Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Actually you are the one who made the positive assertion that the southern mentality leads to more violence than here on LI - it's up to you to post the stats that prove what you said. He can say your statement is foolish without looking like a fool since he didn't make the assertion! Debating 101 (which gets torn to shreds on the internet).
There is more violence in NC than on LI, or in NYS for that matter.

I made the positive assertion that this was a result of the Southern Mentality, which one can disagree with or call foolish, but the simple fact is you are much more likely to be a victim of violent crime in NC than on LI or in NY state for that matter, and assault is included in that. Just about everything else said on the subject is conjecture and opinion, including what I said about the Southern Mentality. Guilty as charged.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Right - you read it on the internet.

I've spent plenty of time in Nassau county - growing up on LI in my 40+ years. I worked in Charlotte (<gasp> Mecklenburg county) for over a year living in a suburban county North of that city during that time. Can you believe I'm still here?!

I didn't experience the "southern mentality" that you mention (based on your internet searches from your Mom's basement)... and I know plenty about the "LI mentality" that you so highly are showing here. Guess you made your choice and I made mine.
So now the FBI statistics are put on the internet to help me defeat arguments you make.

Yep, I'm sitting here in my moms basement. Apart from being a statistics whiz, you are a brilliant psychological profiler.

And you're over 40 and use the term "fail". Do some self profiling, grandpa.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 PM

416 posts, read 698,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There is more violence in NC than on LI, or in NYS for that matter.

I made the positive assertion that this was a result of the Southern Mentality, which one can disagree with or call foolish, but the simple fact is you are much more likely to be a victim of violent crime in NC than on LI or in NY state for that matter, and assault is included in that. Just about everything else said on the subject is conjecture and opinion, including what I said about the Southern Mentality. Guilty as charged.
I'm not saying I disagree with anything you are posting, you just can't call the guy foolish for disagreeing.

I have anecdotes about the south as well, and I'll tell you that if someone cuts me off here on LI I'll flip them the bird, but I will just let it go down south - there's a reason for that.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
I'm not saying I disagree with anything you are posting, you just can't call the guy foolish for disagreeing.

I have anecdotes about the south as well, and I'll tell you that if someone cuts me off here on LI I'll flip them the bird, but I will just let it go down south - there's a reason for that.
Of course, and that's all I was saying. Southerners, as a broad sweeping generalization, shorter fuse, more likely to have guns.

But Mikey comes in calling people foolish...being all mean. What am I supposed to do, let that go? I have a reputation to uphold here.

Ah Mondays.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:23 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
wow. I'm gone 45 minutes and the thread is 3 pages longer...

Old 03-01-2010, 02:29 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So now the FBI statistics are put on the internet to help me defeat arguments you make.

Yep, I'm sitting here in my moms basement. Apart from being a statistics whiz, you are a brilliant psychological profiler.

And you're over 40 and use the term "fail". Do some self profiling, grandpa.
haha - I'm liking you more and more with each post... I'm stuck on your original post and you're stuck on 1 word I used. If it makes you feel any better, I picked it up from the kids - sorry! Basing your argument for "southern mentality" on crime stats and me using "fail" we'll have to get past it. How did we not go head to head in the past?!

Either way, I can cruise the FBI site and get myself wrapped up in knots or I could take the stats in support of my 1st hand knowledge of both places. Just like in Nassau, there are areas I would avoid in Wake/Mecklenburg/ or XYZ county USA. If crime is a factor of cost for law enforcement, I'd submit that Nassau county is way too high (but that's an argument for another thread that would get locked anyway). I could get you really spinning with Union County NC... the FBI doesn't list violent crimes because of "under reporting" - ohoh conspiracy!

Anyway, this is all fun... but in seriousness - I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a population density and crime stats to match Nassau. You have too much data to throw around.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:30 PM

416 posts, read 698,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
wow. I'm gone 45 minutes and the thread is 3 pages longer...
What's the bigger shocker... the thread increased by 3 pages in 45 minutes...

or...

the fact that hotkarl was away from city-data for 45 minutes!!!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
dman is right about Wake County - that's where all the New Yorkers are. But I question the Wake vs Nassau crime stats - link please? There were 18 murders in all of Raleigh (city limits) last year. There are towns on Long Island that have close to that, Hempstead probably has more.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:59 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
dman is right about Wake County - that's where all the New Yorkers are.
That's just not true. Seriously.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucyaussie View Post
dman is right about wake county - that's where all the new yorkers are. But i question the wake vs nassau crime stats - link please? There were 18 murders in all of raleigh (city limits) last year. There are towns on long island that have close to that, hempstead probably has more.

g

o

o

g

l

e
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island