Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Smash

With the amount of money we spend on police, our crime rates should be even lower. The fact that people on here feel UNSAFE going to a Mall is a problem. I grew up in Western Pa where we could leave the doors open at night, so Nassau county is a downgrade from that respect.

The point is..we still have a lot of room for improvement. Lets not rest on the status quo. People should be allowed to voice their concerns here...legitimate ones I might add. One murder, rape, stabbing is one too many.

Frankly, as much as we pay our police here, having areas where we feel that unsafe is unacceptable. I, for one, won't be hanging around Green Acres mall anytime soon. Will you?
The issue is people are saying they feel "unsafe" based off flawed perception rather than actual facts. They are basing it off of a few isolated incidents, or worse yet the color of people's skin who they happen to be around. Now I don't know where in western PA you grew up, but chances are the crime rate in Nassau County is lower now than it was in the area of western PA you grew up where you felt safe to leave the doors open at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The issue is people are saying they feel "unsafe" based off flawed perception rather than actual facts. They are basing it off of a few isolated incidents, or worse yet the color of people's skin who they happen to be around. Now I don't know where in western PA you grew up, but chances are the crime rate in Nassau County is lower now than it was in the area of western PA you grew up where you felt safe to leave the doors open at night.
You know exactly what response this post will get, it'll go something like this:

"Crime rates don't mean anything, they just fix the numbers to make it seem like we're living better than we really are. Any time an incident occurs the cops just downgrade it to a lesser offense so it seems more safe. It's all a big conspiracy."

Completely neglecting the fact that if this were true, than it'd more than likely be true everywhere else in the country as well, and even "fixed" crime state would still be reflective of the relative "safety" of any area by comparison.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:26 AM

12 posts, read 30,103 times
Default Amityville House with Copaigue School

I saw this house in Amityville with copaigue school. The house is just above sunrisehighway 27 and is about 6 - 10 minutes to the Copaigue train station. Any one has any comments because this house is copaigue school? I've heard amityville is bad , but are there any positives?

thanks

Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
I'm not a fan of that part of Copaigue/Amityville. It's generally better below 27, and even more better below Montauk. I wouldn't call it dangerous, just kind of gritty.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:55 PM

12 posts, read 30,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I'm not a fan of that part of Copaigue/Amityville. It's generally better below 27, and even more better below Montauk. I wouldn't call it dangerous, just kind of gritty.

Thanks for the reply.

nd

Old 06-20-2009, 05:56 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
About the only positive is the sea breeze which keeps you much cooler during heat waves early in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeanew View Post
I saw this house in Amityville with copaigue school. The house is just above sunrisehighway 27 and is about 6 - 10 minutes to the Copaigue train station. Any one has any comments because this house is copaigue school? I've heard amityville is bad , but are there any positives?

thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Av3

3 posts, read 14,095 times
Amityville is not bad but North Amityville is. One of my friends had 2 cousins get shot within a few months time and they weren't related to gangs or drugs.

In terms of the schools, they are not the best but i don't know what drugs everyone is talking about. I go to the high school and the only drug is weed. You may say thats bad but i know right over the border in Massapequa there is a big heroin problem and I have heard stories of kids sniffing coke during class in Farmingdale. That you will not see in Amityville at all. As for the gangs, there really aren't any. There are kids who think they're tough but what school doesn't those kids. There are gangs in North Amityville but not in the schools. The kids in gangs basically just drop out.

Amityville has improved a lot over the past few years because the budget has been passing. In the middle school we had to take tests on giant yellow sheets of paper because the most people in south Amityville send there children to private school and vote the budget down. It has passed 4 or 5 years in a row and the district is now doing much better. I have actually done above on my regents and passed my chemistry regents with a good grade when more then half of the kids in New York State failed. I think it depends on the kid because if you show an effort in this district the teachers work with you and make you work to your full potential

Old 07-08-2009, 07:51 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
"Amityville is not bad but North Amityville is. One of my friends had 2 cousins get shot within a few months time and they weren't related to gangs or drugs."

Anyways,
I learned on theses boards people don't want to hear the truth and you have to be politically correct ( I understand people have a lot of pride or should where they live.... so I see why people get offended.) N. Amityville compared to S. Amityville or even N. Baldwin to S. Baldwin you can't say one is good and the other is bad no no no. You should say one is more more multicultural and because of that cultural diversity it seems different while I drive through. In my eyes not good or bad just alittle different.

Do you guys remember a professor of urban studies name Paul Cliterur or Scheffer or something like that said ..people from diverse cultural backgrounds backgrounds, in combination with multiculturalism, results in spontaneous ethnic segregation...(kind of like these boards) He also said that...Multiculturalism and immigration led to problems such as school drop- outs, unemployment, high crimes, prostitution, etc. And then there some people that call a spade a spade. It takes all kind to make the world go round.............

Last edited by BigMike50; 07-08-2009 at 08:35 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 AM

22 posts, read 66,997 times
Thumbs up Yes You Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av3 View Post
I have actually done above on my regents and passed my chemistry regents with a good grade when more then half of the kids in New York State failed. I think it depends on the kid because if you show an effort in this district the teachers work with you and make you work to your full potential

Keep up the good work!

Old 07-08-2009, 01:03 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
someone drive a car right through the mall once, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island