Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 AM

48 posts, read 91,872 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have 2 children and would like to move there. Our income is 120K annum. We are both of latin descent but I am very fair skinned and blond and he is tanned skin. Our children as well. I just realized that I've been dreaming of Rockville and excited to move when I'm not even certain we'd be welcomed too kindly.

I'm only asking b/c candidness of this nature seems prevalent on this forum and I appreciate the truth. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
It's seems you have a lot of questions about a lot of places here and in Rockland and Westchester, judging by your posts on all the NY forums. Why don't you at least visit the towns you are interested in to get a feel for the culture, vibe, etc - and see for yourself? I can't imagine spending the kind of money you are talking about and not spending a goodly amount of time in these places.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM

48 posts, read 91,872 times
Hi Twingles, thanks for your response. Of course I'm visiting these towns and making inquiries on them since I'm deciding between the three areas. I have been to Rockland County many times. Very friendly towns (we're considering Pearl River or New City in this area). I've also visited Westchester though not on a home search, mainly visiting friends. Been to Long Island too just not as frequent like we'll begin to do on the weekends.

I can't imagine spending the kind of money I'm talking about either without visiting which is why I will visit it. Not certain why you think I'll never visit an area I intend to purchase at. (??)

I do wonder, am I the only one that "asks a lot of questions about a lot of places here and in Rockland and Westchester" in a public forum that is intended for such? I do find it odd that it would be considered a negative thing to do especially since I've gained much insight in asking. (as others I'm sure) I doubt I'm the only one inquiring in this manner, as a matter a fact, I'm quite certain I'm not alone in posting threads questioning select neighborhoods on this forum if the entirety of the forum is any indication.

Last edited by RocklandorLongIsland; 08-07-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,376 times
I'm Latino and my wife is Italian. I've never encountered any weird vibes, I don't think you have to worry about that sort of thing here.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 PM

110 posts, read 225,868 times
IMHO, U probably will not be able to afford a house in RVC with that income.....Expand your search...Look in surrounding areas like baldwin, oceanside, or freeport....

Old 11-01-2009, 04:31 PM

11,641 posts, read 12,715,051 times
You should not encounter any problems in Rockville Centre because of your family's ethnicity. I would be happy to answer any other questions, if I can. When we were looking for our first home, we were also all over the map, Long Island, NU, Westchester. It is a hard decision.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 AM

964 posts, read 2,463,517 times
It's 2009 and we live in the NY tri-state area. This is generally a non-issue. You are both Latino and sound like decent hardworking people. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 AM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
120K is a tad tight for RVC, but it's do-able. You wont get fancy-schmancy RVC, And you may have to settle for the Toyota over the Lexus, but if you really fall in love with it, you can at least get your foot in the door and upgrade in the future.
RVC is ok. Decent schools. Middle of the road really, nothing amazing or spectacular, just a slightly above average community. You shouldn't have any problems with your skin color in RVC unless you crap out and end up living next to the town racist, but the chances are slim. I also believe RVC is bulletproof and wont change dramatically better/worse in the forseeable future, it will most likely remain status quo for eternity. I would avoid Oceanside as it is on the downward spiral, it is very similar in look/feel to RVC with high rated schools. Pockets of Baldwin are beautiful, some of Baldwin is crap. Schools are not so great. I'd hold off on Baldwin as well, I think the next 5-10 years will determine which way it goes. Same for Freeport, nice and not-so nice with not so good schools.
RVC would be your best bet of that area.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 AM

131 posts, read 610,465 times
It's a shame that we live in a world where someone still has to describe their color of their skin to see if another "human" will accept them. That being said, you should not have any issues anywhere. 10 years ago maybe but not anymore.
I think other families that will be your neighbors look at simple things, how you treat each other, how you treat your kids, do you take care of your house, are you responsible adults that can add value to the community. From Latin decent you offer a lot to a neighborhood, helping kids speak a 2nd language, teaching them your culture, your foods etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island