Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you keep Firearms in your home?
Yes 28 46.67%
No 32 53.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:17 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
But I have a hard time believing a gun stored in a safe and secure location is going to protect my family when the bad guys come.
Oh but they police will save you. Keep believing that..lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 01:18 PM

371 posts, read 938,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
It can be denied if you have a mental case history!
That's why I said "most" folks can...There are exceptions of course...
I should have thought to mention that one though...

Old 12-14-2009, 01:27 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Oh but they police will save you. Keep believing that..lol.
I never said that the police would. You're arguing against a point nobody is making, lol. In an earlier post, I mentioned an alarm system and a trained dog as an alternative. To me, that's enough.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:30 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Trained dog..but they are dangerous and unpredictable. What about the children around the dog? They could get bit. Alarms? You mean those things that most people ignore?

Now how about baseball bats. Do you thing they are a reasonable alternative to dialing 911?

Old 12-14-2009, 01:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
It can be denied if you have a mental case history!
Then you do like Colin Ferguson. Go live in a motel in California for a couple of weeks and get a handgun and bring it back to NY.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Now how about baseball bats. Do you thing they are a reasonable alternative to dialing 911?
Ha! I sleep with a heavy, professional camera monopod next to my bed. Better than a baseball bat since I'm better at shooting pictures than I am at hitting home runs (a whole lot better!). LOL! Best part is that it can be extented to switch off the lights when I'm done reading and don't want to get out from under the covers. Oh, but I'd still dial 911 and push the panic button on the house alarm too.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:32 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I have the right to bear arms, and arm bears or whatever.
With the dramatic increase in home invasions and robberies at any given time of day, you can't be too safe. Not that I live in total paranoia and fear, but you hear about these random home invasions in average, ordinary, everyday communities, you just can't help but be a bit leary. Had one happen right up the street from me last year.
Couple of thugs kicked open the door armed with guns at like 6AM.
6AM! WTF is that all about? And it seems to be a trend now.
Early morning hits, when people are getting out of bed and ready for work/school.
There's also been a bunch of daytime robberies in my neighborhood as well.
People coming home to a ran-sacked home. Sucks.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:27 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
reality is if you have kids and cant leave a firearm accessable and loaded for the most part its useless..

as it is there are very few scenerios that will let you unlock a firearm ,load it and get your head together with enough time... yes they do have those fingerprint safes but again once someone is in your home and comes after you there will be no time to futz with the fingerprint safe.

unless its the rare scenerio where they make lots of noise outside first any firearm thats not ready ,accessable and loaded will not be deployed.

its hard enough when you carry a firearm on your person and someone gets the drop on you for you to even get to your gun.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:42 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
My kids have their own guns. We're all locked and loaded, even the dog.
He's a bad shot though.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Default Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
reality is if you have kids and cant leave a firearm accessable and loaded for the most part its useless..

as it is there are very few scenerios that will let you unlock a firearm ,load it and get your head together with enough time... yes they do have those fingerprint safes but again once someone is in your home and comes after you there will be no time to futz with the fingerprint safe.

unless its the rare scenerio where they make lots of noise outside first any firearm thats not ready ,accessable and loaded will not be deployed.

its hard enough when you carry a firearm on your person and someone gets the drop on you for you to even get to your gun.
You're right!

That's why I don't advocate having a gun in the house for "home protection."

But let the macho boys on here dream their dreams of shootouts with the bad guys who bust down the door to steal their wife's C.Z. solitaire (set in 14K to look "real") or their 30" italian gold chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island