Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 PM

527 posts, read 1,021,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Not on par with Bayside and Whitestone in my opinion. Centereach is lower middle class Long Island..it isn't crime ridden or anything, but it's a little rough around the edges. You don't have kids, so I can't use the below average school district to scare you off. I just think you can do better further West.
I am soooo confused what is your thoughts on lindenhurst & selden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 02:42 PM

827 posts, read 3,099,180 times
You're welcome. I've heard West Islip which is not that far from Lindenhurst (a bit more East) is a nice place to live. I went to check it out myself but by that time, we had already decided that we liked the North Shore of Suffolk better than the South Shore. We really fell in love with the North Shore and that's when we totally decided against even looking on the South Shore anymore. I'd say check out Commack or East Northport of Suffolk (that's not that far into it) but I'm not sure if you would be able to find anything in those areas for your price range. We spent $387k on a 3 b/r, 2 bath ranch in Kings Park which is right next to East Northport and Commack. I've never personally been to Bayside but I've heard it's a really nice neighborhood...from what I heard about it and trying to visualize from what I've heard and then knowing and seeing Lindenhurst, I would think it's not the same that you are thinking (neighborhood wise). I don't think it's comparable but only you could be the one to make that judgment after seeing it.. I'd probably say you would rather be on the North Shore but like I said, it may be too expensive. Also, keep your eye on the taxes in the area. When we first started looking in the area of Commack, we noticed some areas were $10k for taxes...then we found our area, Kings Park and our taxes are $7k with STAR. East Northport has low taxes too. That's important. You'd rather spend more on your house and have lower taxes b/c the house payment will never increase but your taxes go up every year. Good luck and keep us posted. Like I said, definitely come out to LI one weekend and check it out. I think it's also good to go bye a neighborhood at night...That's when you really learn about it. We did that before we purchased our first home. We fell in love with a condo and then drove by the neighborhood at night and were in for a loop!

[quote=jackinyc;12462153]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I'd say Centereach or Selden are too far into Long Island for your husbands commute to New Jersey. It's okay if you work on the island but...going to NJ...that's a bit far... My dad used to work in Jersey when I was a kid and we lived in Bethpage and that was far enough. Seriously though, if I were you, I would try to look into Nassau County or the westerly part of Suffolk. I can tell you a few things about Lindy (Lindenhurst).

thanks so much for your input- soon we will definitely have to go and check out all of these areas- I thought Lindenhurst was a bit better then you described. I know the commute is going to be hard for my hub but he is willing (he works nights mon- thurs)

Old 01-15-2010, 02:58 PM

13,515 posts, read 17,067,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
I am soooo confused what is your thoughts on lindenhurst & selden?

Again, the main issue is you comparing these areas to Bayside and Whitestone. They are not in the same ball park at all. Those areas of Queens have a lot of diversity, (diverse actually meaning DIVERSE, not just having one predominant minority group) but also very good public schools, some nice commercial streets with nice restaurants and some really expensive houses. They are higher end areas of Queens.

Centereach and Selden (basically the same areas) are suburban tract developments with mediocre housing stock, ugly commercial roads (route 25 Jericho Turnpike is a nightmare) and are considered below the median on Long Island in terms of areas, in general, including the schools. It isn't living in Compton or South Jamaica..it's fine, but it isn't great either.

Let's put it this way..my wife and I are in a similar situation to you..a little less money in the bank and about 20K a year less in combined income, and we do have a kid...we currently own a condo and are expecting to buy a house in the next 1-2 years..I would not buy a house in Selden or Centereach. If we wanted to we could have easily years ago, and we passed. Sure, for what we bought our condo with we could have bought a small 3 bedroom house in Centereach.

We be paying 3 times as much in taxes, and .....we'd be in Centereach. I passed.

Lindenhurst I would consider because it's further west and has a bit of a downtown, and the schools are okay, but it IS bordered by mostly dumpy areas.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM

[quote=LIgirl74;12462619]You're welcome. I've heard West Islip which is not that far from Lindenhurst (a bit more East) is a nice place to live. I went to check it out myself but by that time, we had already decided that we liked the North Shore of Suffolk better than the South Shore. We really fell in love with the North Shore and that's when we totally decided against even looking on the South Shore anymore. I'd say check out Commack or East Northport of Suffolk (that's not that far into it) but I'm not sure if you would be able to find anything in those areas for your price range. We spent $387k on a 3 b/r, 2 bath ranch

thanks- yes come spring (when we are more ready/prepared) we will be doing alot of scoping out, thats for sure, I am now looking at the ronkonkoma area too, i have had good feedback for that area- LI is so freaking big I have many areas to look at- I am not familiar with so much. it is getting scary

Old 01-15-2010, 03:01 PM

[quote=dman72;12462875]Again, the main issue is you comparing these areas to Bayside and Whitestone. They are not in the same ball park at all. Those areas of Queens have a lot of diversity, (diverse actually meaning DIVERSE, not just having one predominant minority group) but also very good public schools, some nice commercial streets with nice restaurants and some really expensive houses. They are higher end areas of Queens.

Centereach and Selden (basically the same areas) are suburban tract developments with mediocre housing stock, ugly commercial roads (route 25 Jericho Turnpike is a nightmare) and are considered below the median on Long Island in terms of areas, in general, including the schools. It isn't living in Compton or South Jamaica..it's fine, but it isn't great either.

Oh boy, like i said this is getting scary, where are you looking to move? any suggestions? what about ronkonkoma? lake ronkonkoma?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:04 PM

[quote=jackinyc;12462880]
Quote:
You're welcome. I've heard West Islip which is not that far from Lindenhurst (a bit more East) is a nice place to live. I went to check it out myself but by that time, we had already decided that we liked the North Shore of Suffolk better than the South Shore. We really fell in love with the North Shore and that's when we totally decided against even looking on the South Shore anymore. I'd say check out Commack or East Northport of Suffolk (that's not that far into it) but I'm not sure if you would be able to find anything in those areas for your price range. We spent $387k on a 3 b/r, 2 bath ranch

thanks- yes come spring (when we are more ready/prepared) we will be doing alot of scoping out, thats for sure, I am now looking at the ronkonkoma area too, i have had good feedback for that area- LI is so freaking big I have many areas to look at- I am not familiar with so much. it is getting scary

See, I would choose Ronkonkoma over Centereach or Selden because both school districts that it attends (Sachem and Connetquot) are better than Middle Country School District (Centereach and Selden). In terms of the houses you will be looking at, you will get a nicer house in Centereach or Selden than Ronkonkoma, the area won't look much different, and the commute will be...close to the same, you might save 10-20 minutes with Ronkonkoma. If you don't care much about the schools, there isn't really THAT much difference between the 2...and some will tell you there is no difference..but they usually live in Centereach or Selden.

Honestly, with your income, I'd save a little more and look for something in Kings Park, East Northport, West Islip, Islip, Sayville, etc. Just nicer areas. No, you won't get a big house for that, but you can get something smaller but still nice, and the areas are just more attractive. But..if you're just looking for a bigger house at a static price point, Centereach and Selden will get the job done.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 PM

[quote=jackinyc;12462908]
Quote:
Again, the main issue is you comparing these areas to Bayside and Whitestone. They are not in the same ball park at all. Those areas of Queens have a lot of diversity, (diverse actually meaning DIVERSE, not just having one predominant minority group) but also very good public schools, some nice commercial streets with nice restaurants and some really expensive houses. They are higher end areas of Queens.

Oh boy, like i said this is getting scary, where are you looking to move? any suggestions? what about ronkonkoma? lake ronkonkoma?
It shouldn't be scary.. Take a drive out..dedicate a whole day to check all of these places out..they're all pretty close to each other and you could do it easily. There should be at least one open house in every one of those towns this weekend..go to as many as you can.

Ronkonkoma and Lake Ronkonkoma are a slight notch above Centereach..not anything major, just a bit. And again, part of that notch is a better school district, which you don't care about. Now, there are some really nice developments in Lake Ronkonkoma, and others that are made up of really small houses with hideous car ports. It depends.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,730,570 times
Quote:
Lindenhurst is known for having flood problems in the parts close to the water...(Venetian Shores).
Venetian Shores is not in the Village of Lindenhurst; it's in the Hamlet of West Babylon ("Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address).

Quote:
Lindenhurst is surrounded by Copiague to the West and West Babylon to the east.
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst; on the east by the Hamlet of West Babylon; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Copiague and the Hamlet of North Amityville.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:35 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,354,642 times
With that commute I think you're looking in all the wrong areas, Lindenhurst might be the only one I would consider with an acceptable commute. Most areas mentioned are half an hour or more from Lindenhurst.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,585,384 times
Quote:
I think they are trying to say that you are selling yourself short. 175K is a very high income for someone living in that area, and you can afford to buy something for considerably more than 350
Exactly. You can do much better than Selden, unless you like unexpected visits in the middle of the night by people who want your stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island