Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM

146 posts, read 840,590 times

Advertisements

Most people were friendly, but there was no welcome wagon of pies and fruit baskets. I was happy to see people of the same mindset...courteous but private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:59 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Do you have kids? I think when you have kids you tend to meet more of your neighbors with children. All my neighbors with kids are buddy buddy.

Honestly, I'm one of those 'standoffish' neighbors. I'll say hi if I see my neighbors out and wave if I drive by, but I'm not really interested in striking up a conversation. Color, ethnicity or sexual orientation doesn't matter to me - I still don't wanna talk. When I finally drag my carcass home from work, I want to retreat from the world and not smile at everyone (I'm an office secretary for 19 people).
^^
Lives next to Pee Paw....

Old 07-27-2009, 01:14 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
^^^^ Oh, I'm not that bad. Most of the neighbors were only interested in whether or not I had kids their kids could play with. Once the found out I didn't, they lost interest as well.

I chat now and again, usually on weekends and with long time neighbors, but overall I don't seek out people to talk with. When new people move in next door (which, since it's a section 8 rental, is quite often). I won't go out of my way to welcome them to the neighborhood. I may say hi, but that's all.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Only had one set of neighbors go out of their way to come say hello and welcome us.
My direct nextdoor neighbor had no choice because we came within a few feet of each other and made eye contact.
I like it this way. I want nothing to do with anybody, I learned my lesson on my last block. Every one seemed so nice and friendly til you got to know them...
total whack jobs.
We vowed to not speak to anybody when we moved. Not be rude or anything like that, but nothing more than a "hi" or a smile.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
no -- but they are civil. dont like me but respect me. i think my presence makes them uncomfortable --wealthy alcoholics are like that.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Some good tips are here for your perusal...

Realty Times - Etiquette for New Homeowners and Neighbors

Be open minded, some neighbors will not want to be disturbed, some might be friendly. It might help if its a cul-de-sac. Say hi to your neighbors whenever you can. If you have a snow blower and are doing your driveway, do the neighbors too once a while (don't go too much out of the way though - * privacy intrusion alert *) I cannot comment on how your race is perceived, but if you are educated and maintain your house properly and do not create trouble, you are welcome to be my neighbor any day.

P.S: I love Indian food....

Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
We bought the worst home on the street and were out there every day doing all manner of work to improve the house and the property. There were days when there was a flurry of activity and I could understand why neighbors didn't come over -- they didn't know who was the new owner.

At first I was a bit disappointed until I came to learn that the house across from me was an old summer home, long vacant; the other three were rentals, and the neighbor on the other side lived in Europe 6 months out of the year. There were only a few more houses on the street -- another vacant held by people out of state, a very quiet family, and an elderly recluse.

We did hear a little voice from behind us calling out to our child. He had a little friend from Day 1.

Since that day, I have made a point of greeting my new neighbors with flowers. All three of the rentals are now owner occupied, the two vacant homes are now beautiful and well-kept, the recluse's daughter has moved into her home, the quiet family sold to another family. My part time European neighbor still keeps commuting and has me watch his home in his absence.

The little voice has grown into quite a beautiful young lady. Who would have known?

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 07-27-2009 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: word left off

Old 07-27-2009, 08:58 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We bought the worst home on the street and were out there every day doing all manner of work to improve the house and the property. There were days when there was a flurry of activity and I could understand why neighbors didn't come over -- they didn't know who was the new owner.

At first I was a bit disappointed until I came to learn that the house across from me was an old summer home, long vacant; the other three were rentals, and the neighbor on the other side lived in Europe 6 months out of the year. There were only a few more houses on the street -- another vacant held by people out of state, a very quiet family, and an elderly recluse.

We did hear a little voice from behind us calling out to our child. He had a little friend from Day 1.

Since that day, I have made a point of greeting my new neighbors with flowers. All three of the rentals are now owner occupied, the two vacant homes are now beautiful and well-kept, the recluse's daughter has moved into her home, the quiet family sold to another family. My part time European neighbor still keeps commuting and has me watch his home in his absence.

The little voice has grown into quite a beautiful young lady. Who have known?

Poetry Beehave

Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,750 times
I do think there is a suburban fear of meeting and greeting new people, and it seems to be getting worse. When I moved in a year ago, I had three neighbors introduce themselves and one was nice enough to come out and help me move my sofa. Another was nice enough to invite us over for tea.

After 6 months, I made it a point to talk to all neighbors I met on the street and introduce myself. Not everyone is friendly, but I know a lot more people in my neighborhood now.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:07 PM

294 posts, read 879,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy27 View Post
Hi Guys,
I was just wondering if people still welcome the new neighbors anymore ?
We are a minority family (east indian) thinking of moving to a neighborhood where most of the residents (obviously americans) have Italian and european origins. Moreover because ours will be the only "ethnic" family in the neighborhood. Do you think we might be ignored ? I mean in general the area looks really nice and well kept and my guess is that the people are well educated and are earning well.
Any information helps.
I live in a predominantly white area, with some Asian and East Indian families as well. An African American family moved in directly across from me about 2 months ago, and at least 4 families including us, went over to welcome them to the neighborhood. I made cookies as well. We told them all the ins and outs of our neighborhood; where the good pizza is, where to get a pool pass, garbage collection, etc......
All 4 families were invited to a party at their home 2 weeks ago for their son's christening and it was lovely. Our block party is coming up and we all all participating, so it is another chance to get know each other.
I hope people feel welcome when they move into a new area. Neighbors need to look out for each other and treat each other with respect and common decency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island