Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
azzurrony, you're a man after my own heart.

Unfortunately, 75% of the people that have posted on this thread are either overpaid public employees or are married to one. They try and divert unrest toward a different breed of public sector worker (i.e. teachers whine about cop pay, and vice versa).

The truth is both cops and teachers are vastly overpaid. Cops have a GED-level education and *risk their lives* protecting us from the *dangerous* upper-middle class, saab-driving, guy next door. Teachers must invest so much effort into educating our privileged children. Gee I wonder if the reason our kids do so much better on standardized tests than their inner-city peers is because their classrooms are safe, their family can afford all of their necessities, and they come from generally well-educated, concerned households?

Bottom line is the public servants here on LI are nothing special. Vito the Guido who is Suffolk Cop does not have a harder job than an NYPD cop and does not have to deal with the NYC cost of living, but for some remarkable reason earns WAY more.

No more, let's not put up with this.

The Solution? Let's get rid of the Suffolk and Nassau Police Departments and use State Troopers instead. Most of upstate is policed by troopers alone, so it can be done. Heck, we're paying for State Troopers anyway, let's redeem our coupons.

As for teacher's, lets just dock their pay. Even if they top out at 90K as opposed to 125K I doubt many of the best teachers would leave. There are very few places in the country that they could make even that much.

We gotta call these people's bluffs. I guarantee you that the clout of the teacher's and police unions is nothing more than smoke and mirrors.
Tubafish...agree 100%. The problem is that cop and teacher unions get their families out there to vote in droves come election time. So, we get the same scum in office. As long as this State keeps electing and promoting garbage like Spitzer, Patterson, Suozzi, etc. the politics of old won't change. We need a young reform-minded leader that will cut through the old special interests.

Your proposals are good ones; however, I'd tweak them a bit.

1. We can't totally get rid of County cops because we aren't as rural as update NY. So, either we need a ton more State Troopers down here, or we keep the Nassau and Suffolk cops, and trim their payrolls. In Garden City, we have a lieutenant making $238,000 a year. INSANITY. Either they accept pay cuts/freezes and pension cuts across the board, or layoffs begin.

2. Teachers--There are so many skilled teachers dying to work on Long Island. Again I'd implement pay and benefit cuts/freezes there too, and if they don't accept them, let the cuts begin. We'll rehire very skilled competent teachers at 60% of the price.

I think people are starting to wake up to the scam going on here in NY, but its going to take a real leader to stand up against these special interests and for people to vote for him/her. It's going to be real tough because those special interests contribute a ton of campaign $$$ and really get the vote out. So, we have to counter that with a strong campaign at the grassroots level of our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM

76 posts, read 179,507 times
I forgot to mention that public employees should be transferred to 401K retirement plans. Pensions are old-school and unsustainable. Ain't no guarantees in life anymore. It's about time public employees are given a taste of economic reality.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
We gotta call these people's bluffs. I guarantee you that the clout of the teacher's and police unions is nothing more than smoke and mirrors.
Some say those unions have the politicians in their pockets.

Time for new politicians?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Some say those unions have the politicians in their pockets.

Time for new politicians?
Yes we need new politicians, but it will be hard because many local politicians need the money from those unions in order to win offices. Even republicans around here accept money from these unions when it comes to election time.

The Solution? Organize a PAC for concerned citizens that want to see tax reform. Everyone donates a little money so that we can get some true reformers into office and I think we would be in good shape.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times
Tubafish,

I think a PAC is a great idea. Clearly, the amount of angry taxpayers in LI far exceeds the union clans. We just have to make our voice heard. But, we need a good young reform minded candidate. The question is who?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Yes we need new politicians, but it will be hard because many local politicians need the money from those unions in order to win offices. Even republicans around here accept money from these unions when it comes to election time.

The Solution? Organize a PAC for concerned citizens that want to see tax reform. Everyone donates a little money so that we can get some true reformers into office and I think we would be in good shape.
Who do you think is responsible for the ridiculous police compensation in Suffolk County? Pat Halpin and Steve Levy, and none of the Republican County Execs in between? They've all been in bed with the Suffolk PBA for decades.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
^^ Its not going to change. When have you ever met a politician that doesnt turn into a snake when offered $$$? Money changes everyone!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Its not going to change. When have you ever met a politician that doesnt turn into a snake when offered $$$? Money changes everyone!
There are 2 things that motivate politicians: money and votes. If the voters tell them flat out "don't cave in to the unions or we will vote you out", they will listen. Problem is, there is no alternative..both Republicans and Democrats kiss the PBA's fanny on LI, because they provide big bucks and they motivate everyone related to them to vote, although the PBA running propaganda against Levy indicates that he's moving in the right direction.

When it comes to teachers salaries and school budgets, that's your local school boards fight.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There are 2 things that motivate politicians: money and votes. If the voters tell them flat out "don't cave in to the unions or we will vote you out", they will listen. Problem is, there is no alternative..both Republicans and Democrats kiss the PBA's fanny on LI, because they provide big bucks and they motivate everyone related to them to vote, although the PBA running propaganda against Levy indicates that he's moving in the right direction.

When it comes to teachers salaries and school budgets, that's your local school boards fight.
I think that has to do mainly with the switch to Suffolk Sherrifs for highway patrol. Who knew that people that make about half as much as Suffolk cops could enforce the law in Suffolk County equally as well?

Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,785 times
Default This is missing the real problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Tubafish...agree 100%. The problem is that cop and teacher unions get their families out there to vote in droves come election time. So, we get the same scum in office. As long as this State keeps electing and promoting garbage like Spitzer, Patterson, Suozzi, etc. the politics of old won't change. We need a young reform-minded leader that will cut through the old special interests.

Your proposals are good ones; however, I'd tweak them a bit.

1. We can't totally get rid of County cops because we aren't as rural as update NY. So, either we need a ton more State Troopers down here, or we keep the Nassau and Suffolk cops, and trim their payrolls. In Garden City, we have a lieutenant making $238,000 a year. INSANITY. Either they accept pay cuts/freezes and pension cuts across the board, or layoffs begin.

2. Teachers--There are so many skilled teachers dying to work on Long Island. Again I'd implement pay and benefit cuts/freezes there too, and if they don't accept them, let the cuts begin. We'll rehire very skilled competent teachers at 60% of the price.

I think people are starting to wake up to the scam going on here in NY, but its going to take a real leader to stand up against these special interests and for people to vote for him/her. It's going to be real tough because those special interests contribute a ton of campaign $$$ and really get the vote out. So, we have to counter that with a strong campaign at the grassroots level of our own.
First, the nature of the problem is the unreasonable tax burden placed on the people paying for these salaries and benefits.

Second, that burden is unreasonable because private sector pay has stagnated and/or dropped over the last 35 years.

Third, we aren't blaming those failing to pay private sector employees, despite the fact that productivity has increased every year since the early 1970s. Instead, we point our fingers at those who make more than the private sector employees.

Seems to me, people should be paid enough to pay their taxes. You don't reduce the quality and extent of public service in order to meet the deteriorating means of the tax paying public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island