Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:47 PM

160 posts, read 451,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachNY View Post
I'm not from Long Island, but I did get certified in a different part of NY. I taught out of state for a few years - got really good experience and further training and got a job on Long Island without a problem. I didn't have ANY connections on Long Island to help me and I still was called by several districts for interviews. I think a lot of administrators are looking for people who have been outside of Long Island. There are a lot of people who stay on the island for pretty much their whole lives and a lot of districts would prefer to hire people who have other experience.

Also, I think it helps to have inner-city experience (which I think you have) and if you speak other languages or have other skills or talents that helps too (as I'm sure is the case with most jobs). My district seemed to be really impressed with my inner-city experience. So don't believe the "It's not what you know it's who you know" garbage - sometimes it actually is what you know.

Good luck! Don't give up!
When was this? Recently? Everyone I know has been applying through OLAS for years and they never hear anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 07:44 PM

214 posts, read 459,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslteacher View Post
NY jobs are posted on OLAS JOBS

You will need to fill out an OLAS application in order to apply for a position @ many of the districts on long island. Once you do that your resume can be pulled up by any school looking for a professional in which your description matches, and you can apply when an opening is posted on the site.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idolette View Post
I had tried for 10 years to try and get a public school teaching position on Long Island. What I found was that if you didn't know someone in an administrative position, the job couldn't ever be yours.

Unfortunately, this is becoming true of the private school sector as well.
100% true. It's becoming more of WHO you know than WHAT you know.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:20 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^If that's the case, then I should apply on Long Island. I'm finishing my 2nd year (has it been that long???) in a really poor area of the Bronx, and I must say, my school is a mess for the most part. The house we're in contract with on Long Island is across the street from an elementary. I'm thinking of applying there. Think it would give me an edge if I lived right there?
Why would where you live matter? I don't think it would in the slightest. My 4th grade teacher commuted to south nassau from CT.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:29 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Why would where you live matter? I don't think it would in the slightest. My 4th grade teacher commuted to south nassau from CT.
I've heard from friends who teach on the island who say that if you live close, they like that. It means you'll be in more when there's bad weather, if you're sick, etc. Less of a chance of being late too.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
LIR

77 posts, read 295,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've heard from friends who teach on the island who say that if you live close, they like that. It means you'll be in more when there's bad weather, if you're sick, etc. Less of a chance of being late too.
This is true. Several years ago, I was looking to move east and started to apply for subbing jobs at districts out there. When I dropped off my resume at one district, the receptionist told me they were looking for subs, but when she saw I still lived in Nassau, she said they wouldn't consider me because I wouldn't be able to drive out there at the last minute and make it on time. Mind you, it is illegal to discriminate based on your address, but clearly no one told the receptionist not to divulge the district's hidden policy!

On the flip side, some districts will not hire you if you live in that district, especially if you have children, because they would not want you to unduly influence a coworker who is your child's teacher.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIR View Post
This is true. Several years ago, I was looking to move east and started to apply for subbing jobs at districts out there. When I dropped off my resume at one district, the receptionist told me they were looking for subs, but when she saw I still lived in Nassau, she said they wouldn't consider me because I wouldn't be able to drive out there at the last minute and make it on time. Mind you, it is illegal to discriminate based on your address, but clearly no one told the receptionist not to divulge the district's hidden policy!

On the flip side, some districts will not hire you if you live in that district, especially if you have children, because they would not want you to unduly influence a coworker who is your child's teacher.

I don't know if it's totally different upstate, but when I did my student teaching in Ithaca, the teacher had her kid in the school and she lived right beside the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island