Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,178 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Well my girlfriends' parents live in Long Beach, and we're thinking of relocating, and moving there. I'm really up for moving to a new place...

I have very little information, save the beach, boardwalk, basic things like that.

Is there a resource I can find to read about Long Beach in a comprehensive way? Internet pages have mainly pictures and basic things. I was looking for more of a guide. Perhaps my answer is Lonely Planet or so... info about life, work, transportation, schools, entertainment, etc etc.

Any advice is welcome!!!! Thanks.

A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Long Beach

For questions such as yours, you may want to contact the Long Beach Public Library (the library can suggest which local newspaper might have this information and other possible sources of information):

Long Beach Public Library
111 West Park Avenue
Long Beach, NY 11561

Tel: 516/432-7201
Fax: 516/889-4641

eMail: lblibrary@yahoo.com

Long Beach Public Library

For those who may not be familiar with Long Beach:

Long Beach is a city (chartered in 1922) located on Long Beach Island in the southwest part of Nassau County.

One of two cities in Nassau County (the other being the City of Glen Cove), Long Beach became a city in 1922 and became independent of the Town of Hempstead. Prior to that date, Long Beach was a village (incorporated in 1918) and prior to that, Long Beach was a hamlet (unincorporated area) in the Town of Hempstead, initially in Queens County until January 1, 1899, and since then in Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the City of Long Beach is bordered on the north by Hewlett Bay and Reynolds Channel; on the east by the Hamlet of Lido Beach in the Town of Hempstead; on the south by the Atlantic Ocean; and, on the west by the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach in the Town of Hempstead.

The City of Long Beach has a different border than does the "Long Beach, NY 11561" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Long Beach, NY 11561" mailing address and not be in the City of Long Beach): places that have a "Long Beach, NY 1561" mailing address but are not in the City of Long Beach are in the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach and the Hamlet of Lido Beach, both of these hamlets are in the Town of Hempstead.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
Here's a good thread about Long Beach:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ng-island.html

LIRR station connects to the bus station in the center of town. LIRR to Penn Station or Flatbush in under an hour! Taxis are pretty good but a little expensive IMO.

Best bagels... 24 hr Bagel on Beech St. But there aren't any bad bagels in LB either.

Tons of bars/restaurants.... what do you like?

Best deli is Zamboni's hands down... W Park between Magnolia & Laurleton. There is a traditional Italian deli across the street & is quite good too, forget the name.

Good diners... the Laurel & the one across the street is good too.

The recreation center at Magnolia Blvd & the bay is a bargain. Olympic pool, steam room & weightroom. Downside is that it can get crowded at peak times. But you can't beat it for the $$, otherwise you can go to NY Sports Club on Monroe Blvd or they have decent one at Bridge Rehabilitation on LB Blvd near the bridge to Island Park.

Fishing pier across from the rec center & a boat ramp you can access from National Blvd & the bay.

What else you need to know?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:07 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,748 times
Long Beach is broken into "West End" and "East End". The West End, houses are smaller and have very little property, which makes the houses very close together. The West End also has a lot of bars and it's basically a party town. This causes a lot of issues with parking, especially on weekends and even more especially on summer weekends. On a weekday in the winter, parking is no problem. I lived on the West End for 12 years, for the first 6 years we loved it. We enjoyed the party life and were four houses from the beach. However, the last 6 years, we kind of got fed up with the lack parking and moved.

I would recommend the East End, houses are larger, with more property. More parking is available, however, remember, it's still a beach town and people flock to the beach. Just don't rent or buy anything right behind the Waldbaums.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,314 times
I'm a hypnotherapist practicing privately in the Hudson Valley and thinking of relocating to Long Beach. I'm 67 years old and lived in Woodstock NY for 27 years. What do you think?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 AM

189 posts, read 632,814 times
I live in the east end of Long Beach and I love it. It's NY's best kept secret, even though it's not much of a secret. I run a long beach blog with some info seabythecity.com

What would you like to know about long beach?

Old 03-28-2009, 01:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
Hey I came back to LB for a visit a couple of months ago & was happy to see a Five Guys burger place has opened! A great addition to the city... there are a few down here where I live & love the burgers & fries.

Anthony, nice blog you have there. Although there are many things about NY that made the decision to move easy, LB is something that I miss often, particularly the boardwalk & the sunsets. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:40 PM

108 posts, read 357,845 times
i found it to be lonely, quiet & removed from the rest of the island in the winter. but had a blast during the summer months living both on the west end & east end. i love the beach. there is so much to do besides the sun, sand & surf. they have a great crowd for volleyball & the night bar scene is fun, but mostly on the west end.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:05 PM

189 posts, read 632,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette-T View Post
i found it to be lonely, quiet & removed from the rest of the island in the winter. but had a blast during the summer months living both on the west end & east end. i love the beach. there is so much to do besides the sun, sand & surf. they have a great crowd for volleyball & the night bar scene is fun, but mostly on the west end.

it is what you make it. I lived in Manhattan and found it lonely some times.
Sometimes trapped in my apartment like a jail. It is what you make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island