Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:52 PM

158 posts, read 189,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
There have been prior threads about this subject where people explain their theories in detail that have not taken a turn for the facetious. Run a search and check them out.
thanks, I found this recent one

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...s-cheaper.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What in the "F" were they thinking with this reassessment crap?
They were thinking of a bigger pot for themselves for their personal slush funds and gimmes and their huge salaries for things like tiny water departments, etc. I never knew it could be so lucrative to be a local politician. We may criticize Newsday (with good reason in most cases), but Newsday does come up with some investigative reporting that shows the shockingly self-centered attitude of those with the power to spend the taxpayers' money on themselves and their cronies.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:15 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
According to Nassau County Police officers...who responded to my complaint, when I was mugged on the edge of Hicksville-Levittown...on a continuing basis, Elmont is used as a...ahem...safe haven, as it were, of ACTUAL, roving bands of Criminals, who "terrorize" the surrounding areas committing various types of crimes.

Elmont is used as a "safe haven", because of obvious reasons, directly related to, ahem...ethnicity and skin color, AND that the general population there seems to be unwilling to cooperate with ANY LEGAL AUTHORITY, embracing this Criminal Element, just on general principles, again relating to...ahem...ethnicity.

These types of communities, in general, embrace this Criminal Element to the point of actually obstructing justice. This is NOT to say there is NOT, SOME, Fear of retribution, but mostly it's a Ethnic Thing.

Sounds unbelieveable, Huh ?
OK let me try to translate this:

When you were mugged near the Levittown-Hicksville border, the Nassau County Police Officers who responded to your report told you the crime was likely committed by residents of Elmont - due to their ethnicity. Now, before I continue translating I'd like to point out that if this occurred where you say, it would have been the 8th Precinct responding....which doesn't cover an area anywhere near Elmont...but anyway, these police officers told you that roving gangs of criminals regularly depart from Elmont and travel ten miles or so to the other side of the county to rob people in Levittown. In addition, the community in Elmont is generally tied into this organized petty crime ring and does not cooperate with the police, partly in fear of retribution for "snitching". It's like an episode of The Wire. Oh, and another reason they don't cooperate is because they are African-American (I assume) and predisposed to hate police and harbor criminals, by your estimation.

Aside from this obviously being bogus, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the police told you this. The 8th Precinct is a notoriously racist and aggressive branch of the NCPD. A lot of people who live in Levittown have had major problems with them. The story about the gangs of criminals, and Elmont being a scumbag safe haven? Totally made up. That is not reality....there aren't gangs of criminals driving all the way across the County just to rob someone in Levittown. That's retarded. I should have figured it came from a cop.

I also don't know how the mods are allowing you to post things like "Elmont is used as a "safe haven", because of obvious reasons, directly related to, ahem...ethnicity and skin color"....the only explanation seems to be that they can't make any sense of what you write.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:50 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
The house in Levittown is fine for a young couple just starting out. The extra bathroom is very easy to put in directly over the first floor one. There are so many homes in the area that have been expanded to the point as being unrecognizable from the orginal cookie cutter homes. I suggested talking with the neighbors and asking who their contractors were.

The price, taxes are great for a starter home. The more that is updated and expanded the more the return, if they decide to sell in the future. If not, then it will easily accommodate a growing family.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:30 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The only thing keeping housing prices down in Levittown is the fact that not enough of the houses have the following:

cherrywood kitchens with ss appliances,

ceramic tile and hardwood floors throughout,

master bedroom suite with joining bathroom that includes his and hers sinks, a separate shower and a jacuzzi bath, fancy imported marble and tile are also a requirement, oh almost forgot the walk in closet.

full finished basement with "man room",

open floorplan with sliders leading out to a fancy masonry style patio,

white pvc fencing,

cobblestone driveway,

bathroom on every level,

bedrooms are smaller than 20x15, thus not big enough for a home office,

fireplace on every level,

Am I missing something? probabally. Let me go watch "House Hunters" again to be sure...sheesh!
I wish people would stop following everything on HGTV like brainless sheep.
(no disrespect to actual sheep, and I appolgize if I offended any sheep)

I watch these shows basically because they do have some merit as far as designs and colors etc, and I am in the process of renovating my house, but when I see these house hunting shows, they lead you to believe that the stuff I listed above is a necessity if you want to sell your house. Like every house has this stuff and the few that don't wont sell. It's totally ridiculous and very unrealistic. And even when they feature a first time home buyer on the show that doesn't have a pot to **** in, they are hell bent on these features in a home. "oh, these cabinets are maple, yuck, this kitchen will HAVE to be renovated".
Please.

Levittown=Not HGTV friendly. For the most part.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of magnificent homes in Levittown.
And, the beauty of Levittown is that the original Levitt home is actually a cape, but with a smaller footprint than usual.
Capes=infinitely expandable & infinite possibilites.
What's missing? Originally, the houses were also built without a garage. Some people added a carport, which were often converted to garages.

I've had quite a few young couples/first time homeowners who were interested in homes in Levittown and many bought there. It's a great family neighborhood if you find "your" home.
And the "sameness" of the original development is long gone with all the improvements and additions, giving the town enough "individuality".

Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I went on the MLS for giggles, there are a bunch of foreclosures and bank sales for Levittown. The houses are a real bargain though if you want to get your foot in the door to home ownership. They are basically giving some of them away compared to the rest of the stock out there. Although yes, most of the real cheap stuff is untouched and almost original. I saw one house that said "recently updated"...when? in 1977? It looked untouched. Even outside. I was looking at the pictures real hard to see any "updates" and didn't see anything. I also noticed the taxes are kinda high too. Some made sense because of some bigger lot sizes, but there were a few on regular 50X100 lots with no major upgrades to the house with taxes in the 9's.
Shows how off kilter the Nassau assessment program is.
Some real bargains to be found in Levittown if your handy.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:46 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,051 times
For one thing - Levittown is attracting many first time Hispanic home buyers. Which I think is great, but other buyers may not appreciate. Levittown is increasingly more diverse.

Summit Lane School
4 Summit Ln
Levittown, NY 11756 3044
516-520-8385
Locale: Large suburban

Grades KG - 05
Students 516
Teachers (fte's) 48.3
Pupil/teacher ratio 10.7
Expen. per pupil $17,444

Student Body Composition
White 75.8%
Black 1.4%
Asian, Pacific Isl. 5.6%
Native American 0.0%
Hispanic 17.2%
Eligible for free lunch 11.0%

Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
OK let me try to translate this:

When you were mugged near the Levittown-Hicksville border, the Nassau County Police Officers who responded to your report told you the crime was likely committed by residents of Elmont - due to their ethnicity. Now, before I continue translating I'd like to point out that if this occurred where you say, it would have been the 8th Precinct responding....which doesn't cover an area anywhere near Elmont...but anyway, these police officers told you that roving gangs of criminals regularly depart from Elmont and travel ten miles or so to the other side of the county to rob people in Levittown. In addition, the community in Elmont is generally tied into this organized petty crime ring and does not cooperate with the police, partly in fear of retribution for "snitching". It's like an episode of The Wire. Oh, and another reason they don't cooperate is because they are African-American (I assume) and predisposed to hate police and harbor criminals, by your estimation.

Aside from this obviously being bogus, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the police told you this. The 8th Precinct is a notoriously racist and aggressive branch of the NCPD. A lot of people who live in Levittown have had major problems with them. The story about the gangs of criminals, and Elmont being a scumbag safe haven? Totally made up. That is not reality....there aren't gangs of criminals driving all the way across the County just to rob someone in Levittown. That's retarded. I should have figured it came from a cop.

I also don't know how the mods are allowing you to post things like "Elmont is used as a "safe haven", because of obvious reasons, directly related to, ahem...ethnicity and skin color"....the only explanation seems to be that they can't make any sense of what you write.

My Brother Man, Peace to You.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
For one thing - Levittown is attracting many first time Hispanic home buyers. Which I think is great, but other buyers may not appreciate. Levittown is increasingly more diverse.
QUESTION: What effect does "diversity" HAVE on property values...i.e. does it "raise" property values or "lower" property values ?

Since you list statistics in your post, Please, also state the source for the statistics.

It would be interesting and helpful to our understanding of your opinion.

WHY ? Because statistics, can "lie"...no PERSONAL OFFENSE MEANT to you, ok ?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Because statistics, can "lie"...
Or to put it another way, statistics can be manipulated to prove whatever point you want to make... sad but true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island