Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:46 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grepman View Post
I respectfully ask this question: Where were the Tea Partiers prior to the 2008 election? Are we saying that taxes were not outrageously high before then? Was the Government not spending too much back then? Did this all-of-a-sudden change? I'm trying to understand where all this anger has come from, and why it didn't exist (at least not in such a public way) before the election of our current President. Thanks.

-G

Pick one:

a)A sudden and profund understanding of the facts as Glen Beck sees it.

b)Long Island loves high taxes,school budgets and cops earning 160k (keeps the riff raff out ...sort of).

c)Racism

White people are pissed.

Crooks

Old 04-16-2010, 03:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
I just want to say thank you to Stephen Flanagan who organized the Tea Parties across Long Island Yesterday and everyone who showed up to support the movement in Massapequa Hauppauge, Riverhead, and Hicksville .

Long Island has been traditionally blue but I have seen more and more protesters lately throughout the Island. Looks like it's gaining traction.
lets keep it up.

Maybe we'll take our country back in November.

http://news12.com/articleDetail.jsp?...news_type=news
If the tea partiers are about saving money for the taxpayers, why don't you protest against the war machine? Foreign nation "building" and trying to force other countries to become democracies costs us the most of all and yet the tea partiers seem to act like it doesn't even exist and prefer to focus on any type of spending that helps people instead of killing them.

Did your tea party have anything to do with LOCAL taxes, such as property taxes, or was it all about NATIONAL taxes the tea partiers are against?

PS: While I'm asking questions ... are you male or female? I noticed crooks has referred to you as a she.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If the tea partiers are about saving money for the taxpayers, why don't you protest against the war machine? Foreign nation "building" and trying to force other countries to become democracies costs us the most of all and yet the tea partiers seem to act like it doesn't even exist and prefer to focus on any type of spending that helps people instead of killing them.

Did your tea party have anything to do with LOCAL taxes, such as property taxes, or was it all about NATIONAL taxes the tea partiers are against?

PS: While I'm asking questions ... are you male or female? I noticed crooks has referred to you as a she.
heh, yeah girls will be girls but I'm male last time I checked and a military veteran.

I don't protest the war machine. Supporting the national defense, the constitution, freedom and liberty are all cornerstones of the constitution.
Actually our retaliation against an unprovoked attack is surprisingly soft.

But keeping in the spirit of the post It was heartening to see Long Islanders that are speaking out against high taxes. sure it should have happened sooner whether it be a protest against republican or democrat. Long Islanders have been slammed with nation wide high taxes and incredulous fraud, waste, and abuse of the peoples trust.

I have been all over our world and have lived in many states at the behest of Uncle Sams and my own reasons and never have I seen so much money taken from hard working citizens as I have seen on Long Island.

Whether it be Glen Becks doctrine or someone elses we all know something is amiss.

The sons of Liberty didn't tolerate it .That was a major catalyst of us becoming a free country.

I am concerned about what is coming down the pipeline for Long Island. Tanning taxes,soda taxes,burger taxes,MTA taxes etc...

Now Long Islanders are banding together and speaking out.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
heh, yeah girls will be girls but I'm male last time I checked and a military veteran.

I don't protest the war machine. Supporting the national defense, the constitution, freedom and liberty are all cornerstones of the constitution.

But keeping in the spirit of the post It was heartening to see Long Islanders that are speaking out against high taxes. sure it should have happened sooner whether it be a protest against republican or democrat. Long Islanders have been slammed with nation wide high taxes and incredulous fraud, waste, and abuse of the peoples trust.

I have been all over our world and have lived in many states at the behest of Uncle Sams and my own reasons and never have I seen so much money taken from hard working citizens as I have seen on Long Island.

Whether it be Glen Becks doctrine or someone elses we all know something is amiss.

The sons of Liberty didn't tolerate it .That was a major catalyst of us becoming a free country.

I am concerned about what is coming down the pipeline for Long Island. Tanning taxes,soda taxes,burger taxes,MTA taxes etc...

Now Long Islanders are banding together and speaking out.
Wow.. was I wrong.

Although we dont agree on politics (or Rocky Point), Im sorry if I called you a girl (I was mistaken) and more importantly thank you for your service to our Country.

FWIW the head of the Conservative party and the only Conservative on the Brookhaven town board are both here.If youre really passionate about the movement, you should get in touch and volunteer.
Theyre good people ...and good neighbors.

Lay off the Glen Beck... but speak truth to Power.
The battle isnt Federal its local.

Crooks

Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Wow.. was I wrong.

Although we dont agree on politics (or Rocky Point), Im sorry if I called you a girl (I was mistaken) and more importantly thank you for your service to our Country.

FWIW the head of the Conservative party and the only Conservative on the Brookhaven town board are both here.If youre really passionate about the movement, you should get in touch and volunteer.
Theyre good people ...and good neighbors.

Lay off the Glen Beck... but speak truth to Power.
The battle isnt Federal its local.

Crooks
I'm shocked Crooks. We actually see eye to eye on something.
I accept your apology and please accept mine in return. We have had a few heated exchanges but it is water under the bridge.
I will take your advice and seek out those individuals that want to advance the cause. Hopefully we can make a difference and restore a quality of life that Long Islanders haven't enjoyed for a long time. This is our Island and it is about time our leaders were held accountable.
Lets all get out and vote next November and make a difference.

http://www.myfreepress.net/media/petition_images/dont_tread_on_me.gif (broken link)

Last edited by Keeper; 04-17-2010 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Image copyrighted

Old 04-16-2010, 06:58 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Im glad to see so many fellow American patriots and constitutionalists on the LI board. I guess their is hope for us afterall! My only complaint is that I never find out where the rallies are being held until after they occur

Quote:
Agreed. Had I been in charge the response would have been a much, much, much larger force being sent to Afghanistan (think corps or army group size). We relied too much on Special Operations troops, airpower, and our so called Afghan "allies" who's concept of fighting was to fire a few unaimed shots and go home and leave us to call in airstrikes and do the actual fighting. Most Americans don't know that at the time (in late 2001/early 2002) we had barely 4,000 troops in country .... that amounts to roughly a single Brigade Combat Team - and the majority of those were Special Operations troops and their associated support troops (medical, logistics, aviation, staff, etc).

Old 04-16-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Im glad to see so many fellow American patriots and constitutionalists on the LI board. I guess their is hope for us afterall! My only complaint is that I never find out where the rallies are being held until after they occur

Agreed. Had I been in charge the response would have been a much, much, much larger force being sent to Afghanistan (think corps or army group size). We relied too much on Special Operations troops, airpower, and our so called Afghan "allies" who's concept of fighting was to fire a few unaimed shots and go home and leave us to call in airstrikes and do the actual fighting. Most Americans don't know that at the time (in late 2001/early 2002) we had barely 4,000 troops in country .... that amounts to roughly a single Brigade Combat Team - and the majority of those were Special Operations troops and their associated support troops (medical, logistics, aviation, staff, etc).
Here you go. I hope this helps.Good stuff

Long Island Tea Party Coalition | Home

http://patchogue.reteaparty.com/

http://www2.timesreview.com/NR/Stories/R030410_TEA_mw

http://frankseabrook.com/2010/04/12/riverhead-waterfront-tax-day-tea-party/ (broken link)

Old 04-16-2010, 07:45 PM

37 posts, read 281,267 times
What Grepman said.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:45 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
The Island should have had it's own Tea Party Movement decades ago. When the Republicans were running Suffolk they spent without taxing. Pat Halprin came along in '88/89 and instead of cutting services raised Suffolk's taxes to make up the deficit of the Republican spending. Plenty of dirt on everyone's hands.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:11 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,412 times
I to want to say thank you to Stephen Flanagan for backing up traffic on sunrise and most likely contribuiting to the auto accident that made my commute 15 min longer than usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island