Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,315 times

Advertisements

My brother and I are both looking to get some Leyland Cypress' for privacy. I am going to head out to Cheap Sma's to see what they charge. I definetly want a quality product. I do not need it to die a year down the road. ANy recommendations of a place that I can buy from??? Any good or bad experiences would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM

5,515 posts, read 7,106,662 times
Ok this is the second time I'm referring Costco to you Dawn!

Back in 2004 I bought 24 Leyland Cypress from Costco, they were 3' tall in gallon containers. Paid $14.99 each. I planted them on two sides of my yard. Every single one of them flourished. They are now about 15' tall and provide complete privacy. They grow in any soil. I clipped them a few times and the regrowth came in nice and thick.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
I bought Leylands from Cheap Sam's and they are great.

Leylands are not transplant friendly so treat them nice and tender for the 1st year.

Costco has great plants but they are small.....really depends how big you need.

FYI Leylands are one of the fastest growing trees......12-30" in a year! I did not believe it but its true.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:55 PM

654 posts, read 2,120,315 times
What are the prices like at Sam's. I will definetly keep Costco in mind. In certain areas I am looking for about a 6-7 foot tree.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 PM

5,515 posts, read 7,106,662 times
Being that they grow 3 feet a year for the first five years I would get the smaller ones, save $$

Old 03-17-2010, 06:52 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I'm in the market as well for privacy vegatation.
I don't care what it is, as long as it grows super fast and completely blocks out my neighbors. Uh, money is of course a factor...

I was told privet hedges are cheap and can be bought at decent sizes, like 5-6 footers, as well as the Leylands/green giants/etc...But with those, there seems to be an awful lot of places selling them at different rates per size and I've also heard conflicting info as to the heartiness, as some are prone to disease and other crap.

I need to do this before I open my pool, so it's like crunch time right now.
Stupid neighbors cut down all the vegetation along my property line because they were scared to death of poison ivy, to which there was none. This sucks, because once spring came I had total and complete privacy in my yard. So once again my skel neighbors are going to cost me money.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,602 times
Make sure you dig or have a nice deep trench dug in fertile soil. Give them lots of water and and they will grow like wildfire. If you have any obstructions in the soil ie large rocks or anything you can't dig out, if you plant one there it will die. Survey the soil in the area you want to plant in and make sure.

I've planted a few 10 years ago and most are 15+ ft tall now. The ones that died or limped along were planted in an area above a retaining wall. So they didn't have room to grow.

I love mime they really add a lot of green to my yard. And it's my sanctuary. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:58 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm in the market as well for privacy vegatation.
I don't care what it is, as long as it grows super fast and completely blocks out my neighbors. Uh, money is of course a factor...

I was told privet hedges are cheap and can be bought at decent sizes, like 5-6 footers, as well as the Leylands/green giants/etc...But with those, there seems to be an awful lot of places selling them at different rates per size and I've also heard conflicting info as to the heartiness, as some are prone to disease and other crap.

I need to do this before I open my pool, so it's like crunch time right now.
Stupid neighbors cut down all the vegetation along my property line because they were scared to death of poison ivy, to which there was none. This sucks, because once spring came I had total and complete privacy in my yard. So once again my skel neighbors are going to cost me money.
they just want to be able to see you skinny dipping...

i'm in desperate need of getting privacy bushes as well ... i have..uh had.. pine trees along the back of my yard, which have pretty much died off... one of my projects this year is to rip them out (along with the 100 foot by 10 foot bed of ivy that's growing under them..ugh) and replace... leylands are on my radar screen.

i also saw another privacy type bush that grows rapidly in one of those seed/plant catalogues, i'll have to look when i get home and post the name up...

Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I hope they don't move this to the garden forum...I don't need to know how to plant shrubs in Kentucky. I looked over there for info but it's mostly discussions about other areas of the country, which obviously is of no use to us here on the Island.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
It shouldn't be moved because it is relevant to LI -- where to buy privacy bushes.

As for the OP's question -- I have used BB&GG on 25A in St James. DM me if you want their number.
They will deliver, plant and give a one year guarantee. I've been using them for years and they have been very good to us as customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: