Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:34 PM

7 posts, read 41,798 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone lives in North Isle Village, or knows anyone who lives/lived there...My hubbie and I have been looking at co-ops in that complex in Coram and we wanted some honest feedback about the area.

We have been getting some really mixed reviews, so any further feedback would really help us make a decision...

Thanks,

lonken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:39 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonken View Post
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone lives in North Isle Village, or knows anyone who lives/lived there...My hubbie and I have been looking at co-ops in that complex in Coram and we wanted some honest feedback about the area.

We have been getting some really mixed reviews, so any further feedback would really help us make a decision...

Thanks,

lonken
My friend lived in here and I worked for the post office for coram for the past 7 years.It's nice,reasonably quiet, and very good businesses in the area.If you don't have kids great because I don't like the Longwood school district.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:14 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
My friend lived in here and I worked for the post office for coram for the past 7 years.It's nice,reasonably quiet, and very good businesses in the area.If you don't have kids great because I don't like the Longwood school district.

Theres nothing wrong with Longwood schools.

I know many parents in the district who are happy.

Some people freak out if theres a little diversity.

crooks

Old 04-13-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Theres nothing wrong with Longwood schools.

I know many parents in the district who are happy.

Some people freak out if theres a little diversity.

crooks
Crooks my kids just left the school this year its okay at best.The problem is that all the districts around like middle country, three village, comsewogue, port jefferson are all better in comparison.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Crooks my kids just left the school this year its okay at best.The problem is that all the districts around like middle country, three village, comsewogue, port jefferson are all better in comparison.

Middle Country????
Are you kidding me?
Have you been to Newfield?

Comsewogue c'mon now... dont go lumpin' mediocre districts in with 3V and PJ.

Longwoods really not that bad(certainly in comparison to Middle Country and Comsewogue)
They just have some brown people.

I'd have no issues sending my kid there at all.

We came very close to moving to Ridge.

Crooks

Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 AM

187 posts, read 863,283 times
The OP was looking for opinions on North Isle Village, not a Moderator cut: language fight over school districts...

As far as North Isle, I knew someone who lived there for a while and was very happy.

I've also been told that the units to the west of the main road as you drive in are more desireable, but I cannot confirm this personally.

Are you looking for a 1br or larger?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-13-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
The OP was looking for opinions on North Isle Village, not a fight over school districts...

As far as North Isle, I knew someone who lived there for a while and was very happy.

I've also been told that the units to the west of the main road as you drive in are more desireable, but I cannot confirm this personally.

Are you looking for a 1br or larger?

You re right Arron.

But schools play an important role in that investment in Coram.
(Kids or not)

To bash Longwood is wrong.
Selden looking down on Coarm is like Shirley looking down on Mastic.....ridiculous.

The schools are fine, they have a terrific sprots and cheerleading program.
I know many,many happy parents.

Crooks

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-13-2009 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM

7 posts, read 41,798 times
I have no problem with Longwood personally...I am a high school teacher myself so I know that a lot of the opinions people form about school districts are based on state test results and racial diversity (neither of which I feel have anything to do with a student's intelligence).

Like Mark Twain said, "never let schooling get in the way of your education." So I'm confident that my future son or daughter will get a great education no matter where they go...it's what you make of it.

But I digress, I want a 1 bdrm upper unit. My husband and I are actually already in the process of buying one, we just hoped to get some more feedback before we go to closing which should be in mid to late July.

BTW, I went to Newfield myself and I have family members who currently attend, and when I compare the education I got there to the cirriculum in my own school district it is truly frightening. However, now that I work with people who graduated from 3V, Northport, Commack, Comsewogue, Rocky Point, etc, I see that it is really up to the individual to get the most they can out of their education. I don't care what Newsday says, Longwood, Middle Country, whatever. It is all up to the person....

Anyway, thank you for those who offered relevant feedback. I'm really excited about buying, and I thank you all for your advice.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonken View Post
I have no problem with Longwood personally...I am a high school teacher myself so I know that a lot of the opinions people form about school districts are based on state test results and racial diversity (neither of which I feel have anything to do with a student's intelligence).

Like Mark Twain said, "never let schooling get in the way of your education." So I'm confident that my future son or daughter will get a great education no matter where they go...it's what you make of it.

But I digress, I want a 1 bdrm upper unit. My husband and I are actually already in the process of buying one, we just hoped to get some more feedback before we go to closing which should be in mid to late July.

BTW, I went to Newfield myself and I have family members who currently attend, and when I compare the education I got there to the cirriculum in my own school district it is truly frightening. However, now that I work with people who graduated from 3V, Northport, Commack, Comsewogue, Rocky Point, etc, I see that it is really up to the individual to get the most they can out of their education. I don't care what Newsday says, Longwood, Middle Country, whatever. It is all up to the person....

Anyway, thank you for those who offered relevant feedback. I'm really excited about buying, and I thank you all for your advice.
Indeed it is ...and good luck in your hunt.

Crooks

Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Middle Country????
Are you kidding me?
Have you been to Newfield?

Comsewogue c'mon now... dont go lumpin' mediocre districts in with 3V and PJ.

Longwoods really not that bad(certainly in comparison to Middle Country and Comsewogue)
They just have some brown people.

I'd have no issues sending my kid there at all.

We came very close to moving to Ridge.

Crooks
My best friend went to Newfield and my kids were in the middle country district before we were in Longwood. I graduated from Comsewogue and still am friendly with many teachers in the district. I'm definitely not comparing 3V and PJ to the others but just that Longwood is the worst of all the surrounding ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island