Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:01 PM

125 posts, read 440,679 times

Advertisements

Do folks drink and drive more on LI than other places? How to get people to not drink and drive, besides arresting them?

Also, how do you and your friends/family treat D&D (is it commonly practiced or avoided, etc.)?

Have you or a family member been arrested for DWI? If so, how did you cope with this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I would say people drive drunk here on LI than other places. The reason being is that there no way to get around at 2 in the morning. Public transportation just plain sucks on the Island. I dont know any other place in the US that has the population we have and the Moderator cut: language public transportation.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-28-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambralita View Post
Do folks drink and drive more on LI than other places? How to get people to not drink and drive, besides arresting them?

Also, how do you and your friends/family treat D&D (is it commonly practiced or avoided, etc.)?

Have you or a family member been arrested for DWI? If so, how did you cope with this?

Thanks!
I had a sibling arrested for DWI back in the late 70's. Other than that, nothing that I know if in my immediate or extended family. We're a 2 or 3 drink kind of bunch, so.....as long as you don't hop in the car right after downing the 3rd one, you are usually in good shape in a couple of hours. I think it's no more common here than other places, just that there is more traffic congestion, hence more accidents.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:25 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I would say people drive drunk here on LI than other places. The reason being is that there no way to get around at 2 in the morning. Public transportation just plain sucks on the Island. I dont know any other place in the US that has the population we have and the sh*tiest public transportation.
this is probably true of most suburban areas.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:43 PM

125 posts, read 440,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I would say people drive drunk here on LI than other places. The reason being is that there no way to get around at 2 in the morning. Public transportation just plain sucks on the Island. I dont know any other place in the US that has the population we have and the sh*tiest public transportation.
I agree on the lack of public transport, but there are always taxis to call. (Er, but even those are pretty scary...)

Maybe the county/cities should provide incentive for taxi cabs to sit outside of bars.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:44 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,829 times
I see two or three DWI's on a weekend night in the winter. 6-7 in the summer on a Sat. night. Pretty prevalent. And those are just the one's who get into accidents.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambralita View Post
I agree on the lack of public transport, but there are always taxis to call. (Er, but even those are pretty scary...)

Maybe the county/cities should provide incentive for taxi cabs to sit outside of bars.
I wonder what percentage of drunk driving offenders actually get drunk at bars as opposed to private parties, their own home, etc.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Before my kid was born, I'd be in the city every other weekend at least, and my wife and I often drove home late. We assumed that everyone on the road after 11PM was drunk, and called 911 on more than one occasion because people were drifting all over the road, driving 40 in the left lane with their brights on, etc. For every person who gets pulled over, there are probably dozens who are over the limit.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Some ideas to prevent drunk driving:

- mandatory loss of driver's license for life on the second offense - Germany takes away your license for life on the first offense

- more checkpoints - especially where each and every driver is checked and more checkpoints on major roads instead of the side streets.

- charge drunk drivers in cases where victims were killed with murder and make them eligible for the death penalty. They chose to drink and drive knowing fully that they could kill/injure someone so therefore they can face the ultimate punishment if they do so.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:00 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times
A car is like a gun - you can kill someone with it.

I fully agree with the above poster that a drunk driver who kills someone should be punished with the death penalty.

And first offense - your license is gone for good. And when the drunk is caught driving without their license, which they will most certainly do, they're locked up for life.

May sound harsh, but that's what it takes to deter it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island