Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM

76 posts, read 179,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
This is really hilarious !

Tuba, did you think the OP intended to get the opinions only from the people who have "serious money" (what the heck is that ? 300k+ or 1mil +) ? or can people who earn median wages can also vote ( duh ! "struggling"... ) ?
Either you are smoking the good stuff, or the OP needs to rephrase what we are voting for !!
Good point.

If I didn't make it clear before, I will now. If you are struggling to live here and could make the same amount of money (or the same amount indexed to c.o.l) elsewhere, why the heck are you still here? By all means leave. It's not worth developing ulcers worrying about your next mortgage payment.

All I was trying to say is that if you are for some reason tied to the NYC metro area, LI is your best bet. You're not gonna find substantially different circumstances anywhere else in the Tri-state area.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 AM

244 posts, read 540,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
All I'm saying is that if your making the big NYC bucks and have to live in the metro area somehwere, LI is your best bet.

Ya maybe LI is nothing but the place where your bed is during the week. But on the weekends there's a lot to do.

** And let's not knock stay at home moms. If hubby is bringing home enough bacon, well more power to 'em**
First sentence, very true. LI is the "best" place around in the Metro NY area.

Second sentence, well, yes, there's a lot to do. If you don't mind either shoving your way in, or finding parking.

Third, totally agree. My wife is a stay-at-home mom. Never meant anything by what I said. However, it's not the "norm" for, I'd say, at least 70% of the population of LI, if not more. If you happen to be in that 20-30%'ile, well, more power to you

As for Crookhaven, I think it's time you change your handle Or do you like living in Crookhaven?

Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
All I was trying to say is that if you are for some reason tied to the NYC metro area, LI is your best bet. You're not gonna find substantially different circumstances anywhere else in the Tri-state area.
I agree with this. If I had to be close to NYC, I don't think I would live anywhere else. But people in Westchester and northern Jersey are probably saying the same thing, LOL.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:51 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, I took AP English at my fabulous LI HS.

Truthfully, I've never seen myself living out my life on Long Island. The whole LI attitude started to get to me in my late teens and early 20s. Just took me this long to convince my other half, who thankfully works for himself and can do what he does from anywhere.

Awesome.

Listen, theres no judgments here.
I just dont understand all the whining on this board.
You sound like a bunch of effing pantywastes.

Im embarrassed to live with you, imagine what the lurkers think.

Man up, drop the coin or cut bait already.. but please STF up about how hard it is to live here. I dont see a gun to you head, youre all free to leave.

Were not going back in time folks.
So go already...and dont look back.

It the words of the great Bard Bill Shatner
"Get a life, move out of your parent basements"

Having spent considerable time on the road, I think LI is a pretty great place to live and a damned good value too when you really consider what youre getting.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Peace,

Crooks

Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Crooks....I'm guessing you don't travel too much. Probably make it down to the bar at Gracies and think you are in heaven.

You got to get around this country a bit more and then you will realize LI is no Garden of Eden.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im not so sure why that took so long to occur to me.

I actually was buying the BS on the board, but I think it really may be that simple.

Crooks
I think maybe if you took up a hobby or something, you might not worry what is posted on this board as much. To me your life must be so un-fulfilling that you are here 24/7 with your thousands of posts. I guess what I'm trying to say...... get a life...spend some more time with family and friends

Old 11-24-2009, 10:15 AM

76 posts, read 179,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

You got to get around this country a bit more and then you will realize LI is no Garden of Eden.
I think this is highly subjective. I have been to 37 states (due to a past job). I've lived in 2 states in completely different regions of the country for significant periods of time (>3 years in each) and I still think LI is the best place to live. If affordability is high on your list of desirable features, LI may not be your cup of tea. But I would avoid making blanket statements like the one above based solely upon your own opinion.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:15 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im embarrassed to live with you, imagine what the lurkers think.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Peace,

Crooks
What lurkers? I can honestly say I've never met anyone who moved here simply because they wanted to. I've met people whose jobs or spouses took them here, but I've NEVER met anyone who moved here just because it sounds like a great place to live. The lurkers are here simply to catch a glimpse of the Joey Buttafuoco-esque side of LI. All our silly little arguments are simply gravy to them.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 AM

292 posts, read 819,929 times
I think the title of your post is pretty judgemental, not to mention insulting and assuming a great deal. But like I said, whatever it takes to make you feel better.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Crooks - You can't judge things and come to conclusions (i.e. the people in Nassau have the most issues) based on posts here... CD forums are an excellent resource, but they far from give a perfect representation of "Long Island". You have to take the info posted here with a grain of salt.

Specific to the OP... I would submit that folks with common sense hate it most here. Most of us can "afford" it - that's not the issue. The issue is value is gone. You will counter this with your beloved Rocky Point as an example of great value, however one thing that the past decade has shown is that past performance doesn't guarantee the future. Just because certain small pockets of LI remain somewhat affordable (I'm really reaching IMO to call any area "affordable"), it doesn't mean that it will remain so. Where are taxes going but UP? Where are basic costs (insurance, utilities) going but UP? and seriously - why do I want a 30yr old bungalow on the side of a hill? Because if I want to buy something even remotely more up-to-date I will get raped with taxes... and pay a retarded premium... and even then, how the hell do I get to work every day? Seriously.

I've seen nothing to indicate that LI isn't just going further down the pooper... and I would counter this post specifically with explaining that people who LOVE it here are not the just ones who can "afford it". The people who love it here on LI are those that are not raising young kids - I speak from personal experience. That's my biggest issue... what does LI offer for a future to my kids? Answer that question honestly and I believe you have the answer to your poll. Forget even the long term future... In the present - LI does not have a monopoly on "excellent" schools - at best they have "very good" schools. They do have the monopoly on horribly inefficient run schools and corruption - I'll buy that. I'll buy heroin and gangs infiltrate everywhere. I'll buy the beaches and the "city". Add all that up and see what the math shows you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island