Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 AM

240 posts, read 237,240 times

Advertisements

This weather absolutely blows. As a registered independent who leans to the right, I do not think the notion of climate change due to pollution is so far-fetched. Al Gore takes it to a ridiculous level, but it is reasonable to say that pollution is harmful to us, our climate and our environment and should be minimized if at all possible. The republicans are destroying themselves by opposing this notion so vehemently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM

874 posts, read 2,875,859 times
Hey. I am not looking to offend everyone. I was simply making a joke. I personally do not agree with global warming but I have nothing against those who do. I believe as a whole this is more of an opinion based issue. There are prominent scientists whom say "climate change" as it is now called is real as well as prominent scientists whom say it is a farce.

In my own opinion, which I will admit does not count for much, I do not think in the history of weather on this planet, with the amount of time that weather has actually been documented, there is not enough evidence to say whether this weather period is another natural weather cycle on this planet or not. This is why I believe there are prominent scientists on both side of this issue. There is really not enough proof to support either sides argument or one side would change their mind. I do happen to remember a time when I was a kid in the later part of the 70's when they were talking about another ice age though.

The only thing I do take offense to is someone telling me what kind of vehicle I should be allowed to drive. If one wants to get a hybrid, so be it. If I want to cruise around in my 8 mile per gallon 68 Newport on the weekends that should be my choice. As long as I am paying for the fuel why should it be anyone else's business?

Again; I was simply making a joke. I was not trying to make everyone tense. Maybe there is something to the weather making people cranky?

That was another joke.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:18 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
And those melting ice caps in the far north is just by coincidence or is it all conguluted maps? There is no denying the fact that greenhouses gases are not good thing.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 AM

874 posts, read 2,875,859 times
Where is the actual proof of them melting due to "greenhouse" gases? As I said previously, there are prominent scientists on both sides of the issue that will argue their reasons for it. Which scientists an individual such as you or I decides to agree with is whichever supports that individual's opinion which makes this an opinionated argument no matter which side you agree with.

As I said; I have a much bigger problem with the government regulating what I am "allowed" to drive. Do they have emissions regulations on NASA or any other company that puts satellites into orbit for cell phones and the like? I have not found any studies on it but may start looking now to see how many cars running for how long it would take to equal the pollution created by one space shuttle rocket launch.

As I said if someone would like to get a Hybrid not just for the fuel savings but for what they feel is helping the environment, that is a wonderful thing. At the same time; if I want to drive a gas guzzler, that should be my decision.

As for those whom are enjoying the fuel savings in their Hybrid vehicles, just wait until they get a bit older and the warranty goes away and you need repair. I work on vehicles as a hobby and am seeing a lot of very expensive repair equipment that is coming out exclusively for Hybrid vehicles. Where do you think the cost for that expensive equipment is going to trickle down to? The owners of the vehicles that need the equipment for their repair of course. Do not read this wrong either. I am not wishing for people with Hybrids to have problems with them at all.

I would personally buy a four cylinder car over a Hybrid until the technology is out for a number of years more and they can work the kinks out. This is the same reason I would never buy a car during the first two or three years with a newly introduced engine. If you look up statistics you will see that the first two years of a newly introduced engine tends to bring problems.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Global warming is happening. whether it is a man made phenomenon or not could still have some wiggle room for debate, but there are people spouting off on the radio every day saying that it isn't even happening and that it's all a liberal plot to destroy the US economy. I wasn't singling you out, Egobop, just stating in general how much of this nonsense I've been hearing lately from people reacting to the bad weather.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
What is the use of all of us cutting back on greenhouse emissions, on having cap and trade put a heavy tax on the oil which we use, when in China they are wreaking havoc on the environment with their coal fueled plants and wanton disregard for public health? The atmosphere will bring their contaminants to us, given time.

I don't suggest we out gas them (so to speak) but that more pressure be placed on nations who are doing little if anything to reduce their carbon footprint.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
What is the use of all of us cutting back on greenhouse emissions, on having cap and trade put a heavy tax on the oil which we use, when in China they are wreaking havoc on the environment with their coal fueled plants and wanton disregard for public health? The atmosphere will bring their contaminants to us, given time.

I don't suggest we out gas them (so to speak) but that more pressure be placed on nations who are doing little if anything to reduce their carbon footprint.
China and India are going to keep doing what they want to do unless they get bribed.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,478 times
Just to clarify: There are no prominent (emphasis on prominent- as in they actually have an advanced degree and are well respected in their field) scientists saying that Global Warming is not happening. None. World wide. None. You are mixing political adjendas with scientific knowlegde. Political agendas have led to the "well, we can't prove conclusively that it is true". Science can't prove ANYTHING conclusively. Period. It's all part of the scientific method and process. Gravity is still a theory.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
Im seriously losing my effin mind with this weather. This is the worst June I have ever seen. Look at the 10 day forcast....rain, rain, rain...

10 Day Weather Forecast for Islip, NY (11751) - weather.com

Old 06-25-2009, 11:31 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,279 times
This will soon be the summer "that wasn't"....argh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island