Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 5 days ago)

8,822 posts, read 21,304,107 times

Advertisements

I was very young when two year old Steven Damon totally disappeared, but I remember it very well. It was so frightening. Sort of like the Etan Patz story of the fifties . Probably no one else on this forum would remember this, but it was a case that was in the news for years and years.
Now, it appears that he may be alive and living in the midwest. The man claiming to be Steven explained that he never felt as if he were a part of his family & researched child abduction cases from all over the US that would have occured around the time he would have been a toddler.

DNA tests indicate that this man might be he.

I wonder if this would be the longest time that someone has disappeared and been found .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,439,364 times
Is there a link to the story, Nancy? I googled it and couldnt bring anything up. I remember a case of a little boy (toddler) who was kidnapped from NY and years later, things came to a head when he wanted to become a policeman and they had to do a background check (by then he was in his 20's and living in NM) - his adoptive parents went on trial and both got time but not a lot, both were in poor health - he later met his parents and I believe a grandparent and his full siblings but felt very close to his parents in NM and as far as I know, stayed there with them. I think he knew he was adopted but not kidnapped (apparently the adoption wasn't finalized and the parents changed their minds). Have often thought of the case and wondered how they're doing. Curious about the case you mentioned as well.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 PM

67 posts, read 360,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Sort of like the Etan Patz story of the fifties.
Etan Patz was kidnapped in 1979.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etan_Patz

Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 PM

I found it - the spelling was off - interesting, curious as to the DNA results

Michigan man claims he was N.Y. boy who vanished in 1955 - CNN.com

Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,561,899 times
Wow, that would be something.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,595,103 times
Poor mom and dad. It seems from the article that they're reluctant to give the DNA samples that could prove whether or not this is their son.
Maybe they don't want to know.
I doubt that even the return of their son could unbreak their hearts, after half a century.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:55 PM

They have his sister's DNA so I would think they could corroborate his identity using that (and the claimant's) even w/o the parents'. Personally, I'd want to know one way or the other no matter how many years it's been, it would give some sort of closure. Too bad they can't post a photo of the person but of course that's understandable. Would love to know the outcome, I wonder how long it would take.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:18 AM

294 posts, read 610,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLongIsland View Post

Etan Patz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
She was saying that this was the Etan Patz story of her day (i.e. the 1950s); not that Etan Patz was abducted in the 1950s.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Sort of like the Etan Patz story of the fifties.

What I meant was that is was the same story only it was in the 1950s. When my son who is in his mid-thirties now was small and we lived in the city, we were stopped quite a few times by the police because he resembled (as all blonde six year old boys probably did ) Etan Patz.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-17-2009, 04:00 PM

Honeycrisp; I do remember the boy who was taken to New Mexico and I recall that he sided with his adoptive parents during the trial . How sad for his birth parents. I wonder what ever did happen.

And, that terrible case in California of Steven & that mesmerizing TV movie of his abduction and captivity. I think that his real brother became a serial killer or something.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: