Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:33 PM

284 posts, read 985,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My husband and I enjoy:

Abel Conklins (steakhouse) - Huntington Village
Canterbury Ales (pub) - Huntington Village
Black & Blue (seafood & steakhouse) - Huntington Village
The Clubhouse (steakhouse) - Huntington, Jericho Tpke.
Munday's (breakfast) - Huntington Village
Sweet Mama's (breakfast & comfort food) - Northport
Tomo (sushi) - Huntington Village (although the restaurant is a bit run down now.)
Restaurant Joanina (italian) - Huntington Village
Prime (steakhouse/new american) - Huntington Village
Honu Kitchen - Huntington Village (for drinks, when I'm not knocked up. )

As you can tell, we don't travel far from HV.
Thanks for sharing , i love HV such a nice area . I always wanted to stop in and buy some chocolate from Bon Bons Chocolatier maybe this summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My husband and I enjoy:

Abel Conklins (steakhouse) - Huntington Village
Canterbury Ales (pub) - Huntington Village
Black & Blue (seafood & steakhouse) - Huntington Village
The Clubhouse (steakhouse) - Huntington, Jericho Tpke.
Munday's (breakfast) - Huntington Village
Sweet Mama's (breakfast & comfort food) - Northport
Tomo (sushi) - Huntington Village (although the restaurant is a bit run down now.)
Restaurant Joanina (italian) - Huntington Village
Prime (steakhouse/new american) - Huntington Village
Honu Kitchen - Huntington Village (for drinks, when I'm not knocked up. )

As you can tell, we don't travel far from HV.
Big Island ...you oughta get out more.
HV is so 1990. ; )
Heres some of the new stuff per the Times.
Long Island Dining - Best of 2009 - Some Fine Restaurants Forced to Close, but Others Survive - Review - NYTimes.com

Town aint been the same since they closed R&T.
THE Best brunch on the planet.
: (

I love Med Snack and I shouldve listed it.
http://www.medsnackbar.com/

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-05-2010 at 09:56 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 10:35 PM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Big Island ...you oughta get out more.
HV is so 1990. ; )
Heres some of the new stuff per the Times.
Long Island Dining - Best of 2009 - Some Fine Restaurants Forced to Close, but Others Survive - Review - NYTimes.com
I rarely leave Huntington Village either, not because there aren't good restaurants elsewhere, but because there are so many good restaurants close to home. I actually just got back from dinner there and the place is vibrant as ever --- definitely more-so than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

...and if you think it's "so 1990," I suggest you visit more. Here's some glowing Times reviews from the past year:

Dining - Huntington - New in Huntington, Osteria Toscana - Review - NYTimes.com

Long Island Dining - Huntington - Blond Lives Up to High Marks of Its Namesake - Review - NYTimes.com

Long Island Dining - Huntington - Porto Vivo, a Hot Spot That Serves Italian and Innovative Fare - Review - NYTimes.com

Long Island Dining - Huntington - A Start With Chocolate, and Now Room for Dinner at Sally’s Cocofé - Review - NYTimes.com

Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
I rarely leave Huntington Village either, not because there aren't good restaurants elsewhere, but because there are so many good restaurants close to home. I actually just got back from dinner there and the place is vibrant as ever --- definitely more-so than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

...and if you think it's "so 1990," I suggest you visit more. Here's some glowing Times reviews from the past year:

Dining - Huntington - New in Huntington, Osteria Toscana - Review - NYTimes.com

Long Island Dining - Huntington - Blond Lives Up to High Marks of Its Namesake - Review - NYTimes.com

Long Island Dining - Huntington - Porto Vivo, a Hot Spot That Serves Italian and Innovative Fare - Review - NYTimes.com

Long Island Dining - Huntington - A Start With Chocolate, and Now Room for Dinner at Sally’s Cocofé - Review - NYTimes.com

Why bother...the original Blond is in Miller Place, and its quite good.

Lately everyones a buzz about Amarelle in Wading Rver.
(Im partial to La Plage.)

Like I said Med Snack keeps me coming back
Bring back R&T and Ill be there weekly.

Huntingtons AWESOME but of your links theres not a single mention in the Times picks for 2009

Its a Big Island go see.
; )

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-05-2010 at 10:59 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:

Why bother...you do know the original Blond is in Miller Place, and its quite good.
Yup. The Times review makes a point of that saying that it "caused a stir at the time of its opening nine years ago, when its main competitors were pizza parlors and chain restaurants," and now it has entered the big-leagues competing with the "Huntington heavy hitters."

Like you said, it's a big island. As a local, I understand why people don't want to drive 30/40/60 minutes out of the way when there are so many excellent dining choices 5/10/15 minutes from home. In addition, we have a lovely bustling downtown for after dinner drinks/music/movies/dessert/coffee whatever-you-want. I'm sure La Plage is quite good, but it's an hour-and-a-half from my house! It's easier for me to go into Manhattan (where I hear they also have some good restaurants).

I'm not sure why anytime someone celebrates Huntington, you feel the need to bash and turn it into some odd competition. I'm glad you think it's AWESOME though...

Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Yup. The Times review makes a point of that saying that it "caused a stir at the time of its opening nine years ago, when its main competitors were pizza parlors and chain restaurants," and now it has entered the big-leagues competing with the "Huntington heavy hitters."

Like you said, it's a big island. As a local, I understand why people don't want to drive 30/40/60 minutes out of the way when there are so many excellent dining choices 5/10/15 minutes from home. In addition, we have a lovely bustling downtown for after dinner drinks/music/movies/dessert/coffee whatever-you-want. I'm sure La Plage is quite good, but it's an hour-and-a-half from my house! It's easier for me to go into Manhattan (where I hear they also have some good restaurants).

I'm not sure why anytime someone celebrates Huntington, you feel the need to bash and turn it into some odd competition.

Huntingtons awesome,I didnt mean to bash, I just find the geocentricity of the locals comical at times.

Listen you really owe it to yourself to try LaPlage, its nowhere near 90 min away and really worth the trip.

Ill get back to you on Amarelle.

See you at Med Snack

Crooks

Old 03-05-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Huntingtons awesome,I didnt mean to bash, I just find the geocentricity of the locals comical at times.

Listen you really owe it to yourself to try LaPlage, its nowhere near 90 min away and really worth the trip.
I'll give it a try if I'm ever in the neighborhood, but Wading River is literally 75-90 minutes from my home in Cold Spring Hills (Western Huntington). I'm not being geocentric, I'm just being realistic. A three hour round trip drive involving the LIE isn't my idea of a relaxing night out. Most people are likely to dine close to home.

I don't think Huntington locals are necessarily being geocentric. As you said, it's an awesome town. I think many people move here because there is so much to do. I'm not saying it's the center of the universe (that would be NYC ), but we love it! It encourages one to stay close to home. There's a reason we have so many visitors from other places on the weekends.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I'll give it a try if I'm ever in the neighborhood, but Wading River is literally 75-90 minutes from my home in Cold Spring Hills (Western Huntington). I'm not being geocentric, I'm just being realistic. A three hour round trip drive involving the LIE isn't my idea of a relaxing night out. Most people are likely to dine close to home.

I don't think Huntington locals are necessarily being geocentric. As you said, it's an awesome town. I think many people move here because there is so much to do. I'm not saying it's the center of the universe (that would be NYC ), but we love it! It encourages one to stay close to home. There's a reason we have so many visitors from other places on the weekends.

As does Port Jeff, Sayville, Babylon, The Hamptons etc etc etc.
Im just suggesting you give some other towns a try.

Huntingtons still a great drinking town thats blesssed with some really good eats.

I just thought of 2 more east of NY Ave to try, Tellers and Cliffs Elbow Room.

If you do make it out to La Plage and like Waynes stuff check out his Italian Sister, Carusos.
http://events.nytimes.com/2008/04/06.../06dineli.html
Yum...and what a bargain.

Peace

Crooks

Old 03-06-2010, 05:21 PM

152 posts, read 547,708 times
Quote:

Crooks

As John McEnroe would say, YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

Ever read your posts???

You're right though - Med Snack - best Greek salad ever!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times
My thoughts exactly! You have all these great amenities and restaurants w/in 10 minutes of your home. If you want to go out to eat Friday evening and you live in Huntington, why would one make a 1 hour drive to Nassau County? If you enjoy bumper to bumper traffic, I guess it's an option When we lived in Smithtown, 3/4's of time we ate IN Smithtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
As John McEnroe would say, YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

Ever read your posts???

You're right though - Med Snack - best Greek salad ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island