Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times

Advertisements

I don't like taxes. Who does? They are a necessary evil to provide necessary services. Some of our tax money is wasted. I do feel that there should be spending cuts. But thinks like legislator member items & welfare should be looked at before bemoaning teacher compensation.

$4,142.73 is what I pay in school taxes for Lindenhurst this school year. Its a fair cost for a good education for my kids, if I have 1 or 4.

Would I like to pay less? Sure. But I'd also like to pay less to LIPA, KEYSPAN, and Allsate but its all part of the cost of living here.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:16 AM

152 posts, read 547,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In some cases that couldn't be further from the truth! (However I won't elaborate as it tends to annoy some of our frequent posters.)

BTW, is that a correllary to the ever popular "People who don't think LI police should make $100K are criminals?"
Excellent response to one of the dumbest comments I have ever read here on C-D.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 AM

152 posts, read 547,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
$4,142.73 is what I pay in school taxes for Lindenhurst this school year. Its a fair cost for a good education for my kids, if I have 1 or 4.

The thing that nobody seems to realize if your kids would've gotten the same education 20 years ago for a quarter of the price. But if you really believe it's worth it - and I say this with all sincerity - good for you! It's good when you believe you are getting your money's worth!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:12 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
The thing that nobody seems to realize if your kids would've gotten the same education 20 years ago for a quarter of the price. But if you really believe it's worth it - and I say this with all sincerity - good for you! It's good when you believe you are getting your money's worth!
I actually do. I understand people frustration though.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
People's frustration is over the (seemingly apparent to everyone else besides our elected leaders and school boards) fact that what worked in 1955 doesn't work anymore.

You can't have civil service people retiring at ages 40 to 55 then live an additional 30 to 40 years on a defined pension and subsidized health insurance. It is unsustainable economically.

Our leaders/union members must come to this realization, or Long Island is doomed financially.

Also we must change the tax structure of LI. Dumping everything on home owners while allowing illegal renters to live here without contributing to the tax base must stop. With all of our technology, why can't the county/town/school district find those who don't own a home or pay rent to a legal. registered apartment and slap them with a 3% income tax?

Old 04-04-2010, 10:21 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's the unions causing the problems with their unreasonable demands, NOT individual teachers.

You have to be kidding me. The UNIONS?? OK, believe that the unions are the problem. Blame all the administrators in the school system for wasting $.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 PM

57 posts, read 166,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
People's frustration is over the (seemingly apparent to everyone else besides our elected leaders and school boards) fact that what worked in 1955 doesn't work anymore.

You can't have civil service people retiring at ages 40 to 55 then live an additional 30 to 40 years on a defined pension and subsidized health insurance. It is unsustainable economically.

Our leaders/union members must come to this realization, or Long Island is doomed financially.

Also we must change the tax structure of LI. Dumping everything on home owners while allowing illegal renters to live here without contributing to the tax base must stop. With all of our technology, why can't the county/town/school district find those who don't own a home or pay rent to a legal. registered apartment and slap them with a 3% income tax?
A teacher cannot retire until 55 and collect a full pension. Perhaps people in other civil service professions can but certainly not teachers. Don't lump teachers in with other professions who you may hold grudges against.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:42 PM

292 posts, read 820,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander329 View Post
A teacher cannot retire until 55 and collect a full pension. Perhaps people in other civil service professions can but certainly not teachers. Don't lump teachers in with other professions who you may hold grudges against.
Not until 55?! Oh, the horror!!!

Old 04-04-2010, 01:43 PM

416 posts, read 698,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
Not until 55?! Oh, the horror!!!
LOL seriously

Old 04-04-2010, 01:45 PM

416 posts, read 698,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post

Great post. You provide excellent insight. I do find it amusing that anyone who questions the compensation is labelled a "basher" around here. I guess that means we're onto something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island