Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,063 times

Advertisements

I agree with Tom, the whole sector of part-time, pin-money-Mom dilettante realtors should be eliminated.

As far as photos go, I have no problem if a listing does not show bedrooms as long as it has a decent representation of the public rooms (kitchen, dining room, living room, at least one bathroom). Some people just don't want their "private spaces" shown to the entire world via the Internet.

What turns me off instantly about any listing photo is when it obviously was shot with either a horizontal-stretch or depth-stretch lens. The depth-stretch lens is instantly recognizable if you look at where the ceiling meets the walls (if you see a curve, it's the funky lens). Whenever I see those kinds of photos I immediately wonder what else the listing agent is trying to get away with misrepresenting. I don't care whether a photo is worth 10, 100, or 1000 words but they had better be TRUTHFUL words or else I simply won't bother "listening"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
ii think there just needs to be more regulation. like a house that needs major work should not regarded as "fair". fair should mean something like "liveable, but needs work. TLC". and "good" should actually mean GOOD, minimal work needed, like maybe paint, etc.
I think I've done this before, but here is how to interpret the "appearance" field:

Poor = falling down
Good = needs a lot of work
Excellent = A regular, lived in house. (May need updating)
Mint = Updated within the past several years
Diamond = Very recently updated

The problem is that these terms are subjective. It is left up to the listing agent how to rate the home. Some simply don't know what they are doing and others purposely overrate the home. It's frustrating for us agents, too, when we go into a home and find that it is not what we expect to see.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:05 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I agree with Tom, the whole sector of part-time, pin-money-Mom dilettante realtors should be eliminated.
I believe this market is starting to take its toll on the part-timers anyway. It takes more time/work/money to be successful and most part-timers aren't up to that, probably for a variety of reasons.

Of the 26,000 or so agents on Long Island last year, we're already down to about 23,000, with surely more leaving as their renewal comes up... A lot of them don't want to pay the dues, and pay for the continuing education courses, etc. if they don't see themselves making any money; not to mention spending money on marketing...

Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Poor = falling down
Good = needs a lot of work
Excellent = A regular, lived in house. (May need updating)
Mint = Updated within the past several years
Diamond = Very recently updated

The problem is that these terms are subjective. It is left up to the listing agent how to rate the home. Some simply don't know what they are doing and others purposely overrate the home. It's frustrating for us agents, too, when we go into a home and find that it is not what we expect to see.
You're so right, Tom!
I've gone to Open Houses with homes described as "mint" only to find that they are very clean, but IMHO would certainly only fall in the category of "excellent" because they were original and could use/needed updating... Perception/interpretation of what each description means!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Looking at a listing today that is listed by what appears to be a reasonably honest and fair agent.

Description has the following passages:

"Dated but clean"
Both statements seem correct according to multiple photo's of home inside and out.

"Backs to Cemetery, so the neighborhood is quiet"
A creative use of the truth.........

Maybe a little too quiet.....

Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 AM

138 posts, read 270,621 times
My pet peeve is when they post a picture of a beautiful piece of furniture within the home. This does not help me determine whether or not I want to actually take the time to look at a home.

Yes I may be stupid enough to buy your home for 350,000 but I am not stupid enough to think that your furniture will come with it.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:07 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,880 times
Yeah, I just love those pictures of the bedrooms that only show three sets of comforters on a bed in the middle of each room.....and the two toilets or tubs in the two bathrooms, and then the table and chairs in the dining room. I mean, really----WHO CARES?!!

I agree with the OP, too. It would save everyone lots of time and energy if they'd just give an address on a listing. You can drive by it, or you already know the neighborhood. Either way it rules it in or out for you--time saved for you, the realtor and the homeowner--DUH.

And, thanks Tom Moser, whether it's subjective or not, at least you've given us an idea of what those terms mean. I wondered how they lined up for years now.

The more the world can do to make house hunting and home selling easier the better! Maybe it wouldn't have to be the nightmare experience it seems to be for everyone.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:17 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
When did it become so complicated to close a real estate transaction around here?
Or has it always been that way?

Most of the country, you're living in your new house within 30 days of first seeing it.
It appears to be a much easier and streamlined process in other parts of the U.S.
Why is it such a cluster*blanketyblank* here?

Old 04-12-2009, 04:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
When did it become so complicated to close a real estate transaction around here?
Or has it always been that way?

Most of the country, you're living in your new house within 30 days of first seeing it.
It appears to be a much easier and streamlined process in other parts of the U.S.
Why is it such a cluster*blanketyblank* here?
One word karl = ATTORNEYS! They run the show RE-wise around here and that is the way they like it ... an attorney can even get a RE license without taking the classes everyone else has to. They like things to be longer and more complicated because it means people will not rebel against spending their money on real estate attorneys' services.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:55 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
One word karl = ATTORNEYS! They run the show RE-wise around here and that is the way they like it ... an attorney can even get a RE license without taking the classes everyone else has to. They like things to be longer and more complicated because it means people will not rebel against spending their money on real estate attorneys' services.
I agree that it is attorneys who make the process so difficult here. In most parts of the country there are no attorneys involved in the process. Even in New York State, outside of Long Island and Westchester, there are usually no attorneys involved.

Here's a little saying that most real estate agents know:

Buyers are Liars.
Sellers are Yellers.
Lawyers are Destroyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island