Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 12:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
If public education cannot produce results, they should not be in business. Did you not watch the video? Attach the money to the child and we will see results. Many of these private schools offer scholarships and financial aid.

That guy wants to send his daughter to the best school - well there are the schools right there. Stuyvesant and Hunter College HS are public schools on that list. Regis High School is free.
They are selective admission public schools that you have to take an entrance exam to get into. Are you going to stop lying anytime soon?

Long Island public schools DO produce results for the most part..even a mediocre school by LI standards (Sachem, for instance) is in the upper tier nationally....you want to try to say they don't cut it by comparing them to schools that can take the top 10% of students in an area. How the hell does that make any sense?

I guess if it fits your agenda....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 12:50 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,665,649 times
Quote:
Only two are Ivy League but they are all elite schools.

Here's a list for Harvard / Yale / Princeton:

http://www.auap.com/prepschoolclass.html (broken link)

Entrance to those HS does not buy a ticket to those colleges but the chances are much much much much much higher.
I agree. What most of the posters here are neglecting is the influence a well-connected guidance counselor has on increasing/decreasing your childs probability of getting into an ivy.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They are selective admission public schools that you have to take an entrance exam to get into. Are you going to stop lying anytime soon?

Long Island public schools DO produce results for the most part..even a mediocre school by LI standards (Sachem, for instance) is in the upper tier nationally....you want to try to say they don't cut it by comparing them to schools that can take the top 10% of students in an area. How the hell does that make any sense?

I guess if it fits your agenda....
So what about the exam? Anyone in NYC can take the exam. You don't have to pay anything.

The guy obviously wants his daughter to go to an elite college. The colleges in my list send the highest percentage of their grads to these colleges. Therefore it would be in his best interest to try to send his daughter to one of these schools, instead of a LI Zoned school. LI schools do produce results, but all of them? No - the ones that don't - should be shut down.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
So what about the exam? Anyone in NYC can take the exam. You don't have to pay anything.

The guy obviously wants his daughter to go to an elite college. The colleges in my list send the highest percentage of their grads to these colleges. Therefore it would be in his best interest to try to send his daughter to one of these schools, instead of a LI Zoned school. LI schools do produce results, but all of them? No - the ones that don't - should be shut down.
I'll try it one more time:

PUBLIC SCHOOLS ON LI TEACH KIDS IF THEY LIVE IN A CERTAIN GEOGRAPHIC BOUNDARY NO MATTER WHAT THEIR IQ/LEARNING DISABILITY/ETC

To compare the performance of public specialty schools that select only the best students to open enrollment public schools on LI is MORONIC. Get it yet?

Good thing we don't have people like you deciding what we should do with our school system. We have some of the best public schools in the country here..we should be the example to the rest of the country.

Let's shut down a good school system because Sachem High School doesn't compare to Stuyvesant High in NYC...a specialty math and science school that accepts 3,000 students from a field of 26,000.

Are you done yet? You should stick to analyzing whatever you analyze, not discussions on education.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:27 PM

264 posts, read 878,477 times
So basically, Newsweek doesn't have a good ranking system..I haven't found an adequate system yet. I'm not sure one actually exists.

Some base it off percentage of students going to college, some base it off of percentage of students doing well on the school's standardized tests.

U.S News seems to have things done well but the problem is that only an incredibly small percentage of high schools are on the list- they let you know which ones are the BEST but they don't mention any of the others.. Newsweek does a little better in this respect but their terminology is flawed...the SAT ranking system doesn't work because not everyone takes the SATs... it almost seems the most accurate rankings is the Newsday Rankings..

They put schools which send a lot of people to Ivies/Top schools such as Ward Melville, Mt. Sinai, and Mepham at the top.. while they are all brought down in Newsday for their low #of APs per student ratio.

It almost seems the best way to find a good area/good school district is to not rely on data at all.. just ask around, visit places, and see which place seems to be the best fit. That's, at least, how we decided to live in Syosset- even though there were some affordable houses in Jericho.

Also not everyone who graduates from a top school is making a 6-figure salary right out of college, a lot of it matters by what sort of job you choose to do.. I'm making $75K/year now but if I play my cards right, that should go up to six figures within the next 5-6 years...

Last edited by CoolaTroopa; 11-11-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolaTroopa View Post
So basically, Newsweek doesn't have a good ranking system..I haven't found an adequate system yet. I'm not sure one actually exists.

Some base it off percentage of students going to college, some base it off

U.S News seems to have things done well but the problem is that only an incredibly small percentage of high schools are on the list- they let you know which ones are the BEST but they don't mention any of the others.. Newsweek does a little better in this respect but their terminology is flawed...the SAT ranking system doesn't work because not everyone takes the SATs... it almost seems the most accurate rankings is the Newsday Rankings..

They put schools which send a lot of people to Ivies/Top schools such as Ward Melville, Mt. Sinai, and Mepham at the top.. while they are all brought down in Newsday for their low #of APs per student ratio.

Any ranking system that compares schools with selective admissions to open enrollment public schools isn't even worth a second mention. Let's at least agree to start there.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:35 PM

264 posts, read 878,477 times
Quote:
Any ranking system that compares schools with selective admissions to open enrollment public schools isn't even worth a second mention. Let's at least agree to start there.
Definitely. The two kinds don't even compare.. this makes Newsweek and U.S News not very good ranking systems since they both suffer from that problem...Newsweek has a list of 'elite publics' but they still have a lot of selective schools on there...

Old 11-11-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Definitely. The two kinds don't even compare.. this makes Newsweek and U.S News not very good ranking systems since they both suffer from that problem...Newsweek has a list of 'elite publics' but they still have a lot of selective schools on there...
Considering how well LI schools do with open enrollment, imagine what a Suffolk and a Nassau Charter School would look like..with the top 5% of students or something?

The people who keep citing these kind of lists to bash LI public schools are deranged.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:48 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:

Some base it off percentage of students going to college, some base it off of percentage of students doing well on the school's standardized tests.

It almost seems the best way to find a good area/good school district is to not rely on data at all.. just ask around, visit places, and see which place seems to be the best fit. That's, at least, how we decided to live in Syosset- even though there were some affordable houses in Jericho.

Also not everyone who graduates from a top school is making a 6-figure salary right out of college, a lot of it matters by what sort of job you choose to do.. I'm making $75K/year now but if I play my cards right, that should go up to six figures within the next 5-6 years...
Mepham doesn't send a lot to ivies. Kennedy sends a lot more a) b/c the parents have more $$ and b) it's the best school in the district.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:07 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times
Quote:
I'll try it one more time:

PUBLIC SCHOOLS ON LI TEACH KIDS IF THEY LIVE IN A CERTAIN GEOGRAPHIC BOUNDARY NO MATTER WHAT THEIR IQ/LEARNING DISABILITY/ETC

To compare the performance of public specialty schools that select only the best students to open enrollment public schools on LI is MORONIC. Get it yet?

Good thing we don't have people like you deciding what we should do with our school system. We have some of the best public schools in the country here..we should be the example to the rest of the country.

Let's shut down a good school system because Sachem High School doesn't compare to Stuyvesant High in NYC...a specialty math and science school that accepts 3,000 students from a field of 26,000.

Are you done yet? You should stick to analyzing whatever you analyze, not discussions on education.
Not all open enrollment public schools in LI are up to New York State standards.

If I want to send my child to the best school there is, why would I send them to a LI Public if there are better schools for my child in Manhattan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island