Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:18 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I am not struggling by any means (knock on wood), but I want out !! its a reality, and thank God there are lots of folks who still don't get it.... I need to get a head start on the train out of LI

Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way to the station.
LI would be paradise with a few less people.
JK
; )

We get it. Keep in mind I said most...not all unhappy people are struggling.

This is probably my biggest beef on LI. We're a victim of our own success.
People flock here because it IS a great place to live.Then theyre surprised by the traffic and cost due to supply, demand, proximity to high paying jobs, beaches and the greatest city in the world.

Albeit the contrarian view (and having spent time abroad) I think LI is worth every penny and then some. I understand I live in an area that is Urban in density, I understand the basic tenets of capitalism and I accept all that comes with it.

LI is a unique place to live. Its a shame many are struggling (and fleeing).This used to be a working mans Island.Where working people lived within their means.Shame on us for getting caught up in our own greed and the narcissism of "bigger better more".

I know theres still a few good towns left where people live in smaller homes, mow their own lawns, play in the street and define a good year by being able to drive their kids to Disneyworld ...and theyre very, very happy.

I encourage you all find your happy place. Perhaps its here...perhaps its not.

I love LI.

Peace,

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 02-28-2010 at 07:38 AM..

Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way to the station.
LI would be paradise with a few less people.
JK
; )

We get it. Keep in mind I said most...not all unhappy people are struggling.

This is probably my biggest beef on LI. We're a victim of our own success.
People flock here because it IS a great place to live.Then theyre surprised by the traffic and cost due to supply, demand, proximity to high paying jobs, beaches and the greatest city in the world.

Albeit the contrarian view (and having spent time abroad) I think LI is worth every penny and then some. I understand I live in an area that is Urban in density, I understand the basic tenets of capitalism and I accept all that comes with it.

LI is a unique place to live. Its a shame many are struggling (and fleeing).This used to be a working mans Island.Where working people lived within their means.Shame on us for getting caught up in our own greed and the narcissism of "bigger better more".

I know theres still a few good towns left where people live in smaller homes, mow their own lawns, play in the street and define a good year by being able to drive their kids to Disneyworld ...and theyre very, very happy.

I encourage you all find your happy place. Perhaps its here...perhaps its not.

I love LI.

Peace,

Crooks
Wait, don't slam the door yet, I'll be leaving on my terms !!,
Also, Don't you know that these days you can hire a guy to hold the door when you leave ??
Looks like LI has changed a lot from when you knew it, JK !!

You can find everything you mentioned outside of LI, Oh, what am I saying.... no your are right, this IS paradise, please stay put.

Last edited by zulu400; 02-28-2010 at 12:10 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Wait, don't slam the door yet, I'll be leaving on my terms !!,
Also, Don't you know that these days you can hire a guy to hold the door when you leave ??
Looks like LI has changed a lot from when you knew it, JK !!

You can find everything you mentioned outside of LI, Oh, what am I saying.... no your are right, this IS paradise, please stay put.
I guess.... if your defintion of the greatest city in the world is something like Charlotte.

Indeed it has changed is some areas...not all.

I never said it was paradise(thats an inside job).
Its just a great place to live.

"After you Sir".

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 02-28-2010 at 12:21 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 12:26 PM

20,064 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Other than shopping and over crowded beaches(yes, some of the best in the world) what does LI have to offer? Really?
I'd like to see a punch list.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Other than shopping and over crowded beaches(yes, some of the best in the world) what does LI have to offer? Really?
Sarcasm.

Sarcasm and Pizza.

Other than that it sucks.
Dont let the door hit you in the ass either.

Theres plenty on this board.Go see.

Crooks

Old 02-28-2010, 04:07 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Ditto... Slim pickins Nightlife, No affordable housing, Difficult to travel to the 'downtown' (which in this case is manhattan), Mediocre Art & Theater scenes. Uninspiring architecture.

I'll add to the plus list- some of the better hospitals/doctors this country has to offer. Something we seldom really need, but great when it is there.

If I had to pick between Orange County, CA with LA as a short drive (cost maybe $3 avg in parking) vs. Nassau County, NY with Manhattan as a gruding drive ($30+ for tolls and avg parking). I'm not sure LI could match up punch for punch with the nations 2nd biggest suburb set.

Manhattan really drains all the best stuff that could appear on Long Island, and close enough as the bird flys- it really is a pain in the ass to get into.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 PM

280 posts, read 604,090 times
I too am happy on the island! The key to my enjoyment is sticking to what I love, and putting up with the rest, which I consider - normal life.

The joy comes from visiting such places as the Planting Fields Arboretum, the Robert Moses Beach and the lighthouse, the Heckscher park in Huntington, the St. James General Store in St. James, the Vanderbilt Museum and Planetarium, strolling through Sayville, Stony Brook, Port Jefferson, Oyster Bay, the list goes on. These do not cost much, and I get to meet lots of friendly and interesting people everytime I venture out :-))) Make a list of your favorite spots, check the websites regularly for special events, and drive around the island a lot to discover new areas!

The worst thing one can do, is to sit around and complain what an awful place this is. LI is awesome! The next time someone cuts you off, let another car in. And for all your culture needs, NYC is only an hour or so away...

Old 02-28-2010, 05:06 PM

58 posts, read 165,261 times
Well I left LI in 1993 and made the move to FL. I love it down here as much as I love my LI, but the big difference here in FL is the weather, all year around boating and how clean everything is. I remember when we moved from the Bronx out to LI same feeling and that was in 1968. LI has changed alot since the 60's & 70's to now and not that it's for the worse but like anyplace that is new from the city it fills up quick.

LI was nothing but potatoe farms & peach farms, sod farms and ducks. My wife hates FL has been wanting to go home since we got here. I started my own buisness down here and did real well, but if I had to work for a company I would have come home along time ago. Now that the economy is in the *****er we have been thinking of comming back. But I come up at least 3 times a year and I cant believe the prices for these run down old houses and forget the taxes.

I think I will stay in FL my sisters are always crying to me about the cost of living up there. They all have to have 2 incomes just to survive, all their income goes to bills each month with little to nothing left to live on. I will always be a New Yorker it's where were from but to move back and suffer my way thru life is not what I would call living.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:29 PM

58 posts, read 165,261 times
Here is what FL is all about for me !!
Attached Thumbnails
Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggling)..-picture-403.jpg  

Old 02-28-2010, 05:59 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
The next time someone cuts you off, let another car in.
Hi there, you sound like a very interesting person and I'm sure you would enjoy life here regardless of if you could afford or not. We need more people like you on LI, which will never happen, unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, NYC is the greatest city and I am not disputing that, you can take it from a person who has visited the city about 6 times in the past couple of years !!

Coming back to the gist of the thread, I am just saying that its not a general rule that you have to be struggling to hate it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island