Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:03 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: language Trailer parks.

Whens LI gonna wise up to Houseboats?

Crooks

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-11-2009 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 PM

9 posts, read 58,638 times
OoOo house boat sounds nice! lol. You still get 8000 $$ tax credit for house boat!!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooni View Post
OoOo house boat sounds nice! lol. You still get 8000 $$ tax credit for house boat!!

I saw some beautiful houseboats in Seattle.

Keep in mind its shortage of land thats killing us.

Crooks

Old 06-11-2009, 07:19 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I saw some beautiful houseboats in Seattle.

Keep in mind its shortage of land thats killing us.

Crooks
Hmmm, does anyone know if it's legal to have house boats on LI? Maybe I should sell my house and buy a house boat instead, save on property taxes I'm sure!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Hmmm, does anyone know if it's legal to have house boats on LI? Maybe I should sell my house and buy a house boat instead, save on property taxes I'm sure!
Replace with docking fees that cost 3 times as much per year.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I think there are a few in Seaford...I remember seeing an ad for one for sale a bit ago on the MLSLI.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
I want to live in one for about 5 yrs to 7 the max because they are cheap. I can save money & even if I get no resale and such I still am building my credit, I get the 1st time home buyer tax credit and can continue to save to get a nice house. I rather spend 50k on something that is liveable and might not be "long islanders" ideal place to live then 200k for a house that I don't really want or have to fix up to be what I want. Makes sense to me at least.
Well first of all, you can't get a house for $200k anywhere on LI, lol. Secondly...what about looking into a condo or co-op? Condos are more expensive than co-ops but you actually own the rights and the space between the walls. Co-ops you basically own shares of a corporation...thus guaranteeing you the right to live in that space. Regardless, it's probably a better option than owning a trailer home that will probably fall apart. With condos and co-ops, you pay a maintenance fee and if something goes wrong, the building mgr/super just comes and fixes it for you....and they are generally a lot nicer.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
I believe there is a stigma attached to a mobile home. Some of the newer manufactured homes look just like a house from the outside. Just google manufactured homes and you will see. I am not offended. I don't see anything wrong with it. We both work. I see it as the same as owning a condo. Long Island is a nice area but if you say "I certainly wouldn't want Long Island to become a place known for the availability of trailer homes." is kind of an ignorant comment to make. Just because someone lives in a trailer doesn't mean they are any less better off or worse off then the people who own a 500k house.
The underlined is the "ignorant" comment.

However, if you want to live in a trailer park, so be it. Apparently there are a few on Long Island that are not just for seniors or not just seasonal housing. Have fun. Enjoy the neighbors.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:07 PM

60 posts, read 183,133 times
imo some of the "trailer parks" are nice with decent size lots. There is a nice waterfront family park in Riverhead thats has parkland all around it. Most of the newer homes are modular homes and are trucked to the location. These parks have been around for quite a while and once again imo, get a bad rap for the most part. Oh sure there are parks that are pretty awful, but not all. My big issue with them is the land factor.....I would want to own the land under me.

as for houseboats.. there are a few liveaboard marinas in Nassau and NYC, but like someone said, it ends up costing more to live that way.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthewoods View Post
imo some of the "trailer parks" are nice with decent size lots. There is a nice waterfront family park in Riverhead thats has parkland all around it. Most of the newer homes are modular homes and are trucked to the location. These parks have been around for quite a while and once again imo, get a bad rap for the most part. Oh sure there are parks that are pretty awful, but not all. My big issue with them is the land factor.....I would want to own the land under me.

as for houseboats.. there are a few liveaboard marinas in Nassau and NYC, but like someone said, it ends up costing more to live that way.
Why not buy a plot of land and put the modular home/mobile home/doublewide/trailer/whatever on it? People actually do buy land and do this. Then they don't have to pay rent for the plot they are using and don't have to worry about it being taken out from under them by the landlord in the future.

Port Washington has houseboats as well as Seaford. As for how many people actually live year round on one, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island