Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:39 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,872 times

Advertisements

So last week I read that steve levy implemented a holistic policing policy. Why?
He explained that he would take officers from one precinct and spread them among others so that they can be aware of other areas within Suffolk county.

sounds good on paper eh?

However what it did was transfer several officers from among all squads and sectors of the Police Department to other precincts and sectors throughout the county.

What does this mean?

It means that your beat officer. The veterans patrolling your neighborhoods for years and basically knows who is who and every in and out of your area will be reassigned. The officer that knows each street like the back of his hand will no longer be responding to your house. The officer that knows what is normal and what is out of the ordinary will no longer be there to catch what is amiss.

instead..

You'll have a guy who worked years in wyandanch patrolling rocky point who has no clue where to go except by GPS or Hagstrom when an emergency call goes out or a violent crime is taking place. When minutes and seconds count , life or death is on the line.

sounds extreme and dramatic unless your the victim in Rocky Point or anywhere else.

why?

lets not kid ourselves it isn't to broaden the horizons of a veteran officer.

it's punishment..bullying..perhaps forcing vets to consider retirement.
he is making Police commute to work farther. He is trying to make life difficult. He is hiding behind the word holistic.
I'll give him credit for his tactic

however:
People are getting hurt. Officers may even get hurt in an unfamiliar environment.

Lets see a bit of what else he has done:

Shut down seasoned highway patrol officers on deadly highways with less experienced personnel.

Shut down Homicide and detectives on call.

Shut down COPE....The guys that zero in on trouble spots called in by concerned citizens.

Shutting down crime control...the guys that work domestics and other crimes.

Shut down Warrants...the guys that arrest bad people,dangerous people for dangerous things.

Marine Bureau...how many lives have they saved?

Possibly Canine..

Narcotics personnel will be cut

Gang units...because I guess crips,bloods, and MS-13 arent bad enough..

and they are 500 + police short...but you're all still paying for them.

But lets blame the cops.

Last edited by LongIslandCitizen; 07-24-2009 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 06:06 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
It means that your beat officer. The one who have been veterans and patrolling your neighborhoods for years and basically knows who is who and every in and out of your area will be reassigned

Are you sure about this? It sounds so counter-productive. The local First Precinct SCPD cops who patrol here in Babylon Village really do seem to know what's going on and they are familiar with all the unsavory dangerous characters that we have here. They know how to deal with them.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-24-2009, 06:16 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
It means that your beat officer. The one who have been veterans and patrolling your neighborhoods for years and basically knows who is who and every in and out of your area will be reassigned

Are you sure about this? It sounds so counter-productive. The local First Precinct SCPD cops who patrol here in Babylon Village really do seem to know what's going on and they are familiar with all the unsavory dangerous characters that we have here. They know how to deal with them.
I absolutely know about this. The orders and first wave of reassignments and transfers happened last Friday in every precinct, squad, and sector.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 6,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
I absolutely know about this. The orders and first wave of reassignments and transfers happened last Friday in every precinct, squad, and sector.
Blame the SCPD. It's the SCPD's fault for all of this - they are too expensive and something needs to be done to balance the budget. That's what happens when you have a patrol officer working a little bit of OT and making $135k a year.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:16 PM

999 posts, read 2,358,383 times
You know what i was told by a SCPD officer responding to my call of my vehicles being broken into... Not to mention i had a clear hand and finger print that didn't even need dusting to catch...
I was told this is a petty crime... Really..so the crime cost me 3200, that sure as **** ain't petty, but the police didn't have to do there job....

Amazing, absolutely amazing...

Basically i was told if the police do not see me doing it themselves it's ok to rob people's stuff.....

500 plus short is BS.... they made all the PD personal not doing PD jobs start doing PD jobs...

Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,859 times
I am retired from the NYPD. If anything the NYPD officer's pay should be brought to that of a Suffolk County officer. Suffolk County officers should not be brought down to the pay of the NYPD. I look at it this way; once an officer gets into an extremely bad situation such as a shooting or God forbid one should be shot, that officer has easily earned every penny he has ever made. Being that this could happen to any officer at any time why is it that people think an officer should not make a good living? People do not complain so much about the pay a school teacher makes but yet they complain about what a police officer whom can be put in a life or death situation at any time makes.

It is also a well known fact that when police officers have good salaries the chances of them being tempted by corruption are much slimmer.

There have been a number of posts I have read where people seem happy that there may be less police thinking that now maybe they can get away with speeding or some nonsense. Those same people should remember that real criminals pay very close attention to what is happening with the police departments and when they know that the overall number of police is dropping and that certain units are being disbanded they also get happy and will commit more crimes. Not all criminals are stupid and unfortunately the ones that tend to be the smartest as far as knowing where and when it is good to commit crimes tend to be the more violent kind. I wonder if these same people would be laughing about less cops when crime in their neighborhoods go up or if one day someone has a gun in their face while telling them to give up their money.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:40 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
You know what i was told by a SCPD officer responding to my call of my vehicles being broken into... Not to mention i had a clear hand and finger print that didn't even need dusting to catch...
I was told this is a petty crime... Really..so the crime cost me 3200, that sure as **** ain't petty, but the police didn't have to do there job....

Amazing, absolutely amazing...

Basically i was told if the police do not see me doing it themselves it's ok to rob people's stuff.....

500 plus short is BS.... they made all the PD personal not doing PD jobs start doing PD jobs...
You watch far too much television. Breaking into your car is at most larceny and potentially criminal mischief, both misdemeanors. Solvability factors are near zero, despite your "". Cops are not going to spend inordinate amounts of time investigating these crimes. That's the reality.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:44 PM

There was no need to spend inordinate amounts of time with 2 clear prints....

OH i know the problem, my shop doesn't have a tv show like unique whips...

But hey SCPD dusted his truck for a $300 radio.... Next issue you want to defend them on.....

Good thing i was watching that show.......

Old 07-24-2009, 08:51 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
There was no need to spend inordinate amounts of time with 2 clear prints....

OH i know the problem, my shop doesn't have a tv show like unique whips...

But hey SCPD dusted his truck for a $300 radio.... Next issue you want to defend them on.....

Good thing i was watching that show.......
And just what do you think the cop was going to do with those prints? First, patrol cops don't do fingerprints; that's done by a crime scene unit. (Since there's only one or maybe two working for the entire county, they're probably out doing more important stuff -- like homicides, robberies or burglaries.) Second, once the prints are taken, they have to be run through a computer and an investigation initiated -- again, not a patrol cops job. I guess you could give the case to a detective, but then you'd just be adding it to his 20 or 30 other active cases and I'm sure that your petty larceny would wind up at the bottom of the pile. The reality is that this isn't CSI NY. The problem with most citizens is that they think police work is just like what they see on television. Sorry to disappoint you.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:09 PM

So why then did you guy's do it for unique whips and his $300 dollar loss and not my multiple vehicle over $3200 loss.

Hammer i know the patrol officer doesn't do it... know one wanted to do anything.... Just another half assed job letting the criminal start his carreer and get a head start onto better crimes...

Im done talking with you officer and your higher then thou comments....maybe the alky on your end...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island