Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:09 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
My best friend went to Newfield and my kids were in the middle country district before we were in Longwood. I graduated from Comsewogue and still am friendly with many teachers in the district. I'm definitely not comparing 3V and PJ to the others but just that Longwood is the worst of all the surrounding ones.
I would think that honor may belong to Floyd or Pat/Med these days.

You can do much worse than Longwood.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I would think that honor may belong to Floyd or Pat/Med these days.

You can do much worse than Longwood.

Crooks
That might be a tight one.My friend Chris went to Patch-Medford and friend Ed went to Floyd and they still live in the local areas. All 3 have maintained expectations.Unfortunately they never exceed the expectations in a good way.Now don't get me wrong, we're not talking about shootouts but they are a bit below average and it has NOTHING to do with diversity.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Its nice in there, quiet. People mainly keep to themselves. During Halloween, when you expect eggs and shaving cream all over the place, nothing was to be seen. Yes kids came by but they were respectable.

Landscaping is kept quite nice there. There is a deli, pizza place, hair salon and I guess a day care (Kinder Kollege) just as you enter the complex. You also have a supermarket, movie theater, bank and dunkin donuts just down the road.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:35 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,549 times
I can't believe that in all these postings, especially after the OP made it clear that she didn't care about the school district, barely anyone gave this OP a view of living in North Isle!!! STOP BICKERING WITH YOUR PERSONAL OPINIONS ON EVERY LITTLE THING PEOPLE AND STICK TO THE QUESTIONS AT HAND IN THESE THREADS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, for goodness sakes if you can't really answer the OP's question/s be quiet and go to the next thread where maybe you will be able to.

For example, in this case if you don't know anything about living in North Isle don't write anything! Jeez!!

And, no I don't know anything, either, but I am so sick of reading, over and over people's biased opinions of towns and school districts, bad areas, etc.---the same people usually---in posts that have absolutely nothing to do with those things that I could SCREAM!!!!!!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Plane and simple----nice complex,close to good businesses and major highways,golf,and pretty safe. I would suggest it.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
I had a elderly relative live there, and I have co-workers who live there now. It's..ok. Nothing bad, nothing great. The interiors I've seen are old and dated, but again...not terrible. I've seen better, I've seen worse.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,273 times
I've been a resident for a little over a year now...

Positive:
-Fairly cheap,
-good stores close nearby (the shopping center on the hill near the FD)
-area is already fully settled (e.g. no asphalt plants moving into vacent plots),
-Quiet,
-Most people respect one-another,
-tons of fairly unrestricted parking (e.g. no assigned spots/multiple cars allowed),
-The apartments are soundproofed with regards to front-to-back adj. apartment noise
-Not too many punk kids running around (I lived near artist lake, middle island, and kids were a constant issue).

Negatives:
-Neighbors are very hit-or-miss,
You could have a family downstairs with 2 or 3 loud kids and a few loud and yippy
dogs who leaves toys strewn outside on the lawn, or perhaps a
group of mid 30-ish guys in two adj. apartments who are still trying their
utmost to relive their college frat-boy years...
-almost no one cleans up after their dog they just hide the droppings,
-some people simply don't care about other people's belongings,
-weightlifting/universal equipment is from the early/mid 70's,
-no 'approved' area to wash your car,
-The apartments are absolutely NOT soundproofed with regards to top-to-bottom adj. apartment noise; get the thickest carpet padding avalable.

If you have any more questions, just ask!...

I highly suggest you select a upper floor apt, the courtyard trees offer great privacy, and the giant overhangs mean you can keep all windows open throughout all but the most extreme rain.

If you do pick a upper floor unit, make sure it's facing east not west or else you'll get full sun through the afternoon, the heat in the summer would be absurd...

Last edited by suffolk brewer; 06-25-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 06:52 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk brewer View Post
I've been a resident for a little over a year now...

Positive:
-Fairly cheap,
-good stores close nearby (the shopping center on the hill near the FD)
-area is already fully settled (e.g. no asphalt plants moving into vacent plots),
-Quiet,
-Most people respect one-another,
-tons of fairly unrestricted parking (e.g. no assigned spots/multiple cars allowed),
-The apartments are soundproofed with regards to front-to-back adj. apartment noise
-Not too many punk kids running around (I lived near artist lake, middle island, and kids were a constant issue).

Negatives:
-Neighbors are very hit-or-miss,
You could have a family downstairs with 2 or 3 loud kids and a few loud and yippy
dogs who leaves toys strewn outside on the lawn, or perhaps a
group of mid 30-ish guys in two adj. apartments who are still trying their
utmost to relive their college frat-boy years...
-almost no one cleans up after their dog they just hide the droppings,
-some people simply don't care about other people's belongings,
-weightlifting/universal equipment is from the early/mid 70's,
-no 'approved' area to wash your car,
-The apartments are absolutely NOT soundproofed with regards to top-to-bottom adj. apartment noise; get the thickest carpet padding avalable.

If you have any more questions, just ask!...

I highly suggest you select a upper floor apt, the courtyard trees offer great privacy, and the giant overhangs mean you can keep all windows open throughout all but the most extreme rain.

If you do pick a upper floor unit, make sure it's facing east not west or else you'll get full sun through the afternoon, the heat in the summer would be absurd...
You've hit the nail on the head, although regarding the dogs/neighbors, that all depends on the building you select. I have seen people do both, pick up after their dogs and not pick up after them. The upper units that face the west are unbearable during the summer. But overall, its a nice decent place. They also have two pools, one outdoor and one indoor (opened only in the winter). I also agree that the gym isn't the biggest or greatest, but its available for use. There is a playground for kids to use (both 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom units are allowed to use this), there is also a paved track near the playground for jogging, walking, although I've seen people doing that around the entire complex. I've walked around there at night and I feel safe, nobody bothers me.

Every other building has a laundry facility, or you can go to the laundromat that is on 112 just past Handy Pantry (right around the corner from North Isle, basically make a right out of the complex onto Pine and then a right onto 112). On Friday's and Saturday's they're open 24 hours and late during the week.

They also have security patrolling at night.

Speaking of stores, I do like Best Yet (supermarket). Their fresh veggies and fruit are in better shape than Stop & Shop in Coram, their deli is good (the guys there are nice). You have a movie theater there too.

You have two gas stations nearby. Mobile on the corner of Pine and 112 and Hess on the corner of 112 and 83. The Mobile is 20 cents more than the Hess and Hess has free air for your tires where Mobile charges you for that.

It is a decent quiet area.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 11,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
You've hit the nail on the head, although regarding the dogs/neighbors, that all depends on the building you select. I have seen people do both, pick up after their dogs and not pick up after them. The upper units that face the west are unbearable during the summer. But overall, its a nice decent place. They also have two pools, one outdoor and one indoor (opened only in the winter). I also agree that the gym isn't the biggest or greatest, but its available for use. There is a playground for kids to use (both 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom units are allowed to use this), there is also a paved track near the playground for jogging, walking, although I've seen people doing that around the entire complex. I've walked around there at night and I feel safe, nobody bothers me.

Every other building has a laundry facility, or you can go to the laundromat that is on 112 just past Handy Pantry (right around the corner from North Isle, basically make a right out of the complex onto Pine and then a right onto 112). On Friday's and Saturday's they're open 24 hours and late during the week.

They also have security patrolling at night.

Speaking of stores, I do like Best Yet (supermarket). Their fresh veggies and fruit are in better shape than Stop & Shop in Coram, their deli is good (the guys there are nice). You have a movie theater there too.

You have two gas stations nearby. Mobile on the corner of Pine and 112 and Hess on the corner of 112 and 83. The Mobile is 20 cents more than the Hess and Hess has free air for your tires where Mobile charges you for that.

It is a decent quiet area.
Good points!

The laundry is via a 'debit card' system you put money on via a vending machine style setup, and considering some other Coram/Middle Island apartment complex laundry prices, it's the laundry deal of the decade

I'm a first time 'home' buyer, and it was amazing to see the range of prices of the units for sale here (<$70k to $180k+). I could imagine if someone was very knowledgeable about DIY home improvement they could get a fit-it-up apartment for very little money invest 15-20k and make it into a very nice apartment; and save themselves tens of thousands of dollars in the process as opposed to getting a mid-priced apt already in good condition.

TheBobs, out of curosity, have you heard anything about a re-paving of the N/W parking areas (the 'gravel in the potholes' solution isn't cutting it for me)?...

Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 PM

137 posts, read 272,825 times
I've never lived there but know plenty of people who have. I'm also a Longwood grad and have to say that IMO the school district is fine. It actually has a lot of AP and Honors classes and most of the teachers are good. I believe it does have a decent drop out rate and the "bottom" students that tend not to care drag the ratings down. But, if you do your work, pay attention and apply yourself, you will do fine. Plenty of my fellow graduates (graduated in the late 90s) have done really well for themselves.

Now that I've participated in the school district part of it, I have to say that the main negative I've heard about it are some neighbors can be iffy (probably because a lot of first time buyers buy there, and when they "move up" to a bigger place, they keep the coop and rent it out) and the maintenance payments are fairly high. However, the units themselves are fairly inexpensive and overall the place is nice. You can drive a short way up North to Mt. Sinai which has some nice shops, and a little further is port jeff. I would say the one downside is it is a far trip to a major highway if you have to commute. You have to go all the way down 83 to get to the LIE; as the Northern State doesn't start until Commack, which is miles west of North Isle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island