Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 AM

416 posts, read 698,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
If all you Jets fans think that Cincy didnt lay down last week your on crack. When was the last time the Jets dropped 37 on a team. Lets get real here guys. The previous poster was right, just as Mike Francessa has been sayin..these last 2 games have given the Jets a false identity. Just remember where you were 5 weeks ago!
I see a pattern in your posting history... can you get anything right? In the playoffs it's all about defense and the running game. To anyone who knows anything about football, the Jets run is not a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
I see a pattern in your posting history... can you get anything right? In the playoffs it's all about defense and the running game
maybe 20 years ago. Since they changed the rules for defensive backs in the mid 90's, the offenses in general have become much more pass oriented - playoffs included. The Jets are an exception.

Quote:
To anyone who knows anything about football, the Jets run is not a surprise.
eh, they were a big underdog last week for a reason. Teams with rookie QB's usually don't win two road playoff games. Teams with QB's that throw almost twice as many INT's vs. TD's usually don't even make the playoffs. And teams usually don't get the benefit of the opposing teams missing ALL FIVE of their field goal attempts, including the most accurate kicker in NFL history missing two within 40 yards. But I guess you saw all this coming right?

The Jets are playing great...and deserve to be in the AFC title game, but let's not pretend this isn't a Cinderalla story (nothing wrong with that).

Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
maybe 20 years ago. Since they changed the rules for defensive backs in the mid 90's, the offenses in general have become much more pass oriented - playoffs included. The Jets are an exception.

eh, they were a big underdog last week for a reason. Teams with rookie QB's usually don't win two road playoff games. Teams with QB's that throw almost twice as many INT's vs. TD's usually don't even make the playoffs. And teams usually don't get the benefit of the opposing teams missing ALL FIVE of their field goal attempts, including the most accurate kicker in NFL history missing two within 40 yards. But I guess you saw all this coming right?

The Jets are playing great...and deserve to be in the AFC title game, but let's not pretend this isn't a Cinderalla story (nothing wrong with that).
Tell that to the Steelers/ Giants/ Bucs/ Ravens... all winners in the 2000's all with much stronger DEF than OFF. The PATS passing offense was not as explosive when they won their SB's.

The colts and rams are the only 2 SB winning teams of the 2000's with prolific passing OFF and not as solid of a DEF.

As for the Jets - look at where teams with the #1 DEF and #1 running game finish - they are always solid. The Jets are an underdog team with a rookie QB. The only thing improbable about their run is that they are doing it with a rookie QB.

As for the missed FG's - yes Nate Kaeding has a history of choking in the playoffs in case you missed that. Shayne Graham has been shakey all year. And no, I didn't see the missed FG's coming, no one can predict that. But am I shocked that the Jets are where they are? No... it's not are crazy of a run as some of these "football geniuses" think

Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Tell that to the Steelers/ Giants/ Bucs/ Ravens... all winners in the 2000's all with much stronger DEF than OFF. The PATS passing offense was not as explosive when they won their SB's.

The colts and rams are the only 2 SB winning teams of the 2000's with prolific passing OFF and not as solid of a DEF.
where did I say you didn't need a strong defense? My comment was directed at the part of your post that referenced "the running game".
The NFL is primarily a passing league. The rules protect the QB and give receivers all kinds of advantages. I'm not really making a bold statement here. Passing stats are off the charts in recent years...and 3 of the final four remaining teams had ridiculous passing attacks this year.

The reason the Jets are able to win with a conservate offense is that they have an off the charts defense. If not for that, their rushing based offense would have gotten them about 4 wins this year.

Quote:
As for the Jets - look at where teams with the #1 DEF and #1 running game finish - they are always solid. The Jets are an underdog team with a rookie QB. The only thing improbable about their run is that they are doing it with a rookie QB. As for the missed FG's - yes Nate Kaeding has a history of choking in the playoffs in case you missed that. Shayne Graham has been shakey all year. And no, I didn't see the missed FG's coming, no one can predict that. But am I shocked that the Jets are where they are? No... it's not are crazy of a run as some of these "football geniuses" think
sorry, history tells us that teams with QB play as bad as the Jets had this year and who finish 9-7 usually don't end up in the conference title game. If you weren't surprised by this, then you're simply being a homer.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
where did I say you didn't need a strong defense? My comment was directed at the part of your post that referenced "the running game".
The NFL is primarily a passing league. The rules protect the QB and give receivers all kinds of advantages. I'm not really making a bold statement here. Passing stats are off the charts in recent years...and 3 of the final four remaining teams had ridiculous passing attacks this year.

The reason the Jets are able to win with a conservate offense is that they have an off the charts defense. If not for that, their rushing based offense would have gotten them about 4 wins this year.

sorry, history tells us that teams with QB play as bad as the Jets had this year and who finish 9-7 usually don't end up in the conference title game. If you weren't surprised by this, then you're simply being a homer.
You quoted where I said "it's all about DEF and running game". Yes, running game alone won't do it. But add the DEF to the equation and the JETS have a winning formula. As bad as the QB play is/was, their DEF and running game was good enough to overcome it. Also look at the teams they played - Cincy was overrated and San diego has an explosive passing game but not much else. Jets DEF was able to stop cincy's running game, palmer had a bad game and San Diego had bad coaching. Really, I'm not even a jets fan and I was not totally surprised by them beating Cincy and San Diego. I didn't think they would win, but I also didn't think it was a hand down loss either. I'm sorry you were totally wrong and completely fooled but that doesn't mean everyone else is as clueless as you

Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times
Of course you need a strong defense to win the Superbowl. But, most of the time, you also need a great QB. You can't hide your QB for too long in the NFL before it is exposed. Let's look at the last 10 Superbowl winners.

Ravens
Rams
Patriots
Bucs
Patriots
Patriots
Steelers
Indy
NY Giants
Steelers

All of them had strong to elite QB's except for the Ravens and Bucs. The Ravens overcame that with an amazing defense and clutch special teams. Dilfer also made some timely throws. The Bucs did the same thing with Brad Johnson.

You might put the Giants in that category as well, but Eli got hot and played well enough to get it done that year. The Giants didn't have to "hide" him.

Yes, you can win without a great QB, but it takes a TON to overcome that, and it's rare. Even then, you can't hide your QB forever.

Only 3 of the remaining 4 teams have a realistic shot at winning the SB, and the Jets aren't one of them in my opinion. I don't think their defense is to the level of the Ravens or Bucs, and I don't think Sanchez can make enough throws at this point to do it.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:20 PM

You can't hide your QB - unless you have the #1 rated running game to go along with the best DEF.

Don't get me wrong, I did not expect the jets to get this far... but it's not a big shock either. I also don't think it's fair to compare sanchez to dilfer - even a rookie sanchez is a better QB than trent dilfer.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
You quoted where I said "it's all about DEF and running game". Yes, running game alone won't do it. But add the DEF to the equation and the JETS have a winning formula.
a formula that includes the other team missing every FG...a trend that is not likely to continue. Let's not overlook that.

Quote:
As bad as the QB play is/was, their DEF and running game was good enough to overcome it. Also look at the teams they played - Cincy was overrated and San diego has an explosive passing game but not much else. Jets DEF was able to stop cincy's running game palmer had a bad game and San Diego had bad coaching. Really, I'm not even a jets fan and I was not totally surprised by them beating Cincy and San Diego.
First all of, Benson ran for 169 yards on 21 carries so your comment about the Jets stopping the Bengals' running game is 100 percent false. Secondly, it took Sanchez having his best game of the year BY FAR on the road against a solid defense to win that game. Sorry, but nobody saw that coming.

Quote:
I didn't think they would win, but I also didn't think it was a hand down loss either. I'm sorry you were totally wrong and completely fooled but that doesn't mean everyone else is as clueless as you
it's not about who's wrong and who's right...it's about recognizing the real reasons the Jets have gotten this far. Making statements like "you win the playoffs with defense and the running game" suggests you really don't know what you're watching out there. It's ok grandpa...go take a nap.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times
Quote:
You can't hide your QB - unless you have the #1 rated running game to go along with the best DEF.

Don't get me wrong, I did not expect the jets to get this far... but it's not a big shock either. I also don't think it's fair to compare sanchez to dilfer - even a rookie sanchez is a better QB than trent dilfer.
Ummm..No. For years my Steelers had the best defense and the best running game. The result....we lost 4 out of 5 AFC Championship games at home under Cowher. No matter how great our running game was in the 90's with Bettis and our defense with Kevin Green, Kirkland, Lloyd, Woodson, Carnell Lake, etc.....our QB was Kordell Stewart. We couldn't hide him.

Hell, in Ben's rookie year, our D was number one in the league and we had the best rushing team in the NFL. The result...we lost to the Patriots at home in the AFC Championship game.

Great D and great running will only take you so far.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:44 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
You might put the Giants in that category as well, but Eli got hot and played well enough to get it done that year. The Giants didn't have to "hide" him.

Yes, you can win without a great QB, but it takes a TON to overcome that, and it's rare. Even then, you can't hide your QB forever.

Only 3 of the remaining 4 teams have a realistic shot at winning the SB, and the Jets aren't one of them in my opinion. I don't think their defense is to the level of the Ravens or Bucs, and I don't think Sanchez can make enough throws at this point to do it.
haha - Steelers fans ranking on the Jets are almost as bad as the Gents fans. I guess only OTHER QBs can get hot. lol

The Jets matched up well against Cincy and SD... San Diego being world's better then Cincy overall, but an aging LT is no Benson so the Jets have stopped a first rate running game and first rate passing game to get where they are. It's much deserved IMO.

Frankly, the Jets D easily ranks up with any of the best out there... Even without Jenkins (beast) and Ellis with a broken hand. The numbers don't lie and I know it's really hard for fans of other teams to admit. Like Woodson should not have been the D player of the year - but whatever, the "key" numbers were in his favor and you have to give it to him!

Now the Jets don't match up nearly as well with Indy, who passes / runs / and plays D exceptionally. They're not going to get away with limiting Sanchez to 20 attempts and mostly pounding the ball - sadly. So this really comes down Sanchez and frankly I would rather put my faith in his inexperience then Clemens mediocre passing, or something like Pennington's lollipop arm. Sanchez is capable of making EVERY throw unlike many QBs in the league. There's no sense in "hiding" him to keep going 3 and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island