Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times

Advertisements

I think many people on this board and on LI abroad are in the dark about the pay wages of various professions here. It isnt always by luck that people are still flopping down $400-450k for a home.

Just off the top of my head I can think of several jobs that pay 75-80K+. I think the reason why everything is so expensive here is b/c the salaries can afford it.

Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
I do agree. Everything is expensive on LI. Cashiers at Costco can make $60,000 without overtime after 10 years of service. People want to bash teachers/cops/etc. but the janitors at the schools are making $45,000 - $70,000. Most people I know lease expensive cars and have no problem tossing $500 bucks amonth away on a car there have to give back after 30 months. I understand everyone is feeling the pinch, but try to get a table at any restuarant on a Friday night, look at the cars in the parking lots. There are probably more BMW's and Benz's at LI malls right now, than there is in the entire Midwest! My true feeling is much of LI live beyond there means.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:34 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I do agree. Everything is expensive on LI. Cashiers at Costco can make $60,000 without overtime after 10 years of service. People want to bash teachers/cops/etc. but the janitors at the schools are making $45,000 - $70,000. Most people I know lease expensive cars and have no problem tossing $500 bucks amonth away on a car there have to give back after 30 months. I understand everyone is feeling the pinch, but try to get a table at any restuarant on a Friday night, look at the cars in the parking lots. There are probably more BMW's and Benz's at LI malls right now, than there is in the entire Midwest! My true feeling is much of LI live beyond there means.
Does that include stealing / drug dealing on school property?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I'm still using my Fred Flinstone era car - two logs and four stone wheels powered by two feet.
Actually, most of America is living beyond their means - now the rooster has come home to roost.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
..... My true feeling is much of LI live beyond there means.
That's the problem. At some point that will catch up with everyone - hence the financial crisis we're in now. It's people living beyond their paychecks.

That said, living within your paycheck if you make less than 50K a year here is difficult. Though there are a lot of jobs paying 70K+, there are also quite a few more offering 35K - depends on if you were able to go to college or not.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:42 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Yes, it's true that many people live above their means. It's also true that I don't pay for a Costco employee's salary, benefits, and pension (unless in a roundabout way, should I choose to shop there) - so I really don't care what they make.

I have a vested interest in what civil servants make and what their total compensation package is, since I help pay for it.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:57 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, it's true that many people live above their means. It's also true that I don't pay for a Costco employee's salary, benefits, and pension (unless in a roundabout way, should I choose to shop there) - so I really don't care what they make.

I have a vested interest in what civil servants make and what their total compensation package is, since I help pay for it.
I have to disagree.....private and public salaries are interlaced in the fact that they drive where people are employed. Supply and demand.

Let's take the cashier......if I can work as a cashier making $45,000, why would I want to be a janitor for a school cleaning up from every sick kid for $45,000?

How many people can teach high school calculus? I know I can't. I also can't speak spanish despite taking it for 4 years. Supply and demand. If you are a math teacher, you are set for life because there is a shortage.

Carpenters were fleeing unions during the housing boom, making tons of cash....why....supply and demand. Now these guys are dying for a union job again.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I have to disagree.....private and public salaries are interlaced in the fact that they drive where people are employed. Supply and demand.

Let's take the cashier......if I can work as a cashier making $45,000, why would I want to be a janitor for a school cleaning up from every sick kid for $45,000?

How many people can teach high school calculus? I know I can't. I also can't speak spanish despite taking it for 4 years. Supply and demand. If you are a math teacher, you are set for life because there is a shortage.

Carpenters were fleeing unions during the housing boom, making tons of cash....why....supply and demand. Now these guys are dying for a union job again.
Now even the unions can't find them jobs. Two weeks on, two weeks off.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:30 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:

Because you only work 9 months a year? It's really not that hard to be a janitor over the summer.

Because kids don't really get sick all over the place all that often and if you're a parent you've done it anyway. I've got 3 school age kids and a kid throwing up in the classroom has happened exactly once.

BEcasue you don't have to deal with the general public when you're a janitor. You're pretty much a behind the scenes guy. No "price check at register 10!" while your line grows longer and more impatient.

Because you are still a part of the state retirement system and your pension is guaranteed.

Because you like working with kids and yoru background doesn't allow you to be a teacher (I actually remember the janitors from my school days - they were really nice men who'd help you out with anything).

And so on.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
I can't begin to tell you how many of these guys showed up on my doorstep, dictating to me what they wanted to be paid and demanding under the table so as not to interfere with their unemployment checks! Everytime there's a downturn we see the same thing. Do I hire any? NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island