Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:22 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,276 times

Advertisements

Are there any parks that allow this? And while we're at it, how about roller blading?
(mainly inquiring about Suffolk).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Are there any parks that allow this? And while we're at it, how about roller blading?
Thanks!
How about New York State Parks :: Belmont Lake State Park

You may want to double check on the dogs to make sure they really are allowed.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:37 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Biking and Roller blading
Hecksher State Park, Sunken Meadow State Park, Rocky Point Preserve (if you're into mountain biking as they have dirt trails, can't roller blade here), Robert Moses, Jones Beach, Montauk Point, Orient Point, Hither hills (southern part may have an area to roller blade but can't remember). Camp hero is another good place.

Dog walking
Most county and state parks in Suffolk. Blydenburg has a dog run area where you can let your dog loose in a fenced enclosure which is pretty big. Its on the southern end of the park, just drive your car in and continue past the campgrounds. One piece of advice, if you're not in a dog run area, keep the dog leashed at all times. There is a leash law in the town of Islip, not sure about Brookhaven, but its always best to do so. Montauk Point (trails throughout the area around Oyster Pond, Big and Little Reed Pond), Camp Hero, Orient Point, Sears Bellows.

If I think of some more I'll post them.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:49 AM

wow, I've lived here my entire life and haven't heard of some of those places!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
wow, I've lived here my entire life and haven't heard of some of those places!
See what you're missing?

Its nice to step into those areas and get lost (not literally) and enjoy the day.

Just remembered, Hubbard County Park, that's north of Sears Bellows. Good for walking the dog, you could bike in there too.

Actually I should have asked, are you a pavement bike rider, hard dirt trail bike rider? Do you mind hilly dirt trails?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:03 PM

Also some areas are DEC managed, so you need a parking and a hiking/biking permit to go there. The permit is free and good for 3 years. You fill out and print the permit by going to this site and then sending it in. Details of sending it in are on the bottom of the permit.

Is it worth it? Yes, if you like to do those activities and others such as canoeing and boating (kayaking included). My suggestion is to mark down anything you're interested in and in all areas even if you're not thinking of doing all those things or going to all of those areas. Reason is you may change your mind one day and want to go somewhere or do something else.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_pdf/accessperm.pdf (broken link)

Oh yeah, South Haven County Park. Good for walking the dog and riding a bike too.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 PM

I've known about many of these parks, but I didn't know that they allowed bikes. I guess the small town parks are the ones that don't allow them (or dogs).

I'm now reading up on Camp Hero - very interesting.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I've known about many of these parks, but I didn't know that they allowed bikes. I guess the small town parks are the ones that don't allow them (or dogs).

I'm now reading up on Camp Hero - very interesting.
Don't forget to read up on the high speed train that runs from there, goes underneath the LIE and ends in the city.

Just another conspiracy theory from that place.

But its nice to go through, especially if you go with someone who's been in the army and can describe what some of the buildings were.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:38 PM

270 posts, read 964,443 times
There's actually a huge dog park in Middle Island...:-)

Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
Brookhaven state park is a great place to walk dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island