Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 23,894 times

Advertisements

I would like to know out of these schools what are the best one:
Chaminade High School
Holy Trinity Diocesan High School
Kellenberg Memorial High School
St. Mary's College Preparatory High School
St. Dominic's High School
Sacred Heart Academy
St. Anthony's High School
Please include your experience someone elses experience. Both positive and negative.
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 04:52 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...c-schools.html may be of some help to you.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:17 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,703 times
Chaminade is the best Boys high school by far.

Sacred Heart Academy is the best girls school (but I may be biased as I graduated from there. It was the best/highest rated when I went there in the late 1990's.)

I believe Kellenberg is the best co-ed.

Holy Trinity is middle of the road and St. Mary's always ranked near the bottom as a catch-all school. It is not bad, but not as good as the others.

I am not too familiar with St. Anthony's and St. Dominic's so I really can't give my opinion on them.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with Catholic education

Old 10-03-2010, 07:01 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
St. A's is tops for suffolk IMHO, but their tuition has taken off. They are trying to make it a more explusive enviroment and be known for athletics as well as academics now. Saddening, because the message for my 4 years there was repeated over and over again: "Your here to learn, not play sports".

Its a statement when a good number of the class are accepted to the military academies.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:33 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
I'm wondering about the "entrance exams" to the Catholic high schools on LI. My child will be going to public high school but I have a friend and her child will be going to Catholic HS. Her child has issues with reading and math but is being "pushed through" the Catholic school she is currently in.

I've told my friend that she should get her child some kind of tutoring since this kid is way behind, but she's shrugged it off since the school she's in isn't making an issue out of it (and why would they? They don't provide tutoring and they certainly don't want to lose a monthly tuition check).

What if her child does poorly on the entrance exam? Would they still be permitted to a Catholic HS? Or would they only get accepted to a "bottom of the barrel/take anyone so long as they're paying" school?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 PM

55 posts, read 176,951 times
Chaminade High School

Old 10-03-2010, 09:30 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartiex97 View Post
I would like to know out of these schools what are the best one:
Chaminade High School
Holy Trinity Diocesan High School
Kellenberg Memorial High School
St. Mary's College Preparatory High School
St. Dominic's High School
Sacred Heart Academy
St. Anthony's High School
Please include your experience someone elses experience. Both positive and negative.
Thank you in advance!
You didn't include St. John the Baptist HS in West Islip - any particular reason?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I'm wondering about the "entrance exams" to the Catholic high schools on LI. My child will be going to public high school but I have a friend and her child will be going to Catholic HS. Her child has issues with reading and math but is being "pushed through" the Catholic school she is currently in.

I've told my friend that she should get her child some kind of tutoring since this kid is way behind, but she's shrugged it off since the school she's in isn't making an issue out of it (and why would they? They don't provide tutoring and they certainly don't want to lose a monthly tuition check).

What if her child does poorly on the entrance exam? Would they still be permitted to a Catholic HS? Or would they only get accepted to a "bottom of the barrel/take anyone so long as they're paying" school?

If they have issues with performance the choices are limited, they will probably not get into Chaminade or Kellenberg, Sacred Heart. I am sure they could get into St Mary's but that's a lot of tuition to pay for basic education.

Many of Catholic Elementary Schools (1-8) don't have the services and attention that public schools have for learning disabilities. If you have a child that has issues they tend to move them along; you would be better off in publics school but it sounds like that is too late for your friends child.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

She'll get in somewhere, since it's bad form to take tuition for 9 years and then not let them into Catholic HS - but unless she has a legacy at one of the better schools, she won't get in there.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:39 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I believe Kellenberg is the best co-ed.
it's not.

St. A's by a mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island