Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Suffolk Meadows? They cleared the land there and everyone flipped out! They've been threatening to put a mall there for at least 25 years. Each time, it's blocked. The latest news is they want to put an "Outdoor" mall, which makes no sense (Like this is California or something)
Suffolk Meadows is the Pine Barrens, btw.
How is this location somehow more ideal than Levy's proposed site?
Suffolk Meadows is not a good location either, its in the middle of the pine barrens. I would hope that this area is turned into a County Park, it could easily be an extention of the Warbler Woods preserve.
I've actually been wanting to do some hiking back there, but there's no trail I can find so far that goes to the Suffolk Meadows site. According to Google, the pines are growing back quite nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:10 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Public football and baseball fields need to be mowed and fertilized, right? Maybe some insecticide too. That will runoff into the groundwater. I guess you wont mind Yaphank Road turning into bumper to bumper traffic everyday. I guess you dont mind that the worsening traffic on Long Island creates pollution, contibuting to higher asthma and cancer levels.
Just look at Route 58 in Riverhead, and all the traffic means more garbage at the side of the road, which will wind up in the pine barrens.
So you have BNL, a dump, and a power plant nearby, so that justifies adding even more pollution to the environment. At least BNL, the power plant, and the dump dont clog the roads with traffic. Habitat loss is a major problem on Long Island. You probably are the type to complain about the deer in your yard, but they along with other animals were forced out of their habitat by its destruction.
I produced this video, and I think I did a pretty good job on getting my point across. There will always be a few people who dont see how this project harms the environment. Just like when Route 58 was changed. But you see the results of that, dont you?
As far as what the civic association did, yes, that was mean, perhaps considered extortion. But dont let that cloud your mind to the damage this project will cause the environment.
There are plenty of other, better locations for such a project, that sit in decay. They could be used to gentify areas in Suffolk that are suffering, like Brentwood, Medford, CI,etc.
This is a good project but in the wrong place.

Who owns these other sites you speak of?

You can't compare Yaphank Road to route 58. Bumper to bumper traffic on Yaphank Road? Are you serious? The 2 mile long road that runs between Main St and Horseblock Road? Traffic? Where is this traffic coming from? They built several hundred homes just down the Road on Victory Ave and Gerard Road, why aren't we sitting in bumper to bumper traffic?
EVERYTHING harms the environment. If you believe we should not develop ANYTHING then fine, you can have that opinion, but it's a bit naive. A developer wants to build a house in the woods and the environmentalist already has a house in the woods.
Stop being so dramatic.
You seem unaware that the latest trend in football and baseball field turf is artificial surface, which requires no mowing or watering or fertilizers.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:14 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,105 times
Quote:
Who owns these other sites you speak of?

You can't compare Yaphank Road to route 58. Bumper to bumper traffic on Yaphank Road? Are you serious? The 2 mile long road that runs between Main St and Horseblock Road? Traffic? Where is this traffic coming from? They built several hundred homes just down the Road on Victory Ave and Gerard Road, why aren't we sitting in bumper to bumper traffic?
And besides, there's MORE THAN ENOUGH room to widen Yaphank Avenue to two lanes each way.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Hefty hefty hefty!
Cinch Sack Cinch Sack Cinch Sack

Old 08-13-2009, 01:26 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Public football and baseball fields need to be mowed and fertilized, right? Maybe some insecticide too. That will runoff into the groundwater. I guess you wont mind Yaphank Road turning into bumper to bumper traffic everyday. I guess you dont mind that the worsening traffic on Long Island creates pollution, contibuting to higher asthma and cancer levels.
Just look at Route 58 in Riverhead, and all the traffic means more garbage at the side of the road, which will wind up in the pine barrens.
So you have BNL, a dump, and a power plant nearby, so that justifies adding even more pollution to the environment. At least BNL, the power plant, and the dump dont clog the roads with traffic. Habitat loss is a major problem on Long Island. You probably are the type to complain about the deer in your yard, but they along with other animals were forced out of their habitat by its destruction.
I produced this video, and I think I did a pretty good job on getting my point across. There will always be a few people who dont see how this project harms the environment. Just like when Route 58 was changed. But you see the results of that, dont you?
As far as what the civic association did, yes, that was mean, perhaps considered extortion. But dont let that cloud your mind to the damage this project will cause the environment.
There are plenty of other, better locations for such a project, that sit in decay. They could be used to gentify areas in Suffolk that are suffering, like Brentwood, Medford, CI,etc.
This is a good project but in the wrong place.

Medford is clearly suffering (not in the same breath as Bwood and CI)but that would be perfect for the 112 corridor provided transportation is taken into account.

A Brookhaven Intermodal would be ideal there along with housing and mixed use entertainment/restaurants etc.
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...service-5.html

Crooks

Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,962 times
motorsports park.... somewhere on the island.... please....

Old 08-13-2009, 02:37 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
motorsports park.... somewhere on the island.... please....

+1.
Unfortunatley, everyone will complain about noise, traffic, etc and get it killed.
A NASCAR oval with road course would be awesome. Man, that would bring tens of millions $$ to Long Island for ONE WEEKS work. Not bad.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:36 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
I say build up all those sites.

everyone bitchs on here about the expensive cost of housing and taxes in the areas, but when additonal housing units are proposed, everyone is saying.... too dense too dense.

You bought on LI, you didn't buy in the country. Even if you think you did, guess what? things change. we live within driving distance of the largest city in the US and you cry too many people.

For once we have smart development planned as opposed to high end retirement communities and still can't get things passed.

Between the hold up for this and the lighthouse project, I'm amazed anyone wants to put any effort into real development on LI.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:47 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,416 times
I wish they would build a motorsports park as well. I would definitely race there. I miss the Hamptons 1/4 mile track. People on Long Island would never stand for it though. It is a shame.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:56 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Medford is clearly suffering (not in the same breath as Bwood and CI)
Crooks
Not to get off topic, but how is Medford suffering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island