Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,223,175 times

Advertisements

Either that or theyve never lived anywhere else.

It's ok to go guys...really.

Peace

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-24-2009 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,968,011 times
Wow what a novel concept If you can't afford or are struggling to get by, you might not like your current situation and complain about it. Did you stay up all night to figure this out?

+ 1 buddy

Old 11-24-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Wow what a novel concept If you can't afford or are struggling to get by, you might not like your current situation and complain about it. Did you stay up all night to figure this out?

+ 1 buddy

Im not so sure why that took so long to occur to me.

I actually was buying the BS on the board, but I think it really may be that simple.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 11-24-2009 at 08:07 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 AM

748 posts, read 2,896,050 times
I am not sure what you mean by "afford". If I have my own private helicopter and live in Llyod Harbor, does that mean I can afford it? Or is it just people making over 200k a year. Even people who make 200k here have to deal with the traffic and congestion.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 AM

20,323 posts, read 21,128,636 times
That's me. I cannot tell a lie.
Struggling...conscious and subconscious need to complain...
However, that is only part of my misery.
The money thing is a large part no doubt, but I admit I am one of those "LI aint what it used to be" complainers as well. Misery loves company. You would think I'm in my 40's or 50's, but I'm actually still considered a youngin' by most.
In the big picture, I probabally have no right to complain because I do own my house, I am not in forclosure, and somehow I am making it here.
I think it's more of a quality of life thing for me, I'm just not happy with how things are, and it's just my own personal feelings. I know many people enjoy and thrive on the hustle and bustle, congested jet-set lifestyle.
It's just not for me. I'm a country boy. From Nassau County.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I am not sure what you mean by "afford". If I have my own private helicopter and live in Llyod Harbor, does that mean I can afford it? Or is it just people making over 200k a year. Even people who make 200k here have to deal with the traffic and congestion.

Try SoCal or DC.

Sorry but it sounds like more sourgrapes from the underclass(of which I am a part).I dont think Id be complaining as much if I wasnt worried about my next mortgage payment or sitting in traffic to get to my waterfront estate.

Maybe Im wrong, money cant buy happiness but it can buy some peace of mind.

Average LIers are freaking the F out right now because LI is losing its affordability, are being left in the past, and we know it.
This is a wealthy Island folks...never lose sight of it.

JMHO

Crooks

Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 AM

6,390 posts, read 13,209,640 times
I disagree Crooks. My situaiton is a little different having grown up in a rural town outside LI. Being raised where houses are on acre plots, all the mountains & streams you could want... its what Im used to. Just like how everyone here is used to the ocean, Im used to crystal clear lakes. I dont hate LI, but having lived elswhere the taxes and c.o.l. just doesnt tickle my fancy. And yes I can afford it here.
And from Ive seen over the last 8 years being here it seems like no one likes it here when they retire. Every single person in my company has moved off LI when they retire. So that always brings the question..why should I stay here now when I will be moving when Im 55-56?

Ahhh....and lets not talk about getting off or around the Island!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,728,044 times
Anyone who thinks Long Island is a wonderful place to live, whether they can afford it or not, are either sailing up the river of delusion or just aren't well travelled.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 AM

964 posts, read 2,468,709 times
I think affordability is the number 1 factor, no doubt. That means house prices and taxes. However, high on the list for others is:

1. Traffic
2. Access to other points west of here.
3. Population density
4. What is generally perceived as a "me first" culture where rudeness prevails. Self interest and the accumulation of wealth are dominant here and you don't see a lot of selflessness, empathy, and kindness to others. To be fair, this is indicative of the whole NY metro region.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:30 AM

186 posts, read 736,205 times
I don't agree with you!
I have lived and visited all over (Virginia, NJ, Maryland, Dallas, San Jose, Seattle etc) and I really don't think this place (LI) is really worth all the money one would have to spend to find a decent place to live. All construction is years and years old and one still has to pay a fortune for crap.

If anyone, I think it is you those who say "agree" to this one haven't lived any place else...or else they would know that even though a lot of these other places are expensive, at least you can find a better quality of life there, with lower taxes and better schools.

Now I know you are gonna say why I am still here then -- I am here just because of both our jobs at this moment...will move out as soon as we can find something for both of us outside...hopefully Northern Virginia...love that place!

OH and BTW, trust me...we can definitely afford to live here...just don't find it worth our hard-earned money!

Just my $0.02!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island