Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,808,494 times

Advertisements

a few months back my friends son had an incident on school. He was being bullied by another child ; everytime he would pass this certain child, my friends son would be punched or hit. Now I know my friends son was wrong, but eventually he and his friends did beat this child ; they are all 14-15. Yes, he should have told a teacher, but didnt. He did get suspended and got probation and community service. We thought it was all over and done with.

Now the child who got beaten up, decided to retaliate and had some of his friends beat up my friends son. The people who beat up this child were all minorities and my friends son is not. He was unconsious but is ok now. The child who ordered the hit was expelled from schools in the past and one of the beaters has since been in jail for a different crime.

How hard is it to be a regular teen these days. What are these children thinking. My friends are normal hard working, regular people. Yes, their son was wrong in the fact that he should have spoken to the teachers, and he should not have taken the law into his own hands. The child is a very quiet child and has never been a discilpine problem before in school.

My other question ; does anyone know of a decent school program in suffolk that this child can go to. Of course he and his parents do not feel safe sending him to the public school in the area because all these kids are in the school.

Of course if the son had beaten up minorities, it would be splashed all over the Newsday ; the other way around ; I think not.

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 07:18 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,518,481 times
Wow...tough situation.

Could they consider home schooling?

Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 AM

270 posts, read 970,037 times
What School District was this?

Old 07-27-2009, 07:25 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,288,785 times
Saint Anthony's or Saint John the Baptist do not have these problems. Most regular high schools don't either, but you probably do not live in their districts.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 AM

654 posts, read 2,121,534 times
If this is common place in the schools in that district they should just move to a better neighborhood. Whether the child is placed in private school or home schooled he is still going to have contact with the other children from that neighborhood.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 AM

874 posts, read 2,876,190 times
This is a hard situation to comment on since we do not know all of the facts. The majority of the time someone will not walk down the hallway and hit someone without something happening between the two to lead up to this.

I find it hard to believe that this teenager did not know that either himself, or one, or all of the other people he was with when they beat up the "bully"; had no idea that this would lead to himself or one or all of the others to get jumped. This leads me to believe that the teenager is not as "innocent" as you think. Did the teenager being "bullied" tell his parents anything about being punched when passing the "bully" before the incident or after. If it was after the incident than this is obviously an excuse being brought to the parents as to why he had a group of other teenagers jump the one teenager which lead to his arrest and would lead me to the conclusion that this is not the reason for the fighting.

I also do not understand what difference it makes whether your friend's son or the individuals he is fighting with are minorities or not. This is purely irrelevant and believe it or not does not put your friend's child in the right without knowing all of the facts. I believe the reason this would not be in Newsday is due to the fact that the "good little white kid" was the first to take action that actually lead to him getting jumped. It is not as if he was a white teenager walking down the street whom was jumped by a group of minorities yelling racial slurs at him and beating him up because he was white.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:29 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,346,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Saint Anthony's or Saint John the Baptist do not have these problems. Most regular high schools don't either, but you probably do not live in their districts.

Yeah, there is no history of Catholic schools wrecking generations of America's youth.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
This is a hard situation to comment on since we do not know all of the facts. The majority of the time someone will not walk down the hallway and hit someone without something happening between the two to lead up to this.

I find it hard to believe that this teenager did not know that either himself, or one, or all of the other people he was with when they beat up the "bully"; had no idea that this would lead to himself or one or all of the others to get jumped. This leads me to believe that the teenager is not as "innocent" as you think. Did the teenager being "bullied" tell his parents anything about being punched when passing the "bully" before the incident or after. If it was after the incident than this is obviously an excuse being brought to the parents as to why he had a group of other teenagers jump the one teenager which lead to his arrest and would lead me to the conclusion that this is not the reason for the fighting.

I also do not understand what difference it makes whether your friend's son or the individuals he is fighting with are minorities or not. This is purely irrelevant and believe it or not does not put your friend's child in the right without knowing all of the facts. I believe the reason this would not be in Newsday is due to the fact that the "good little white kid" was the first to take action that actually lead to him getting jumped. It is not as if he was a white teenager walking down the street whom was jumped by a group of minorities yelling racial slurs at him and beating him up because he was white.
The child who was being bullied is a very quiet child, and as a teenager he felt he could handle it. You know teenagers ; they think they are indestructable and can handle all of what life throws at them.

The child who was doing the bullying, well he has made treats in previous schools, had a hit list going around in that school and was expelled. I am not saying at all that my friends son was innocent ; he made mistakes ; the first one being not saying anything to the teachers. However, he has had some problems with reading and when the parents were asking for resource help since 1st grade, the school district always turned them down. Now of course he will get the help he needs, only if he goes back to the high school.

He cannot be homeschooled as both parents work. Parochial school is a defiante alternative. That may work.

It really stinks as it can happen to anyone. After being finished with the court system, the parents thought it was over and done with and the child knew what he needed to do and was cooperating. But however, the bullied child obviously knows the system and plays it to his advantage.

D

Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 AM

It is Pat/Med district.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
If this is common place in the schools in that district they should just move to a better neighborhood. Whether the child is placed in private school or home schooled he is still going to have contact with the other children from that neighborhood.
I grew up in Westchester, went to an ELITE public high school where most of the children drove to school in a BMW or Mercedes, and this kind of stuff still happened there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island