Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times

Advertisements

Well... yes and no. Neighboring schools and neighborhoods do affect you, though indirectly. It's pretty rare to have one gem of a district surrounded by struggling ones.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:07 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Because Central VA might not have "x" number of Intel Science award winners has nothing to do with the quality of education where he lives. If Glen Allen could be considered on par with, I don't know, Wantagh schools, but the neighboring counties where performing like Hempstead, it doesn't matter. He doesn't live there...broad brush strokes about a region are inaccurate and foolish.
Excellent points and I agree. Within our county we have two highly ranked schools, a bunch in the middle and some bad ones that the county is trying to turn around. So if you moved to Henrico county for the schools you'd still have to find which ones were performing to the standards you want and try to avoid the others. Like some folks on Long Island we picked our neighborhood based on which schools the kids would go to and not on county wide scores. So schools, like politics, is pretty local.

FWIW, I posted the links to the schools trying to answer Roc's question and not to try to sell the area. Hope nobody thought otherwise.
Go NB! Go Bulldogs!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,435 times
I left because....
I don't want to live next to a place called Islandia
They moved my exit on the L.I.E while I was gone
What the hell is a Bogoda?
$8 for a pack of smokes!. You people are nuts!
La Suffolka Ave is a scary place. Si?
GOD, GEORGIA IS SO MUCH BETTER THEN NY. GO DAWGS!

I miss the pizza and bagels

Last edited by TrueIrish; 02-27-2009 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-27-2009, 05:26 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
These debates still make me chuckle...there are good schools throughout the US, usually of higher density in larger metropolitan areas. Glen Allen, VA appears to have fine schools, Long Island has some great/good/bad schools, Texas, Jersey, blah blah blah... I happen to live in Long Island because I have a good career, make a good living and like the schools and area I live in. I can not move to Glen Allen, because my job and success is presently here. That might change, and guess what, I might move...it is all pretty simple. But I also live in a SPECIFIC town. In choosing to live in Smithtown, I am not by geographic relationship also choosing to live in every single other town in this region. So my kids schools are not better off because Cold Spring Harbor or Syosset schools are deemed to be excellent...nor does my town go up or down in reputation based on these other villages/cities, where a crime might have occurred or bad test scores came out of some low performing district.

One Poster ranted earlier in this thread about Manhasset, choosing to base their opinion on long island, on their one town. I will most likely never drive through or near Manhasset in the next twenty years...this has nothing to do with where I live. It is not even in the same county. All of Jersey is bad because Newark stinks??? And this same logic should be applied to areas outside of Long Island. Clark Street appears to live in a nice area with good schools: In his particular town/county/whatever.

Because Central VA might not have "x" number of Intel Science award winners has nothing to do with the quality of education where he lives. If Glen Allen could be considered on par with, I don't know, Wantagh schools, but the neighboring counties where performing like Hempstead, it doesn't matter. He doesn't live there...broad brush strokes about a region are inaccurate and foolish.
crooks

Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Well... yes and no. Neighboring schools and neighborhoods do affect you, though indirectly. It's pretty rare to have one gem of a district surrounded by struggling ones.
???

Garden City/Hempstead/Uniondale

Merrick/Roosevelt/Freeport

Half Hollow/Wyandanch/Brentwood

etc.

crooks

Old 02-27-2009, 06:35 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
^^ Good point Crooks!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Good point Crooks!
To be honest.I think its very common to have boutique districts surrounded by fair to poor.

crooks

Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIrish View Post
I left because....
I don't want to live next to a place called Islandia
They moved my exit on the L.I.E while I was gone
What the hell is a Bogoda?
$8 for a pack of smokes!. You people are nuts!
La Suffolka Ave is a scary place. Si?
GOD, GEORGIA IS SO MUCH BETTER THEN NY. GO DAWGS!

I miss the pizza and bagels

West Islip/CI/Brentwood

Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
Yes, GC is next to some bad districts. But the other side (north) is fine. It's not an island in a sea of poverty. Go east from Merrick, also fine. Half Hollow doesn't border Brentwood, and again... other side fine. What you're describing is good districts that are right on the line between good and bad areas. An island would be something like Beverly Hills (completely surrounded by LA Unified).

What I'm saying you don't usually see is one fantastic district where every other nearby school is awful.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
These debates still make me chuckle...there are good schools throughout the US, usually of higher density in larger metropolitan areas. Glen Allen, VA appears to have fine schools, Long Island has some great/good/bad schools, Texas, Jersey, blah blah blah... I happen to live in Long Island because I have a good career, make a good living and like the schools and area I live in. I can not move to Glen Allen, because my job and success is presently here. That might change, and guess what, I might move...it is all pretty simple. But I also live in a SPECIFIC town. In choosing to live in Smithtown, I am not by geographic relationship also choosing to live in every single other town in this region. So my kids schools are not better off because Cold Spring Harbor or Syosset schools are deemed to be excellent...nor does my town go up or down in reputation based on these other villages/cities, where a crime might have occurred or bad test scores came out of some low performing district.

One Poster ranted earlier in this thread about Manhasset, choosing to base their opinion on long island, on their one town. I will most likely never drive through or near Manhasset in the next twenty years...this has nothing to do with where I live. It is not even in the same county. All of Jersey is bad because Newark stinks??? And this same logic should be applied to areas outside of Long Island. Clark Street appears to live in a nice area with good schools: In his particular town/county/whatever.

This is the Jrprofess mantra and it's so true, if I hadn't given you too many (according to C-D) rep points already I'd give another for this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island