Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:11 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,751 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm looking for a Pediatrician who is open minded about vaccinations and willing to delay and postpone scheduled vaccinations. I'm also looking for someone who's not an alarmist, meaning prescribing antibiotics or medication for every little thing. Someone with good common sense and flexible approach to medicine. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:09 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,489 times
You would be better to look for an "old timer" rather than a young, new pediatrician. My daughter's pediatrician has been practicing for over 40 years and he's very open minded about things and doesn't give meds, etc at the drop of a hat. He's approachable and uses common sense. If you want to delay scheduled vaccinations, I'm sure he would discuss it with you and, together, you can make the best choices for your child. I never delayed any of my daughter's vaccinations so I can't say how he feels about it, but I'm sure he would discuss it. He's a very intelligent and caring man.

The only problem is, he's located in Dix Hills and I have no idea what insurance he takes since I don't have insurance. If you want his name/number, DM me and I'll send it to you (I don't want to put his info here).

Old 04-27-2009, 04:26 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
My ped is wonderful. he is an older school Doctor who does not alarm, prescribe or do anything that is not needed. Yesterday which was sunday my 9 year old was sick. At 8am I was able to bring him into the doctors office and yes, he did have strep throat. He actually took the temp himself ; under the arm (old fashioned way).

He is in East patchogue but worth every second of travel. My son had a major problem a few years ago and once it was rx'd, I was at a neurosurgeon in Manhatten within the week ; all at the recommendation of the ped.

DM me if you want his number.
d

Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,672 times
We use Dr Edward Tom in Babylon Village, he's great. We actually scheduled interviews with a few pediatricians (including 2 very popular area practices, one of whom flat out wouldn't talk to us about delaying vaccinations) because we knew we would be delaying some vaccinations/having an alternative schedule and would be delaying solids and believe in chiropractic medicine. From the start he was understanding and receptive to our philosophies.

DD had a touch of jaundice when she was born and on her discharge date they had to recheck her because her levels were high enough to possibly require the lights. I asked Dr Tom about treating her with a bili blanket at home and instead of brushing off the possibility (it's easier to just stick them in the hospital's incubators or let's wait for the levels to come back from the lab) he went and asked around to see if it was possible for our insurance and if there was a DME company who provides them for our area. I guess for Good Sam it's uncoventional and very uncommon for jaundiced babies to go home with a bili blanket but is possible. He's great like that. And, to top it all off, DD's levels were fine and she didn't need it but he never even blinked an eye about all the work he did nor did he ever seem annoyed by the questions I had.

We are delaying some of our vaccinations on our DD and did an alternative schedule as well for the ones she received and he had NO issues with this at all. If anything, I found him to be very accepting of this and he has answered all our questions without being overly biased. Sometimes the office would forget but he would say Oh no we're scheduled for X today not XY and Z. He is very easy going, doesn't seem overly anxious to prescribe antibiotics. Was very supportive of us delaying solids since my daughter was breast fed. He has great office hours too, late nights and Saturdays and even Sunday hours during flu season for sick visits.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:51 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
We switched to Dr. Kurfist in Huntington after Smithtown Pediatrics dropped us for not conforming to their vaccination schedule. We wanted to spread out MMR into separate shots and avoid multiple vaccinations in one visit...got a letter a few weeks later after a heated discussion with a Dr. there where he insisted that we were endangering our child..(by delaying the measles shot 2 weeks ), we received a letter saying "we can no longer provide care for your child.." Apparently Smithtown Ped. Pharmaceutical benefactors don't like anyone going off schedule. Needless to say they'll never get a recommendation from my wife and I. Avoid them at all costs unless you want to be a rubber stamp and hand your kids over.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:58 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
When my sons were younger, my doctor was absolutey fantastic. I had a premmie and the doctor was just out of this world with him. He only did one shot per month ; no multiple shots, never once gave one when my son was sick ( he was sick a lot!!). I cannot say enough great things.

But the reason we moved was that he is a very busy doctor and sometimes we were waiting 90 mins in the waiting room plus 45 mins in the examining room.

We moved to an older single practice doctor who is also fantastic.

d

Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM

198 posts, read 779,402 times
You may want to check out Dr. Sears list of vaccination friendly pediatricians. This is where i got my pediatrcian from after getting numerous annoying comments from the pediatrician i was using before regarding delaying vaccines. As an adult and a parent I can make my own decision and read the same medical literature he can, and i hated those dam comments, he was an older doctor relative to the one i have now.

My ped is in WoodBury, so i think that may be far from you, but i got him from that list on Dr. Sear's website and we use Dr. Sear's alternative vaccine schedule as well.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,716 times
Out of curiosity, why do you want to postpone/delay vaccinations?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:37 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,991 times
This who we use. Check out the office on main street in Bay Shore(by Mcdonalds). We will not give any of our kids more than two shots at once for anything. These dr's. agree and have no problem delaying or spacing out of vacines. Some of these other dr's giving infants and toddlers 4 shots at once is just ridiculous.

RBK Pediatrics New York - Doctors in NY

To the above poster...many people are pointing at all these "new" vacinations with the rise in autism and other such disorders. But thats a whole other topic.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:51 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you want to postpone/delay vaccinations?
I had the chance to look over both me and dh's vaccinations from when we were kids, we were given no more than one vaccine at a time.

Vaccines contain heavy metals and toxins, and most dr's will give 4-5 shots at a time. That's a lot of toxins for one little body to handle. The CDC came up with the current chart based on parental conveninience (most parents don't want to come into the office monthly for a year) not medical necessity. Also, should there be a reaction to a vaccine and you're giving 5 shots how do you narrow it down? Oh, hmm, let's try this one again but not this? My child isn't a guinea pig.

Oh and some vaccines I find completely unnecessary, like chicken pox, because if you can contract it as a young child (I do think if you haven't been exposed by a certain age and a titer doesn't show immunity by your teens you SHOULD be vaccinated since chicken pox is difficult for adults) the immunity your BODY creates to the virus is far superior than any vaccine manufactured in a lab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island