Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 06:54 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,747,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
The 70s were (almost) 40 years ago.

It still has its fair share of Drugs coming from the city.
(Where do you think the 3v kids go to cop?)

The other dirty secret about SUSB was that it was the Rape capitol of SUNY.

So yes on drugs and rapes but as far as a party school...its a snooze.

Crooks

SUSB in the early to mid 80s was at the tail end of the party years as the admin was cracking down. The 70's were the bigger drug years.

Where did you get the rape info from? It's something that unfortunately is a problem on all college campuses. One thing that stands out is a fair amount of on campus QOL crimes are commited by non students visiting the school. They take the train out from NYC to hang with their friends, party, and some take it a step further and commit crimes.

3V kids don't need to go onto SUNY campus to cop. That might have been the thing to do back when you were in the Ward, but with the change in drinking age, lack of kids partying on the weekends to connect with, local teens have other avenues to pursue. Not that I am happy that kids can score with ease, but the campus is harder for them to infilitrate.

Former President Kenny really worked her tail off improving SUSB on so many levels -- whether it be on campus beautification, sports programs, pushing research programs, improving the school's reputation in academic circles. The new president has big shoes to fill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 07:22 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,676,416 times
As a 14 - 16 year old I used to go to SB to visit my older brother on weekends. Used to hang out in the dorms, go bowling at the student center and eat rice pudding! I loved it. My brother was on concert committee so I got to see Zappa, Garcia, Bromberg, Santana, Weir .. great shows. Do they still put on concerts at SB?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:31 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,186,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
SUSB in the early to mid 80s was at the tail end of the party years as the admin was cracking down. The 70's were the bigger drug years.

Where did you get the rape info from? It's something that unfortunately is a problem on all college campuses. One thing that stands out is a fair amount of on campus QOL crimes are commited by non students visiting the school. They take the train out from NYC to hang with their friends, party, and some take it a step further and commit crimes.

3V kids don't need to go onto SUNY campus to cop. That might have been the thing to do back when you were in the Ward, but with the change in drinking age, lack of kids partying on the weekends to connect with, local teens have other avenues to pursue. Not that I am happy that kids can score with ease, but the campus is harder for them to infilitrate.

Former President Kenny really worked her tail off improving SUSB on so many levels -- whether it be on campus beautification, sports programs, pushing research programs, improving the school's reputation in academic circles. The new president has big shoes to fill.
We lived over by the P-Lot OBH.
There were numerous rapes there back in the day and few made the papers thanks to Newsday.

Youre right ...the drugs are worse in 3V than when I was at WMHS.
Weed and Mushrooms gave way to Meth and Heroin over the years.
Im hearing alot of bad stuff from my friends who stayed behind.
Especially among the wealthier kids.Im sure theyll get it under wraps.

I do agree Shirley did a great job, its a shame to see her go.

Peace

Crooks

Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
We lived over by the P-Lot OBH.
There were numerous rapes there back in the day and few made the papers thanks to Newsday.

Youre right ...the drugs are worse in 3V than when I was at WMHS.
Weed and Mushrooms gave way to Meth and Heroin over the years.
Im hearing alot of bad stuff from my friends who stayed behind.
Especially among the wealthier kids.Im sure theyll get it under wraps.

I do agree Shirley did a great job, its a shame to see her go.

Peace

Crooks
There was a murder on campus in the woods right before Fall 85 semester. Turns out it was local kids, not SUNY students. Rapes were heard of back then, but it wasn't made out to be a big thing like you're making it out to be. SUNY Albany (I transferred from there to SUSB) has a worse track record during that period of time. Now that there is a greater awareness concerning date rape, and more girls are coming forward, stats will rise.

You're forgetting 1 important thing concerning drugs-- H has become cheap. Kids from all over can afford it -- like the girl from Plainedge a year ago. During my oldest's current stay at the Ward, no ODs. However way back when (late 80's) a guy I dated from Old Field ODd on it. It's only a matter of time before we do see kids from WMHS out to RPHS succumbing to H. As far as burying it, the folks in PJV did a pretty good job keeping their ODs under wraps. The first (and only)person I ever knew
who OD'd was an adult male from Mastic. This was 20 years ago. He had a wife and 3 daughters.

Going back to oldest child, I hear a good amount as to what goes on over there. Weed and drinking are still the mainstay of teen use; some 'friends' have used E. Oldest hangs with the brainacs; they're too busy competing amongest one another for grades, too busy with the college apps. We've been very involved parents, know his friends, their families, and his whereabouts when he is not home. Hopefully this has helped him make better decisions.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:38 PM

22,205 posts, read 19,494,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
As a 14 - 16 year old I used to go to SB to visit my older brother on weekends. Used to hang out in the dorms, go bowling at the student center and eat rice pudding! I loved it. My brother was on concert committee so I got to see Zappa, Garcia, Bromberg, Santana, Weir .. great shows. Do they still put on concerts at SB?
Not sure about the last few years, but while I was there 00-04 there were some, obviously different genre. Kanye West performed there late in my senior year (spring 04) Jadakiss was suppose to perform there in Fall of 01, but never showed, instead we got stuck with Benzino who we booed off the stage. Have had numerous events with various DJ's spinning (Funk Flex was there twice when I was at Stony Brook). Dave Chapelle also came and performed there (during the height of his popularity in the fall of 03.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,186,245 times
Quote:
There was a murder on campus in the woods right before Fall 85 semester. Turns out it was local kids, not SUNY students. Rapes were heard of back then, but it wasn't made out to be a big thing like you're making it out to be. SUNY Albany (I transferred from there to SUSB) has a worse track record during that period of time. Now that there is a greater awareness concerning date rape, and more girls are coming forward, stats will rise.

You're forgetting 1 important thing concerning drugs-- H has become cheap. Kids from all over can afford it -- like the girl from Plainedge a year ago. During my oldest's current stay at the Ward, no ODs. However way back when (late 80's) a guy I dated from Old Field ODd on it. It's only a matter of time before we do see kids from WMHS out to RPHS succumbing to H. As far as burying it, the folks in PJV did a pretty good job keeping their ODs under wraps. The first (and only)person I ever knew
who OD'd was an adult male from Mastic. This was 20 years ago. He had a wife and 3 daughters.

Going back to oldest child, I hear a good amount as to what goes on over there. Weed and drinking are still the mainstay of teen use; some 'friends' have used E. Oldest hangs with the brainacs; they're too busy competing amongest one another for grades, too busy with the college apps. We've been very involved parents, know his friends, their families, and his whereabouts when he is not home. Hopefully this has helped him make better decisions.
Hi OBH

With all due respect, you know I was there in the 80s and my wife is alumni.

If its better now then Im glad thats not the case anymore because I love Stony Brook.

If theres one thing that SUSB is great at its PR and damage control.
We were always grateful as neighbors and property owners that they didnt air out their dirty laundry, but we
were always aware that we were living in its shadow and its possible dangers.

Best

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-02-2009 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-02-2009, 07:44 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,052,400 times
I went to SB during the early to mid 90's, and returned in the early 2000's for some grad work. The esthetic of the campus improved by leaps and bounds. Grass in the academic mall, 10 times more places to sit down and eat your lunch like a human being (we'd sit on the concrete over by Javits..now they actually have metal picnic tables), the hideous concrete monstrosity known as "the bridge" torn down and gone forever. Nothing like walking under that thing to stay out of the rain, and having filthy water drip down on your head anyway.

Newer desks to study at the library to study at, more food options. What's amazing though is that the student union has barely been touched..they built the activities center, but that isn't really a union. The SB union needs an update, and then the campus will be acceptable. The wang center is nice, but it's basically a food court and museum.

As for the self-segregation, it was like that when I went there, and it appears that is still is. You have about 5% of the people who will reach across the aisle, so to speak..and people aren't outwardly hostile to each other, but they definitely keep to their own kind for the most part, along racial and ethnic lines.

The thing about Stony Brook is this: your kid had better be self motivated. Nobody is going to go out of their way to help you with counseling either on your academic programs or post-graduation life. It's not like going to a private school where you have scheduled meetings with advisers every semester...when I went to SB, I saw a counselor once, and it was on my initiative. My entire academic course was charted out using the handbooks, and it led to mistakes and some serious time wasted.

So, if your kid is a dead-head in high school who cruised through because it was easy and he/she could get by on test taking or smarts..SB can be a dangerous place to send them. (I guess I'm projecting myself here... )

Old 11-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Hi OBH

With all due respect, you know I was there in the 80s and my wife is alumni.

If its better now then Im glad thats not the case anymore because I love Stony Brook.

If theres one thing that SUSB is great at its PR and damage control.
We were always grateful as neighbors and property owners that they didnt air out their dirty laundry, but we
were always aware that we were living in its shadow and its possible dangers.

Best

Crooks
With due respect to your due respect

I was living on campus in the early 80's while you were still negotiating the halls at WM, perhaps even RCM. (OK, I'm an old lady LOL) My husband's family has lived in the neighborhood immediately behind Tabler from the 60's well into the 90's and a fair number of my friends are alumni and alumna, as well as immediate neighbors.

DH had friends who were campus safety, and heard an awful lot of accounts from them. Books could be written -- drugs, drinking, stupid behavior -- things which are not exclusive to SUSB by any means.

I could tell you stories about drug use in the dorms, in my case - Kelly Quad. Pot, hash, shrooms, LSD, and coke were the most popular. Not that any dorms were immune from it, but the UN (the nickname for Stage back then) would have been least susceptible as it had the greatest concentration of serious-minded, foreign students. G&H were party central back then. 'Back then' being the operative words as things have changed in the years since I've been off campus.

I returned as an adult student in the late 90's. Things were much different than they were in the early-mid 80's. The change in drinking age has impacted the way students do/don't party on campus. Dorm security was non existent in my earlier time on campus, but was fully implemented the second time around. Walkways are much better lit, there is an increase in campus police cruising the area. Street entries are closed after a certain time at night, allowing visitors to enter through one point, not three points like we once had.

As with any self contained 'city' it is not without problems, but the school is doing it's best to keep problems to a minimum. There's only so much that they can do, the rest is up to the students and their capacity to exercise common sense.

My own experience as a teenage female on campus was unremarkable. I knew to be careful not to wind up in empty, dark places, to utilize the volunteers who would walk you to your car/dorm/class after dark, not to get drunk beyond belief, never to let one's cup leave their hand -- and if it did, to get a new one. Common sense thing which apply to women everywhere -- not just on campus.

Yes, all big institutions have great damage control, but all you have to do is walk into a local shop and pick up a copy of the Statesman to have a much better idea as to what is happening on campus. Better still, the campus police have a crime statistics and reports page. Here's 2007, the most recent year available:
On campus:
http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/Admin/HRSForms.nsf/pub/UPDD0013/$FILE/UPDD0013.pdf

Off campus:
http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/Admin/HRSForms.nsf/pub/UPDD0016/$FILE/UPDD0016.pdf

My oldest has applied to SUSB, among other schools. I have no issue with him being on campus whatsoever, if he is accepted and opts to go there.

Getting back on topic, to the OP:

Your child can do well at SUSB, provided he has a good head on his shoulder, exercises some common sense if he lives on campus, and has a good idea as to the direction he wishes to take. The school has a huge student population, many of whom are eager to be the top and will be fiercely competitive. There are also the students who are there, flounder and then drop out.

Best of luck to him and his decision.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I went to SB during the early to mid 90's, and returned in the early 2000's for some grad work. The esthetic of the campus improved by leaps and bounds. Grass in the academic mall, 10 times more places to sit down and eat your lunch like a human being (we'd sit on the concrete over by Javits..now they actually have metal picnic tables), the hideous concrete monstrosity known as "the bridge" torn down and gone forever. Nothing like walking under that thing to stay out of the rain, and having filthy water drip down on your head anyway.

Newer desks to study at the library to study at, more food options. What's amazing though is that the student union has barely been touched..they built the activities center, but that isn't really a union. The SB union needs an update, and then the campus will be acceptable. The wang center is nice, but it's basically a food court and museum.

As for the self-segregation, it was like that when I went there, and it appears that is still is. You have about 5% of the people who will reach across the aisle, so to speak..and people aren't outwardly hostile to each other, but they definitely keep to their own kind for the most part, along racial and ethnic lines.

The thing about Stony Brook is this: your kid had better be self motivated. Nobody is going to go out of their way to help you with counseling either on your academic programs or post-graduation life. It's not like going to a private school where you have scheduled meetings with advisers every semester...when I went to SB, I saw a counselor once, and it was on my initiative. My entire academic course was charted out using the handbooks, and it led to mistakes and some serious time wasted.

So, if your kid is a dead-head in high school who cruised through because it was easy and he/she could get by on test taking or smarts..SB can be a dangerous place to send them. (I guess I'm projecting myself here... )
Aw, c'mon...the Union isn't the same without the bridge to nowhere!

Your assessment of the Union couldn't be any better. It's the building which time forgot. Given that the Staller center is right there, it is a shame that it wasn't utilized as an accessory structure to Staller. My bet is that when another gymnasium project commences, or when the hotel is built on campus (coming soon, wheels are turning as we type) the Union will then fit into the plan. As it is, it is depressing driving past the Union toward the main entrance and a fortress-like series of walls which compromise one of the Wang center's facades. Once the hotel is built,
the entrance will look even more urban.

Campus has changed so much since the first day I set foot on it. Much more user friendly, aesthetically pleasing, but at the same time being built out into areas which were once woods. Have you seen all the new dorm construction over by Kelly/Roosevelt?

The school is becoming more desirable as the economic climate remains abysmal; last year 27,000 students applied and less than 3,000 were accepted.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:06 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,052,400 times
Quote:
Aw, c'mon...the Union isn't the same without the bridge to nowhere!

Your assessment of the Union couldn't be any better. It's the building which time forgot. Given that the Staller center is right there, it is a shame that it wasn't utilized as an accessory structure to Staller. My bet is that when another gymnasium project commences, or when the hotel is built on campus (coming soon, wheels are turning as we type) the Union will then fit into the plan. As it is, it is depressing driving past the Union toward the main entrance and a fortress-like series of walls which compromise one of the Wang center's facades. Once the hotel is built,
the entrance will look even more urban.

Campus has changed so much since the first day I set foot on it. Much more user friendly, aesthetically pleasing, but at the same time being built out into areas which were once woods. Have you seen all the new dorm construction over by Kelly/Roosevelt?

The school is becoming more desirable as the economic climate remains abysmal; last year 27,000 students applied and less than 3,000 were accepted.
I've heard about the amount of applicants....a lot of people who might have gone to Hostra or Post are probably applying there now. I didn't even submit an essay and I got in..and my grades weren't stellar, although my SAT and ACT were good. The mentality about it back in the late 80's when I was in High School was that it was Suffolk CC North, but I ran into many foreign exchange students who came a long way to go to Suffolk CC North.

You're right about that Center Drive deal..it's ugly to anyone coming for a visit, although have you ever seen SUNY Purchase? That's like the guy who designed Stony Brook had a bad day. Inhospitable to human life.

Have you ever been to say, the Georgia University in Athens? I took a walk around that campus once on a Sunday morning. Talk about the opposite of Stony Brook.

Anyway, the NY State school system is excellent, it's just important that a young person have some sense of direction before getting swallowed up by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island