Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There's really very little difference between big Federal govt and New York state Govt or even NYC government..they are all gigantic bureaucracies. Mcdonalds and most fast food restaurants have had calorie count information available in pamphlets and on their websites for about 20 years now. Then NYC says, "No, we want to FORCE people to see what they are eating!!!"

It's silly. Anyway, 50 calories of white flour bread is far worse for you than 50 calories of chicken, but their little menu boards don't tell you that. People choose to eat things that are bad for them..I just ate a donut because someone brought them in to the office..I know they are terrible for me, but I made the choice.
50 lashes with a whole wheat noodle for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 AM

416 posts, read 698,061 times
Quote:
There's really very little difference between big Federal govt and New York state Govt or even NYC government..they are all gigantic bureaucracies. Mcdonalds and most fast food restaurants have had calorie count information available in pamphlets and on their websites for about 20 years now. Then NYC says, "No, we want to FORCE people to see what they are eating!!!"

It's silly. Anyway, 50 calories of white flour bread is far worse for you than 50 calories of chicken, but their little menu boards don't tell you that. People choose to eat things that are bad for them..I just ate a donut because someone brought them in to the office..I know they are terrible for me, but I made the choice.
They are all gigantic bureaucracies for sure, but in terms of law making there is a huge difference.

As far as the calorie boards go... ever since the calorie boards have been put up, I stopped ordering any of starbucks' pastries. For the minimal cost to put up the calorie counts, I think it's worth it.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
They are all gigantic bureaucracies for sure, but in terms of law making there is a huge difference.

As far as the calorie boards go... ever since the calorie boards have been put up, I stopped ordering any of starbucks' pastries. For the minimal cost to put up the calorie counts, I think it's worth it.

Not a minimal cost to Starbucks. Not only did they have to get a few hundred menu boards created, but they just lost sales to fatties like you..there's a big mark up on that junk!!

Old 02-09-2010, 08:45 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
All this talk of food is making me hungry. Think I'm going to go out and get a double Whopper with cheese, superisze fries and wash it down with some Pepsi. Secretly all the Food Nazis are drooling right now...i know it.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Ummm...there IS a difference between anorexic and being fit/toned. For starters, I am 5ft. tall, so for me, slightly under 100lbs isn't a big deal. If I was 5'8", then yes, I would probably be anorexic.

But I eat right, and work out, so I have 18% body fat b/c of that...not b/c I am anorexic.

Junk food should be taken out of schools b/c whatever is being sold to kids, kids will buy it. They don't know any better. If schools ONLY have healthy options to sell, the kids really have no choice then, do they?

Most of the people who put down thin people, are fat and just jealous. I used to be heavy- I did something about it.
Only inside the school. Sure, ban all the junk food at school. However, that won't stop them from bringing in junk food to school, eating junk food at home, or going to the local 7-11, or having Mommy and Daddy buy the junk food for them. And yes, I have seen parents with kids at the grocery store packing the basket with junk food. So ban all you want. Like I said, it has to start with the parents. Its called responsibility.

And also like dman said, he chose to eat a donut, even though he knew he shouldn't have. But that was his choice.

And as for dman, dude, you dared to eat a donut and didn't bring enough for the rest of us?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 AM

416 posts, read 698,061 times
Quote:
Not a minimal cost to Starbucks. Not only did they have to get a few hundred menu boards created, but they just lost sales to fatties like you..there's a big mark up on that junk!!
A few hundred menu boards was peanuts in the big picture - their alternative was to closed all shops in NYC.

They definitely did lose sales, but it's up to them to be innovative and come up with lower calorie snacks - so far they failed.

I'm certainly not as svelt as I was in my HS wrestling days, but I am not a proud owner of love handles

Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Typical

You voted in Obama for the handouts

Now you want his Marxist administration to tell you what to do.

Anyone that agrees with this agenda won't have to worry too long. Your kids will probably drop out of school just like you did.

Less government people

Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
A few hundred menu boards was peanuts in the big picture - their alternative was to closed all shops in NYC.

They definitely did lose sales, but it's up to them to be innovative and come up with lower calorie snacks - so far they failed.

I'm certainly not as svelt as I was in my HS wrestling days, but I am not a proud owner of love handles

What have you been fantasizing about those since I posted?

Sure you don't have love handles. Unless you're running below 12% body fat or so, everybody has them to a degree.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Typical

You voted for Obama for the handouts

Now you want his Marxist administration to tell you what to do.

Anyone that agrees with this agenda won't have to worry too long. Your kids will probably drop out of school before they get to H.S. just like you did.

Less government people
Is it possible to include more nonsense in one short post than this person has?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:01 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Quote:
Is it possible to include more nonsense in one short post than this person has?
Yes, one long post from you usually does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island