Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:29 AM

41 posts, read 121,649 times

Advertisements

I think what you guyss are failing to realize is that the noise and the air traffic was not like this before. Therefore, the arguments of people complaining because they bought their house in a flight track is has no merit. the FAA changed flight patterns. Crookhaven and Suffolk Guy would you sarcasm on getting pounded tonight change if flights began to go over your house? I thought so. Be careful of how you judge others as one day you will be judged the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADNY007 View Post
I think what you guyss are failing to realize is that the noise and the air traffic was not like this before. Therefore, the arguments of people complaining because they bought their house in a flight track is has no merit. the FAA changed flight patterns. Crookhaven and Suffolk Guy would you sarcasm on getting pounded tonight change if flights began to go over your house? I thought so. Be careful of how you judge others as one day you will be judged the same.
Have you read the 30 or so posts "samyn on the green" has been kind enough to provide? The approaches for JFK have been identical for 50 years, they didn't change anything. The only difference seems to be that the traffic has gotten more JAMMED UP!!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 AM

41 posts, read 121,649 times
Whatever Samyn says may be correct. However, I have lived in an area for 10 years and can tell you first hand that things have changed. If the post bothers people, don't read it.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 AM

577 posts, read 978,970 times
Quote:

I agree with you 100%. I also think we should utilize this forum as a way of organizing/putting a group together to fight this huge quality of life issue.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,641 times
Doesn't pretty much all of Nassau get pounded by jet noise? I lived in W. Hempstead until a couple of months ago and sometimes it was so loud I thought we were getting buzzed by a fighther jet. I literally ran out of my my house to make sure a 747 wasn't landing in the next street.

But the tradeoff was we were a 10 minute drive to JFK door-to-door. And anyway I like planes, my kids like planes. I used to try and catch a look at the daily Qantas flight at about 5:00PM with the big red kangaroo on the tail...No jet noise here in Raleigh!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:

If you dont like getting POUNDED, move.

You live on the fringe of the biggest City in the world.
What did you expect?

No judgment, just common sense.

As time goes on would a rational person anticipate more/less air and road traffic on LI? Didnt you consider that when you bought your home?
"Hmm Im marrying this for 30 years....what could the future have in store?"
C'mon now, this thread is ridiculous.

Nassau is Urban look at the map, and by the time I pay off my note, Suffolk will be as well.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/images/air_ima...hrpm25fig5.jpg
Deal with it. I accept the inevitability of my Fair Isle and I accept that I do not live in the country anymore(or really the suburbs for that matter, we're closer to Queens than we'd care to admit).

Perhaps we are a victim of our own success?

Who knows maybe this New Suburbia will be awesome? I have an open mind.
(Stamford and White Plains dont offend me, maybe we'll get some real jobs out here?)
We all seem to agree that were light on infrastructure.

We'll see, but by all means march on City Hall and fight like hell for your Time Machine.
Let us know how you make out.

Crooks

1. Denial"I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me."
    Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of situations and individuals that will be left behind after death.[1]
  2. Anger"Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; "Who is to blame?"
    Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to care for due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Any individual that symbolizes life or energy is subject to projected resentment and jealousy.[1]
  3. Bargaining"Just let me live to see my children graduate."; "I'll do anything for a few more years."; "I will give my life savings if..."
    The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay death. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. Psychologically, the person is saying, "I understand I will die, but if I could just have more time..."[1]
  4. Depression"I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die . . . What's the point?"; "I miss my loved one, why go on?"
    During the fourth stage, the dying person begins to understand the certainty of death. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the dying person to disconnect oneself from things of love and affection. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer an individual up that is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed.[1]
  5. Acceptance"It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
    This final stage comes with peace and understanding of the death that is approaching. Generally, the person in the fifth stage will want to be left alone. Additionally, feelings and physical pain may be non-existent. This stage has also been described as the end of the dying struggle.[1]

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-09-2009 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 02:43 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
I agree with the 2 posters above. John, you're renting, so you can easily move.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:06 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I agree with the 2 posters above. John, you're renting, so you can easily move.
I aint going anywhere over this. That admits defeat. Bottom line is if everybody moved when quality of life issues arose, alot of areas would be ghostowns. Sometimes we need to stand up and fight.
Of course my coping measure is keeping the windows closed.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,108 times
Default throwback chart

If there is any question about approaches to runway 22, here is a chart from 1951 showing the old style "range" approach to Runway 22 which has only changed by a few degrees in 58 years. The approach is the line depicted as heading 218 degrees over Rochdale, Vally Stream, Garden City, Westbury and Roslyn. Planes have been flying over these areas for over sixty years on their approach to JFK nee Idlewild and little has changed except for volume of traffic.
http://www.seaboardairlines.org/misc/chart1a.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-10-2009, 08:51 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,193 times
Samyn,

That flight path would be a Godsend. Unfortunately, I believe it was in the 70's that the VOR path above Garden City was opened. The 218 degree path here would be over western Floral Park and not affect Stewart Manor or GC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island