing to live in every single other town in this region. So my kids schools are not better off because Cold Spring Harbor or Syosset schools are deemed to be excellent...nor does my town go up or down in reputation based on these other villages/cities, where a crime might have occurred or bad test scores came out of some low performing district.

One Poster ranted earlier in this thread about Manhasset, choosing to base their opinion on long island, on their one town. I will most likely never drive through or near Manhasset in the next twenty years...this has nothing to do with where I live. It is not even in the same county. All of Jersey is bad because Newark stinks??? And this same logic should be applied to areas outside of Long Island. Clark Street appears to live in a nice area with good schools: In his particular town/county/whatever.

Because Central VA might not have "x" number of Intel Science award winners has nothing to do with the quality of education where he lives. If Glen Allen could be considered on par with, I don't know, Wantagh schools, but the neighboring counties where performing like Hempstead, it doesn't matter. He doesn't live there...broad brush strokes about a region are inaccurate and foolish.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Jrprofess...GREAT POST...and rep points from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island