Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 PM

659 posts, read 2,518,146 times

Advertisements

I don't think you will have a problem in Wantagh or any town for that matter. Each experience is individual and most people are accepting. Every town has accepting types and racist types. Nobody can make a statement that a specific town is a certain way...there are 100's to 1000's of people in each town. This board can't speak for each person in the town...only demographics (you can find racists in "liberal" towns too).

Find an area you like and move there. As long as you are quiet, neat, and a nice neighbor, most people won't care what your race is (or at least they won't make it an issue).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
South Shore = Racist. Gotcha.

Blanket statements like this are ridiculous.
Gpsma isn't calling the entire south shore racist. I grew up in the area he refers to, and many residents there want to live amongst people like themselves. I can't speak specifically for Wantagh, but I have to be truthful about Massapequa. Even my old HS is still one of the whitest high schools on LI.

A cross was burned on the front lawn of a black family a few blocks from my parent's Massapequa house. It was in the later 1970's,the action was extreme, but things haven't changed all that much.

Honesty is the best policy.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 04-30-2010 at 11:27 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I don't know why you think I'm attacking you but I am not. I am simply saying that the South Shore is not a bastion of liberal diversity. I don't think having a wife who is half hispanic exactly makes your family stand out in the lily whiteness of Massapequa.
My mom's 100% Hispanic with lily white skin and dark hair. She blended in well.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
No Jews, huh?
Someone's got to put the Matzoh in Matzoh-Pizza!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:24 AM

137 posts, read 356,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
No Jews, huh?

yea, in matza-pizza.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:25 AM

137 posts, read 356,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Gpsma isn't calling the entire south shore racist. I grew up in the area he refers to, and many residents there want to live amongst people like themselves. I can't speak specifically for Wantagh, but I have to be truthful about Massapequa. Even my old HS is still one of the whitest high schools on LI.

A cross was burned on the front lawn of a black family a few blocks from my parent's Massapequa house. It was in the later 1970's,the action was extreme, but things haven't changed all that much.

Honesty is the best policy.
oh yea, a black family rented out a house across the street from me and someone shot thier windows with bullets and they moved out the next day!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:30 AM

136 posts, read 492,796 times
I grew up in East Massapequa (portion in the Amityville school district). And I can tell you that there were times you'd definetly get a sense of being "unwelcomed" when venturing into the "lily whiteness" (just quoting gpsma!) of Massapequa proper and places like Seaford and Wantagh. Now this isn't all the time and I had friends in those areas, but there were times you'd definetly get the sense from certain people in those areas that you were out of place.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:51 AM

432 posts, read 1,594,362 times
It's 2010, live where you want to. We had a pile of white trash living next door, it was the first time I ever smelled crack in my life.
Then a black family moved it, they could not be nicer.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:04 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,513,384 times
I don't' think you would have any problems whatsoever.

Wantagh is very conservative, and maybe a little stuck-up (in it's own, quiet way) but I don't think it's racist at all. There have been major problems with race and ethnicity on LI in the last few years, but Nassau has gotten a lot more diverse....so even though Wantagh is pretty much all white, it's nothing shocking to see Indian, Hispanic, black, Asian, etc. families on a daily basis. I've never heard of anyone having problems.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:05 PM

162 posts, read 383,533 times
baldwin harbor (south) is very diverse, and nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island