Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
Do you know anything about Lindenhurst? from what i am hearing I like that they have those venetian shores over there and it seems to have a nice vibe ...

Venetian Shores is not in the Village of Lindenhurst; it's in the Hamlet of West Babylon ("Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Do it.

The most you can get for a loan is 3x your income, so $350k is definately do-able for you...and since you hope to have 20% down, the loan amount will be less than if you put nothing down.

Good luck. It definitely seems like a good move.

This is not true

it may be a guidline for how much you "should" buy, but in general the max loan amount is a function of income vs debt carrying costs and anticipated taxes.

If you have car payments, student loan debt, credit card debt etc, it will all be factored into how much they will aprove you for.

If you have none of these and aren't a huge spender, $350K or 400K or $450K probably wouldn't be any problem for you to pay, but everyone is different.

Some people can get by on much less than others. I can't tell you how much you can afford to pay each month, and niether can your bank.
The bank will tell you how much they'll let you borrow. Some people eat out 4-7 times a week and buy lunch every day, go on huge vacations etc.
Others eat home and bring lunch.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
This is not true

it may be a guidline for how much you "should" buy, but in general the max loan amount is a function of income vs debt carrying costs and anticipated taxes.

If you have car payments, student loan debt, credit card debt etc, it will all be factored into how much they will aprove you for.

If you have none of these and aren't a huge spender, $350K or 400K or $450K probably wouldn't be any problem for you to pay, but everyone is different.

Some people can get by on much less than others. I can't tell you how much you can afford to pay each month, and niether can your bank.
The bank will tell you how much they'll let you borrow. Some people eat out 4-7 times a week and buy lunch every day, go on huge vacations etc.
Others eat home and bring lunch.
I second this.... there are some thumbrules, but ultimately you already know how much you can put away with your lifestyle. I could not have purchased my house with the 3x rule. Mine is around 4x. But with my lifestyle (as in not stingy nor exorbitant) I am able to afford the payments (for now atleast !). With the preliminary figures that we got from you, I figured 380k plus/minus 20k purchase price (with 20% down) should be comfortable.... but only YOU know your finances.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,643 times
175K annual salary and wants to move to Selden?? I call Shenanigans.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 PM

527 posts, read 1,019,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
175K annual salary and wants to move to Selden?? I call Shenanigans.
what does that mean? is that good or bad? I dont know the areas. I was looking in the areas for a house around $350k in the areas of selden, centereach, deer park & Lindenhurst- I was seeing houses online with inground pools for these prices- that is why i have been scouring asking about these areas

Old 01-15-2010, 12:55 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Quote:
what does that mean? is that good or bad? I dont know the areas. I was looking in the areas for a house around $350k in the areas of selden, centereach, deer park & Lindenhurst- I was seeing houses online with inground pools for these prices- that is why i have been scouring asking about these areas
I think they are trying to say that you are selling yourself short. 175K is a very high income for someone living in that area, and you can afford to buy something for considerably more than 350

Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think they are trying to say that you are selling yourself short. 175K is a very high income for someone living in that area, and you can afford to buy something for considerably more than 350
oh, got it-
I didnt want to put more than around $70k-75k down on the house that is 20% down - i dont want to be in over my head with a mortgage- are those areas that i am looking in good? Some of the houses looked nice & like i said they even had inground pools- I am not savvy on any of the areas. I am from whitestone. I know they are not upscale areas but i figured they are somewhat on par like where i live whitestone/bayside comparing with the people etc - Again i truly apprectiate all feedback - thanks

Old 01-15-2010, 01:27 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,355 times
I'd say Centereach or Selden are too far into Long Island for your husbands commute to New Jersey. It's okay if you work on the island but...going to NJ...that's a bit far... My dad used to work in Jersey when I was a kid and we lived in Bethpage and that was far enough. Seriously though, if I were you, I would try to look into Nassau County or the westerly part of Suffolk. I can tell you a few things about Lindy (Lindenhurst).

I'm not sure if you care about the school district in general. The schools are decent, nothing to really speak of... I know this b/c my husband and I were looking into this area when we first started our search. I also had a friend and cousin who lived in Lindenhurst. There are some shady areas. You really want to stay in between Sunrise Highway and Montauk Highway (South of Sunrise but North of Montauk). Once you go South of Montauk Highway you get into the flood zone. Lindenhurst is known for having flood problems in the parts close to the water...(Venetian Shores). If you decided to buy a house in the area I recommended, you are in the village which is considered the nicest part and still very close to the water. Lindenhurst is surrounded by Copiague to the West and West Babylon to the east. Copiague is a sketchy area and I personally would try to stay away from there while West Babylon, while it's considered to be much nicer than Copiague, it is slowly going down hill. NOw, there is a part of Lindehurst called North Lindenhurst which is a shady section... I would stay away from that area. Overall, Lindenhurst is a decent neighborhood but you have to watch the areas you look at. I suggest you guys take a ride out there over a weekend and check out the neighborhood. I wouldn't go out too much further than Deer Park if I were you being you have such long commutes. I work in Jericho and going to Kings Park (which isn't that far) was where I drew the line. LOL. We decided not to go with Lindenhurst b/c we really like streets that have curbs (I know, sounds nuts..LOL) and Lindenhurst does not have curbs. We feel curbs make for a nicer looking atmosphere (personal preference though). Also, I didn't want to live in a neighborhood that had shady areas at all.

BTW, I think you inquired about Deer Park, they have 2 school districts.... Deer Park district is not so great...Half Hollow Hills schools are rated excellent; only downfall to this part of Deer Park is it's located within approx. a mile from Wyandanch (really bad neighborhood). We looked in that area of Deer Park and decided against it b/c it was too close to Wyandanch for our liking. Deer Park surrounded by North Babylon (used to be a nice neighborhood but is getting shady), Bayshore (not so nice; only in certain areas), Wyandanch (stay as far away as you can) and Dix Hills (really, really nice neighborhood). Deer Park is a very mixed area. I'm not really sure what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Quote:
oh, got it-
I didnt want to put more than around $70k-75k down on the house that is 20% down - i dont want to be in over my head with a mortgage- are those areas that i am looking in good? Some of the houses looked nice & like i said they even had inground pools- I am not savvy on any of the areas. I am from whitestone. I know they are not upscale areas but i figured they are somewhat on par like where i live whitestone/bayside comparing with the people etc - Again i truly apprectiate all feedback - thanks

Not on par with Bayside and Whitestone in my opinion. Centereach is lower middle class Long Island..it isn't crime ridden or anything, but it's a little rough around the edges. You don't have kids, so I can't use the below average school district to scare you off. I just think you can do better further West.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:12 PM

[quote=LIgirl74;12461524]I'd say Centereach or Selden are too far into Long Island for your husbands commute to New Jersey. It's okay if you work on the island but...going to NJ...that's a bit far... My dad used to work in Jersey when I was a kid and we lived in Bethpage and that was far enough. Seriously though, if I were you, I would try to look into Nassau County or the westerly part of Suffolk. I can tell you a few things about Lindy (Lindenhurst).

thanks so much for your input- soon we will definitely have to go and check out all of these areas- I thought Lindenhurst was a bit better then you described. I know the commute is going to be hard for my hub but he is willing (he works nights mon- thurs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island