Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:41 AM

231 posts, read 961,685 times

Advertisements

How is the longer amount of time it takes for a house to close effecting prices/comps? I'm seeing alot of houses that went into contract in May/June closing in the last few weeks. It seems most houses are taking around 5 months to close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:28 AM

20,176 posts, read 20,953,859 times
I'm an MLS junkie. I'm on there constantly.
I have definitely noticed an increase in asking prices over the past few months in many communities, including my own, which is all I really care about to be honest.
The sign is going on my lawn real soon.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 AM

65 posts, read 161,895 times
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but from what I hear it's actually supposed to drop another 11%.
[SIZE=2]Homes: About to get much cheaper - Oct. 20, 2009[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 AM

231 posts, read 961,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm an MLS junkie. I'm on there constantly.
I have definitely noticed an increase in asking prices over the past few months in many communities, including my own, which is all I really care about to be honest.
The sign is going on my lawn real soon.
I'm also a MLS junkie - I'm on a few times a day. I haven't seen an increase in prices (I am looking in Western Suffolk on the north shore, not sure where you are located) I remember seeing a price drop around October of 2008 and the prices remaining pretty constant for the last year. That is what has surprised me. Listing prices went up in the Spring. A lot of those listings have closed in the last month, and the final pruchase prices have been significantly lower than asking. There seems to be a pretty simple formula for houses listed at 499k. Buyer offers 450k - seller counters at 475k and you settle between 464k and 469k. I've seen those numbers pop up a half dozen times in the last month on houses that I have tracked.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 AM

Not through the roof or anything drastic, just a gradual slight increase over the past 6-8 months. Asking prices, doesn't mean they're selling or what they actually sold for.
But, stock is moving by me. I'm looking to sell real soon, so I've been watching the market like a vulture, and like I said, I could give a hoot about anywhere else but where I'm at. I've heard that some people of "stature" in the community put the arm on the RE brokers in an effort to lessen the amount of sub-par residents coming in.
How true this is, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:34 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,041,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I've heard that some people of "stature" in the community put the arm on the RE brokers in an effort to lessen the amount of sub-par residents coming in.
How true this is, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.
This is very interesting as I was thinking about this recently.

Considering home sales nationally in all price points, 4% is basically within a statistical error range. Seriously, I don't care what gets printed by who, IMO there's no way that prices are going "up" in the foreseeable future. People are struggling all over just to stay afloat.

So I was wondering what people would do to "keep out the bad elements"... sub par, minority, whatever you want to call it. Most specifically slum lords buying depressed property with the intention to rent it out. At some point, certain areas are going to get crushed bad enough that the price decreases are actually going to begin to change the make-up of the district. I'm talking areas where they care that certain "groups" make-up 90%+ of the student enrollment - I think you get my meaning. I'm not talking the creme areas, more about those middle areas. This could be in danger of snowballing - unless of course people are "strong armed" to sell to only the "right" person.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is very interesting as I was thinking about this recently.

Considering home sales nationally in all price points, 4% is basically within a statistical error range. Seriously, I don't care what gets printed by who, IMO there's no way that prices are going "up" in the foreseeable future. People are struggling all over just to stay afloat.

So I was wondering what people would do to "keep out the bad elements"... sub par, minority, whatever you want to call it. Most specifically slum lords buying depressed property with the intention to rent it out. At some point, certain areas are going to get crushed bad enough that the price decreases are actually going to begin to change the make-up of the district. I'm talking areas where they care that certain "groups" make-up 90%+ of the student enrollment - I think you get my meaning. I'm not talking the creme areas, more about those middle areas. This could be in danger of snowballing - unless of course people are "strong armed" to sell to only the "right" person.
Well, from what I've heard, it wasn't a skin color issue only, it was just anyone who didn't meet certain status requirements. Although, I'm sure the race card is in play to a certain degree as well.
The lowered housing prices have allowed people who before could never buy in a certain community the opportunity to do so now.
Which for the most part, are probabally decent people who are truly looking for a nice place to live and now have the chance to take advantage of somewhat affordable housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island