Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 06:13 PM

29 posts, read 107,460 times

Advertisements

We finally got our plans for our extension and I went and picked up the paperwork to file for our permit. On the directions it says a current survey. The survey that we have for the house is from 1956 when it was built. Will this be good or will my permit be denied. To me it is the current survey, the property lines have not changed.
Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM

465 posts, read 1,709,392 times
I used a copy of an older survey from 1992 when i filed for my permits in Huntington a few months ago. they required a new final survey in order to grant CO. thats when the can of worms opened.
Your property lines may have not changed but the structures on the property may ave been modified, added a shed, retaining wall, fence, etc.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
Your property lines may have not changed but the structures on the property may ave been modified, added a shed, retaining wall, fence, etc.
That's it exactly. It doesn't matter that your property lines haven't changed - other structures like a deck, portico, CAC unit, shed, garage, fence, etc. have probably been added since 1956. There's no way a survey from 54 years ago will be considered current. Don't even bother trying to say that to the town. It won't fly. You're going to need another survey. There's no way around it.

Also, if other structures have indeed been added, be prepared for the worms to be set free and more money to come out of your wallet. Ah, the joys of being a homeowner, especially on Long Island where improving your own house means even more money in the town's pocket!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 PM

29 posts, read 107,460 times
There are a few things new but we have co;s for them pool shed. The only thing I don't have a co for is a second shed. what can the town do to me for this. The can of worms you are talking about is just raising taxes or is it something else.
Al

Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
You will need a current survey. .......within the past 6 years

Old 04-02-2010, 06:22 AM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka2710 View Post
The only thing I don't have a co for is a second shed. what can the town do to me for this. The can of worms you are talking about is just raising taxes or is it something else.
The town can 'slap your wrist' for not getting a co for the second shed which means making you pay two, three, or four times the permit fee for it. And yes, your taxes will probably go up although I do think it takes some time for the increase to kick in. Don't be completely surprised if even other stuff is brought up once you have a new survey. There are so many things a permit is needed for; some don't even enter our minds but they enter the town inspector's eyes immediately.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:43 AM

465 posts, read 1,709,392 times
the can of worms refers to everything that has changed/been added to the property has to fulfill all aspects of current town code.
Are the sheds in locations with proper setbacks? does any structure encroach lot line, etc etc etc
you may have to change structures, locations or apply for variance relief depending on the situation.

if all you have additional is an additional shed, and its within the correct setbacks you will probably only have to pay built without permit fees. In huntington its 3x the regular fee.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 AM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
the can of worms refers to everything that has changed/been added to the property has to fulfill all aspects of current town code.
Are the sheds in locations with proper setbacks? does any structure encroach lot line, etc etc etc
you may have to change structures, locations or apply for variance relief depending on the situation.
Good point. The structures shown on your survey need a permit and have to be up to code. If they aren't, the town will make you correct whatever doesn't meet code standards or apply for a variance. If this happens, be prepared to lay out more money.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,335 times
On town of Hempstead.
I just purchased a house,
I need to replace inside the Insulation for the wall, get new appliances, replace windows.
For this type of work do I need a permit? Or what type of permit do I need? Is it difficult to get one as I search on the website but it's kind of confusing of the documents needed

Old 09-27-2015, 10:24 PM

300 posts, read 552,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.love.20 View Post
On town of Hempstead.
I just purchased a house,
I need to replace inside the Insulation for the wall, get new appliances, replace windows.
For this type of work do I need a permit? Or what type of permit do I need? Is it difficult to get one as I search on the website but it's kind of confusing of the documents needed
Windows don't need a permit unless you are moving them or changing a header size...

Insulation does not require a building permit but if you are gutting all of the interior drywall to install insulation then you need a demolition permit.

If you are just doing direct replacement on appliances you are fine. If you are moving appliances such as a gas stove, you are suppose to get a gas/plumbing permit.

You should talk to your contractor. He should be able to help you.

If you have any questions just shoot me a message. I know TOH really well.

Good luck!

Last edited by DesignBuild516; 09-27-2015 at 10:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island