Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
The south shore also has alot more flies. theres the downside of living here.
The green heads on LI can be annoying, but until you've been to the Jersey Shore in the Long Beach Island/Barnegat area, you don't know green heads. I would think twice about vacationing there in June solely because of how aggressive the flies are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Having lived on both shores, I will agree that there is a difference in temperatures. Last summer I was over by the West Sayville golf course area and it was easily 10-15 degrees cooler there with the breeze off the water as opposed to what it was when I arrived back in Stony Brook.

Also I have noticed a difference in weather traveling east/west. Someone else noted it could be raining in Massapequa and snowing in NE Suffolk. My SIL lives near my old house in Massapequa and we've noticed more than several times that it might be cloudy there, but raining here -- or vice versa. They've had dustings while we've had inches of snow.

Elsewhere on the thread humidity raised it's head. I have found it more humid on the south shore than on the north shore...but it's really splitting hairs (or frizzing my hair is more like it.)

Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,210 times
THe North Shore is definitely sunnier than the South Shore, It can be perfect blue skies at my house and then I'll drive to the ocean and 9 times out of 10 its a cloudy/hazy sky.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
The North Shore is brutal in summer. Particularly in Nassau. Glen Cove is probably the worst of them all, it can be 10-15 degrees hotter up there because the hills, esp Harbor Hill, block the effects of the sea breeze.
The Long Island Sound provides little relief.
The climate of the north shore is similar to that of Northern NJ and Westchester than Long Island. Its much snowier in winter as well.
The north shore of Suffolk, esp east of Rt.112 isnt as hot because of the further east location. The sea breeze can make its way further north out east for several reasons. The hills are shorter, and there's more undeveloped land. All the pavement in Nassau means the cooling effect of the ocean doesn't make it as far inland, so you generally have to be south of the Southern State to feel the effects of the sea breeze.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:32 AM

335 posts, read 935,448 times
Quote:
The south shore also has alot more flies. theres the downside of living here.
And lower Airplanes - - lots of Noise from JFK landing and takeoff patterns. North Shore not nearly the same.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,482 times
Rain in Massapequa doesnt mean anything. its the clouds that determine that, not the region. There were plenty of times I would be with my brother working and he would tell me how hard it rained by him in Nesconset during the night and I wouldnt get one drop in Massapequa. its just the pattern of the clouds. thats the silliest I ever heard that one area gets more rain than another.

the south shore gets flies because of its marshes. thats the reason.

I dont hear too many airplanes on the southshore, they are usually too high up by the time they get to Massapequa. Im sure its the same with Kennedy on the northshore, and with the helicopters going to the hamptons.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modmondays View Post
And lower Airplanes - - lots of Noise from JFK landing and takeoff patterns. North Shore not nearly the same.
Um, that's not really coming from the airport. I just loooooove chili.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:22 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Oh and if you think it has been raining a lot...you are right. As of Jan 1 we were about 5 inches below normal on rain. As of this week we are back to near normal. So we got the normal amount AND made up a 5 inch deficit in 6 months.
And I think that after last night/this morning we are heading toward an ABOVE-normal stat for this year so far! Talk about torrential downpours....!!

"How long can you tread water?"
(Bill Cosby fans will recognize where that comes from )

Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Rain in Massapequa doesnt mean anything. its the clouds that determine that, not the region. There were plenty of times I would be with my brother working and he would tell me how hard it rained by him in Nesconset during the night and I wouldnt get one drop in Massapequa. its just the pattern of the clouds. thats the silliest I ever heard that one area gets more rain than another.

the south shore gets flies because of its marshes. thats the reason.

I dont hear too many airplanes on the southshore, they are usually too high up by the time they get to Massapequa. Im sure its the same with Kennedy on the northshore, and with the helicopters going to the hamptons.
I don't know if the rain remark was directed at me, but if it was: if you had taken the time to read my post, I had written how it could rain in one area and snow in the other. Not once did I state one area received more rain. After all -- rain and snow are both considered precipitation.

Grew up in Massapequa and we used to hear a lot of Republic traffic, Grumman traffic, helicopters and Fire Island flights. Larger commercial flights weren't a big issue like you wrote -- they were up higher.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:43 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I don't know if the rain remark was directed at me, but if it was: if you had taken the time to read my post, I had written how it could rain in one area and snow in the other. Not once did I state one area received more rain. After all -- rain and snow are both considered precipitation.

Grew up in Massapequa and we used to hear a lot of Republic traffic, Grumman traffic, helicopters and Fire Island flights. Larger commercial flights weren't a big issue like you wrote -- they were up higher.
nah, it wasnt towards you.

the planes never bothered me. it was a part of life. the sea planes were always cool to check out and the helicoptors had to be there to rescue the ocean and beack goers all the time.

I don think I heard a single plane today....at least for the past 8 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island