Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 AM

732 posts, read 1,735,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Walldbaums in RP is bumping with parents in the distrtict on a Sat afternoon. Ask them what they think, then take a ride to Pathmark on 112 etc etc etc and do the same.
Just don't ask the people in the Pathmark in Shirley. Most of them look like the "after" pictures in "What Crystal Meth Does To Your Body."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 09:59 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
One of the best things about living here is that people think were further out than we are. Its really kept the area pretty nice over the years.
My family is surprised when I tell them to get off at Exit 63 and east on 25a .Sometimes people think were all the way out on the North Fork.
That is so true. Many people would think it's the end of the world and not consider the area for that reason.

I did the RP - Syosset commute for a few years. (NSP: So Oyster Bay Rd exit) My commute during the week was a breeze in - it was after the rush hour. Coming home was another story. (Bear in mind this was 18 years ago.)

Quote:
If youre comparing it to PJ Station, Selden,Coram ,Farmingville,Medford or anythng else affordable near Exit 64/112 not so much.
RP is definitely,definitely,definitely worth the last mile for a significant bump in QOL and schools.
Beyond significant and well worth the extra couple of miles.

Quote:
Its a great little town and parents do really love the schools.One suggestion I would make on any town is to take the Supermarket test.Go to the local Supermarket on a Sat afternoon and ask yourself can these folks can be my neighbors. Walldbaums in RP is bumping with parents in the distrtict on a Sat afternoon. Ask them what they think, then take a ride to Pathmark on 112 etc etc etc and do the same.
Had I remained in RP, I would have had no issues about my children attending the schools. I did not move because of schools.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:27 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
You guys are nuts! Quit promoting RP as the Garden Of Eden! Next thing you know every skel and dirtbag will be your neighbor. Keep it LI's best kept secret.
I would be saying how badly it sucks and to avoid the area like the plague.
Now go delete all the positive RP posts on City-Data! Quickly! hurry up! go now!

Old 12-12-2009, 02:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
you guys are nuts! Quit promoting rp as the garden of eden! Next thing you know every skel and dirtbag will be your neighbor. Keep it li's best kept secret.
Now go delete all the positive rp posts on city-data! Quickly! Hurry up! Go now!
lmao

Old 12-12-2009, 04:39 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
I really dont understand your question. Are you asking if the longer distance is worth buying a home at a cheaper price compared the rest of LI? If so, then yes. But if your looking at home prices that are on par with the rest of LI then I would say no, its not worth it. $350K can get you in alot of solid school districts these days without the longer commute.
Are you looking into Rocky Point simply b/c its cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
I've seen some homes in Rocky Point that are really appealing, I also checked the school district and parents seems to be fund of their school system althoug it is only rated 7. I mapquest to my job from Rocky Point it is 42 miles to hubby it is 54 miles. Hubby I'm not too worry about as he works 3pm to midnight so rush hour will not be a problem for me. Is it worth to go that far and have two young kids? Is it a really long commute?

Thanks

Old 12-12-2009, 04:52 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You guys are nuts! Quit promoting RP as the Garden Of Eden! Next thing you know every skel and dirtbag will be your neighbor. Keep it LI's best kept secret.
Now go delete all the positive RP posts on City-Data! Quickly! hurry up! go now!

Youre right.

It sucks.

Crooks

Old 12-12-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I really dont understand your question. Are you asking if the longer distance is worth buying a home at a cheaper price compared the rest of LI? If so, then yes. But if your looking at home prices that are on par with the rest of LI then I would say no, its not worth it. $350K can get you in alot of solid school districts these days without the longer commute.
Hmmmm good point Rocs, $350 puts you just about anywhere in Suffolk these days(how the mighty have fallen).

I will say this your housing buck willl go pretty far here if youre willing to do the commute in comparison to other areas on LI.
(Certainly anywhere on the North Shore with the possible exception of Kings Park.)

Truthfully Rocky Point(North Shore Beach), Sound Beach and Ridge are really the last great buys in Brookhaven(good schools/taxes etc). You can do very well in the 2s right now.Fantastic in the low 3s and Waterfront/Luxury in the upper 4s.

Keep in mind, with some exceptions, youre gonna be at least 15-20 min from the LIE from anywhere really worth living in.
So figure out how far youre willing to go exit wise, and add 15-20 from there.

Like I said before...it sucks here.

Crooks

Old 12-12-2009, 05:58 PM

176 posts, read 730,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Yes, simply because it is cheaper our budget is 350k but I would love to stay closer to 300k and Rocky Point seems to offer that without having to gut the house and pay so much on taxes and good school district.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
Yes, simply because it is cheaper our budget is 350k but I would love to stay closer to 300k and Rocky Point seems to offer that without having to gut the house and pay so much on taxes and good school district.
Indeed it does.

Heres some other links for the area if youre intersted.
Rocky Point Historical Society
Rocky Point History (http://www.buoy.com/rp/rp_hist.html - broken link)
North Shore Public Library
http://www.nsyc.com

Crooks

Old 12-12-2009, 09:25 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
sigh.... shaking my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island