Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,393 times

Advertisements

I am from Long Island and pretty familiar with Long Beach, but it's been many years since I spent much time there. I am looking to see what the majority of the population is and how densely populated it is to help a local business flourish? Are there lots of young 20-40 year olds (females primarily)? Do the locals of long beach for the most part do their shopping and errands right in town on Park Avenue or do they travel to Ocean side shopping centers. If not Ocean side, where? Is it common for Long Beach to get shoppers from Lido Beach, Island Park, or even Atlantic beach into town? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 05:10 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
I live in LB and I do all my shopping in Oceanside. I even go to the Waldbaums there even though there is a Waldbaums in LB.

What kind of business are you looking to start up? It's a mixed bag of people here. I don't care for LB much so I don't really spend much time here to really give you a good opinion. Oceanside shops have a bit "classier" clientele, IMO.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM

189 posts, read 632,703 times
Jdawg8181 will post nothing, but negative stuff about Long Beach, Look at every single thread about Long Beach and you will see. The person is obsessed with putting it down.

But yeah. My wife and I are in our 30s and live in Long Beach. The Walbaums in Long Beach is awful, but I think every Walbums is awful. In the summer time we do the Farmers market in Long Beach for fruit and Veggies, but our normal shopping is either at Trader Joes or Wild By Nature, both in Oceanside. Once in a blue moon we go to Associated which is on the east end of Long Beach.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:27 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
I guess as an erudite and sophisticated member of the long beach community you have shopped in every Waldbaums to make such a statement that they all are awful.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony314 View Post
Jdawg8181 will post nothing, but negative stuff about Long Beach, Look at every single thread about Long Beach and you will see. The person is obsessed with putting it down.

But yeah. My wife and I are in our 30s and live in Long Beach. The Walbaums in Long Beach is awful, but I think every Walbums is awful. In the summer time we do the Farmers market in Long Beach for fruit and Veggies, but our normal shopping is either at Trader Joes or Wild By Nature, both in Oceanside. Once in a blue moon we go to Associated which is on the east end of Long Beach.
And so will I.

And on the flip side, you will post nothing but glorious things about the wonderful city of Long Beach.

I lived in LB, and I currently work in LB, and I am typing this post in LB right now.

I do not like it.

The summers are horrible. There is no parking during the day. It is like being in Times Square on a Sunday surrounded by tourist buses.
The winters are horrible. The city does not know how to operate snow plows except on major roads.
The stores are not great. Nothing you can't get anywhere else.
The east end is not great. Overpriced houses that barely fit a family.
The west end is bad. Small houses with a large amount of bars serving underage kids from the area.
I do not have kids so I cannot comment on the schools.
The beach is not good. They charge you a CRAZY amount of money to access a beach. $12-$15 for non-resident-pass holders.
Since LB is so close to the water, the roads flood easily.
In the event of something going wrong, there are realistically only 3 small roads to take out of the island: Atlantic Beach bridge ($2.00), Long Beach bridge or the Loop Parkway. Good luck if an actual disaster hits.

I guess it's good if you like those dopey cruiser bicycles, or if you like getting said bicycle stolen out from under you.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
And so will I.

And on the flip side, you will post nothing but glorious things about the wonderful city of Long Beach.

I lived in LB, and I currently work in LB, and I am typing this post in LB right now.

I do not like it.

The summers are horrible. There is no parking during the day. It is like being in Times Square on a Sunday surrounded by tourist buses.
The winters are horrible. The city does not know how to operate snow plows except on major roads.
The stores are not great. Nothing you can't get anywhere else.
The east end is not great. Overpriced houses that barely fit a family.
The west end is bad. Small houses with a large amount of bars serving underage kids from the area.
I do not have kids so I cannot comment on the schools.
The beach is not good. They charge you a CRAZY amount of money to access a beach. $12-$15 for non-resident-pass holders.
Since LB is so close to the water, the roads flood easily.
In the event of something going wrong, there are realistically only 3 small roads to take out of the island: Atlantic Beach bridge ($2.00), Long Beach bridge or the Loop Parkway. Good luck if an actual disaster hits.

I guess it's good if you like those dopey cruiser bicycles, or if you like getting said bicycle stolen out from under you.
Please tell me which bars are serving the underage kids?

Yup, parking CAN be horrible in the summer (specifically on the weekends), depending on where you live it can be considerably better, and maybe slightly worse.

I agree the plowing is not the greatest on some of the small side streets and considering that some people do nto move their cars when it snows there is a lot of snow left in the road, not much you can do about that.

The beach passes is something you always complain about even though you know you can get a family pass for about $50 (two adults, two teens, kids under a certain age are free). Should it be free? How much would you complain about the overcrowding then? I go to TOBAY and we need to get a pass for the car that is about $40 for the season.

Overall, I loved living down there. Not a perfect place but a pretty unique area, especially if you like living near the beach.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Please tell me which bars are serving the underage kids?

Yup, parking CAN be horrible in the summer (specifically on the weekends), depending on where you live it can be considerably better, and maybe slightly worse.

I agree the plowing is not the greatest on some of the small side streets and considering that some people do nto move their cars when it snows there is a lot of snow left in the road, not much you can do about that.

The beach passes is something you always complain about even though you know you can get a family pass for about $50 (two adults, two teens, kids under a certain age are free). Should it be free? How much would you complain about the overcrowding then? I go to TOBAY and we need to get a pass for the car that is about $40 for the season.

Overall, I loved living down there. Not a perfect place but a pretty unique area, especially if you like living near the beach.

A few years ago, I worked with a bunch of people that were the typical LB west end crowd. None of them were over 21 yet were telling us stories of how they were out "last night drinking up a storm" -- I think Minnesota's was one of the bars.

Honestly, I am not a beach person. I moved to LB because it was a few blocks from my job and a few blocks from the train station, nothing more. After a few close calls of having my girlfriend being followed home at night, a coworker's son getting jumped around the corner, and the overall crappyness of the roads, we left and never looked back.

Sorry, but a beach pass shouldn't be as much as a movie ticket. Neither should be >10$ but when I can drive down the road and pay 7$ for a whole car's worth of people at Nickerson Beach, paying $24 for 2 people is just out of the question.

I'll give you that, it's definitely "unique" for Long Island. I just don't see the value. When 1-2br condos/coops are the prices of houses, it is a little ridiculous. The houses aren't much bigger, unless you start heading towards Lido, or decide to venture into Atlantic Beach.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
A few years ago, I worked with a bunch of people that were the typical LB west end crowd. None of them were over 21 yet were telling us stories of how they were out "last night drinking up a storm" -- I think Minnesota's was one of the bars.

Honestly, I am not a beach person. I moved to LB because it was a few blocks from my job and a few blocks from the train station, nothing more. After a few close calls of having my girlfriend being followed home at night, a coworker's son getting jumped around the corner, and the overall crappyness of the roads, we left and never looked back.

Sorry, but a beach pass shouldn't be as much as a movie ticket. Neither should be >10$ but when I can drive down the road and pay 7$ for a whole car's worth of people at Nickerson Beach, paying $24 for 2 people is just out of the question.

I'll give you that, it's definitely "unique" for Long Island. I just don't see the value. When 1-2br condos/coops are the prices of houses, it is a little ridiculous. The houses aren't much bigger, unless you start heading towards Lido, or decide to venture into Atlantic Beach.
Well there you have it. Most people that "get" LB are beach people so I understand that you didn't enjoy it there. As for the cost of the beach would you be OK with it being $5 each time you went even though that would bring even more people down thus making it more crowded?

Nickerson is part of the County Park System and it is now $8/car ($30/car if you don't have a leisure pass). Not a bad deal.

As for the Co-op/condo prices they are priced at what the market will bear. Should they be priced less because they are not as big as a house? You are paying for the view and location. There are plenty of large houses in the east end, some gigantic. The problem I always had was that they are mostly on small plots.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Well there you have it. Most people that "get" LB are beach people so I understand that you didn't enjoy it there. As for the cost of the beach would you be OK with it being $5 each time you went even though that would bring even more people down thus making it more crowded?

Nickerson is part of the County Park System and it is now $8/car ($30/car if you don't have a leisure pass). Not a bad deal.

As for the Co-op/condo prices they are priced at what the market will bear. Should they be priced less because they are not as big as a house? You are paying for the view and location. There are plenty of large houses in the east end, some gigantic. The problem I always had was that they are mostly on small plots.
Oh, yeah, I understand completely. I just really dislike the area.. it's not all gumdrops and jellybeans that Anthony likes to think it is

The beach at LB is crowded, especially considering the amount of money they are charging. I guess they need to pay all of those auxiliary police to drive their SUVs on the boardwalk and make sure no one jumps the railing

8$/car is fine with me, 8$/person is not. I don't even mind the leisure pass rate as I go to Mitchel Field rifle range and that more than pays for my 3yr fee.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I understand completely. I just really dislike the area.. it's not all gumdrops and jellybeans that Anthony likes to think it is

The beach at LB is crowded, especially considering the amount of money they are charging. I guess they need to pay all of those auxiliary police to drive their SUVs on the boardwalk and make sure no one jumps the railing

8$/car is fine with me, 8$/person is not. I don't even mind the leisure pass rate as I go to Mitchel Field rifle range and that more than pays for my 3yr fee.

Again, depending on where you go. At the end of Edwards where all the people walk from the train? Yup, very crowded. Many of the other parts away from the main part of the boardwalk especially the West End, not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island