Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:19 PM

15 posts, read 13,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I have a neighbor who operates a business right on the sidewalk in front of his house pretty much all summer long, with the exception of the days where the temperature dips below 65 or it rains. This has been the second year he's been working right out on the street.

He also yells at passing cars trying to solicit business from time to time -- and sometimes his "friends" join in -- and I was wondering about the legality of that, too.

At the risk of sounding like a snob, the sight of this enterprise is beginning to get to me, to say the least. It seems to have become a semi-permanent fixture on an otherwise nice piece of property. It really does seem to cheapen the look of the neighborhood. I've tried to bring up the subject of the lemonade stand to him, but I find it difficult to argue with an 8 year old, and also he's tried to bribe me, knowing I get thirsty like everyone else.

Are there any laws against this sort of thing in Levittown, or in the Town of Hempstead in general?
LOL. thanks for the laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 05:27 PM

15 posts, read 13,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We used to call those roach clips.
Hemostats were better.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:40 PM

366 posts, read 1,036,696 times
This thread is absolutely ridiculous!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
I have a neighbor who operates a business right on the sidewalk in front of his house pretty much all summer long, with the exception of the days where the temperature dips below 65 or it rains. This has been the second year he's been working right out on the street.

He also yells at passing cars trying to solicit business from time to time -- and sometimes his "friends" join in -- and I was wondering about the legality of that, too.

At the risk of sounding like a snob, the sight of this enterprise is beginning to get to me, to say the least. It seems to have become a semi-permanent fixture on an otherwise nice piece of property. It really does seem to cheapen the look of the neighborhood. I've tried to bring up the subject of the lemonade stand to him, but I find it difficult to argue with an 8 year old, and also he's tried to bribe me, knowing I get thirsty like everyone else.

Are there any laws against this sort of thing in Levittown, or in the Town of Hempstead in general?
You can't be serious. Leave the 8 year old alone and be happy that his is an enterprising young kid.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Golly! What you need to do is setup a camera monitoring system to record his sales and determine what his revenues total up to. Bug his stand to capture any conversations with suppliers, customers and potential business partners. Once you have determined the full extent of his business enterprise and holdings you can turn him over to the IRS. That is the only effective way of dealing with budding capitalists.

Oy Vey!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Golly! What you need to do is setup a camera monitoring system to record his sales and determine what his revenues total up to. Bug his stand to capture any conversations with suppliers, customers and potential business partners. Once you have determined the full extent of his business enterprise and holdings you can turn him over to the IRS. That is the only effective way of dealing with budding capitalists.

Oy Vey!
John gets it. Tristansmommy does not.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:05 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
You can't be serious. Leave the 8 year old alone and be happy that his is an enterprising young kid.
Oh trust me, TristansMommy, I am totally serious. This whole lemonade stand thing is just "the straw that broke the camel's back", as they say. Right now, my plan of action is to make hundreds of 1,000+ word posts on here threatening to leave Long Island and about how no one understands my totally unique dilemma. They will be full of wild accusations and make me sound like I have borderline personality disorder, and I will attack any other posters who don't pour out gobs of sympathy for me. I will use terrible grammar and misspell most words to the point that you will think you are reading a 13 year old's text message inbox.

Does this sound like a good plan? Can you give me some pointers?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:59 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Oh trust me, TristansMommy, I am totally serious. This whole lemonade stand thing is just "the straw that broke the camel's back", as they say. Right now, my plan of action is to make hundreds of 1,000+ word posts on here threatening to leave Long Island and about how no one understands my totally unique dilemma. They will be full of wild accusations and make me sound like I have borderline personality disorder, and I will attack any other posters who don't pour out gobs of sympathy for me. I will use terrible grammar and misspell most words to the point that you will think you are reading a 13 year old's text message inbox.

Does this sound like a good plan? Can you give me some pointers?

I have some pointers. Get a life!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:07 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,370 times
Very good thread SeanX4. These posts have made me laugh. Most get it. Some don't.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMoneyPit View Post
Hemostats were better.
True; but it didn't have play off of pot holder as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: