Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times

Advertisements

I would much rather live in West Hempstead than anywhere in North Carolina.

Just saying, since we're sticking to anecdotes here...

Old 03-02-2010, 01:47 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

Fair enough. Why?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Fair enough. Why?
Hard to say exactly, but the idea of me shooting the breeze with all the other disenchanted Long Island carpetbaggers in some spotless McMansion tract housing plot on the outskirts of the Triangle makes me want to vomit profusely. Nothing about the state is appealing to me, aside from the cost.....actually, from pictures I've seen there is plenty of natural beauty in the mountains, but for me it's totally ruined by the disgusting-ness of most of the housing developments. Those things might look "nice" and "expensive" now, but they're not gonna age well. Mark my word. I would take a 1950s Cape in West Hempstead any day.

Plus crime seems to be a big issue in NC, and I like that New York is the closest city. I wouldn't feel satisfied living in the shadow of some off-brand up and coming NASCAR town.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:

Me too...and you know Im not a Nassau guy.

Pretty soon the bill will be due for the NC flavor of the week.

No free rides kids.

Crooks

Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
So much angst... yikes. Sorry I had to take some time away from the computer. Very happy I'm not moving to Cary or a McMansion. sheesh

I don't understand why people who are so happy and content where they live care so much to disparage an area that others choose... It seems to me like that kid in school who makes themselves feel better by putting down others. I'm more then certain this could apply both ways, but hey - you guys got on a roll.

Crooks - "Pretty soon" "Bill due" "No free rides" ??? What does all that mean?
lot of hate there...

Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Hard to say exactly, but the idea of me shooting the breeze with all the other disenchanted Long Island carpetbaggers in some spotless McMansion tract housing plot on the outskirts of the Triangle makes me want to vomit profusely. Nothing about the state is appealing to me, aside from the cost.....actually, from pictures I've seen there is plenty of natural beauty in the mountains, but for me it's totally ruined by the disgusting-ness of most of the housing developments. Those things might look "nice" and "expensive" now, but they're not gonna age well. Mark my word. I would take a 1950s Cape in West Hempstead any day.

Plus crime seems to be a big issue in NC, and I like that New York is the closest city. I wouldn't feel satisfied living in the shadow of some off-brand up and coming NASCAR town.
Oh, gawd, you had to bring up crime again??

I understand what you are saying but not everyone lives in a McMansion tract house. There are some really nice older areas of Raleigh, Cary and Chapel Hill that look very similar to Long Island. In much of Raleigh you could easily think you are driving through Garden City or Manhasset. And there is plenty of tract housing going up on Long Island in places like Manorville.

Really, more similarities than differences between the two places. The biggest differences being LI has beaches and NYC, while NC has affordability and "friendlier" people. Just my observations.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:

I notice you didn't say "anywhere" in West Hempstead....lol.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:37 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Really, more similarities than differences between the two places. The biggest differences being LI has beaches and NYC, while NC has affordability and "friendlier" people. Just my observations.
it's truly a miracle that NC only gets the friendliest of transplants from the northeast. How come all the jerks stay put? Or does everyone get magically transformed into Ned Flanders once they get south of DC?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
So much angst... yikes. Sorry I had to take some time away from the computer. Very happy I'm not moving to Cary or a McMansion. sheesh

I don't understand why people who are so happy and content where they live care so much to disparage an area that others choose... It seems to me like that kid in school who makes themselves feel better by putting down others. I'm more then certain this could apply both ways, but hey - you guys got on a roll.

Crooks - "Pretty soon" "Bill due" "No free rides" ??? What does all that mean?
lot of hate there...
Actually it seems on C-D that the people who have moved away like to come to the LI forum and bash LI instead of just being happy where they are and then the LI'ers get defensive! (Some posters have actually NEVER posted once in their new location's forum, yet are constantly posting on the LI forum attempting to "brag" about all they think they now have and to put down LI ... something is wrong with that, I'm sorry!) Some people are bound and determined with their agenda to show current LI'ers the "error of their ways" for staying on LI.

To me, if someone wants to move from LI, then fine, move, and I sincerely hope you are happy wherever you end up!

I have asked this question before ... but is LI the only place where whole angst-filled threads are devoted to the pros and cons of staying or going?

To me if someone wants to move off LI, it's their business, not mine.

Yet there are so many threads filled with the "for" or "against" staying on LI.

I mean do they see this in the San Diego, CA forum, etc., etc., like we do here on the LI forum?

PS: I think Crooks means the taxes will rise steeply to accommodate services for all the newcomers ...

Old 03-02-2010, 02:41 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Wow a thread this long and I'm not on it, I must be slipping

Truth be told I was looking at the Triangle area as a possible move for many years. I have been traveling/ vacationing there since 2002. The reason I became a member and my first few posts were about the area. I got put off the area back a few years ago and I mentioned why.

I'll give you the cliff notes. With all the growth it started to look like L.I and even sounded like L.I..... smaller lots, higher home prices, litter, crime going up, traffic, over-crowded schools. The school system is in complete shambles

It was a blessing in disguise the last time I was there. In just a short period of just a few years, I could see the changes and it wasn't for the better. Now when you lump me into all the people that moved there I just laugh. My town is so much better you can even make a comparison. But people from the Island don't know but that's ok...we all have our opinions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island